Money or happiness?

Scottish Mag

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :D ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Besides, I've got too much debt to take a paycut now, even if I wanted to. With any luck once I get them sorted and start putting some away, I'll be able to retire early(ish).

PS what he said!

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :gettin: ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Besides, I've got too much debt to take a paycut now, even if I wanted to. With any luck once I get them sorted and start putting some away, I'll be able to retire early(ish).

Would anyone seriously employ this fella as their accountant? :D

my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about).

What exactly were you expecting from accountancy? A jet-set lifestyle meeting some of the world's most beautiful women while completing extreme accountancy tasks in some of the dangerous warzones in the world? :D

my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about).

What exactly were you expecting from accountancy? A jet-set lifestyle meeting some of the world's most beautiful women while completing extreme accountancy tasks in some of the dangerous warzones in the world? :D

I think he'd settle for a quick fumble in the typing pool, but no takers there either.

Well so far I've had 3 and a half years working abroad, so it hasn't been all bad. :gettin:

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :D ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

My charge-out rate would preclude it. :gettin:

An accountant cooking the books? Well I never.... :D

I like my job but I'm very underpaid and tbh the resentment I feel is beginning to take its toll on the enjoyment I get from it. If I don't see any career advancement shortly I'll probably have to consider moving to pastures new at the expense of an easy life.

Anyway, I don't do personal accountant type stuff. It involves too much specific knowledge and keeping on top of changes in tax rules and all that shite. Working for a big company allows me to have a very very vague recollection of the stuff I did in my exams, and coupled with a bit of common sense I'm able to blag my way from one day to the next.

I did this on the old toontastic before, but...

Counsellor: Ah Mr Gemmill. Do sit down.

Gemmill: Thank you. Take the weight off the feet, eh?

Counsellor: Yes, yes.

Gemmill: Lovely weather for the time of year, I must say.

Counsellor: Enough of this gay banter. And now Mr Gemmill, you asked us to advise you which job in life you were best suited for.

Gemmill: That is correct, yes.

Counsellor: Well I now have the results here of the interviews and the aptitude tests that you took last week, and from them we've built up a pretty clear picture of the sort of person that you are. And I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that the ideal job for you is chartered accountancy.

Gemmill: But I am a chartered accountant.

Counsellor: Jolly good. Well back to the office with you then.

Gemmill: No! No! No! You don't understand. I've been a chartered accountant for the last twenty years. I want a new job. Something exciting that will let me live.

Counsellor: Well chartered accountancy is rather exciting isn't it?

Gemmill: Exciting? No it's not. It's dull. Dull. Dull. My God it's dull, it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and des-per-ate-ly DULL.

Counsellor: Well, er, yes Mr Gemmill, but you see your report here says that you are an extremely dull person. You see, our experts describe you as an appallingly dull fellow, unimaginative, timid, lacking in initiative, spineless, easily dominated, no sense of humour, tedious company and irrepressibly drab and awful. And whereas in most professions these would be considerable drawbacks, in chartered accountancy they are a positive boon.

Gemmill: But don't you see, I came here to find a new job, a new life, a new meaning to my existence. Can't you help me?

Counsellor: Well, do you have any idea of what you want to do?

Gemmill: Yes, yes I have.

Counsellor: What?

Gemmill: (boldly) Lion taming.

Counsellor: Well yes. Yes. Of course, it's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You don't think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say, via banking?

Gemmill: No, no, no, no. No. I don't want to wait. At nine o'clock tomorrow I want to be in there, taming.

Counsellor: Fine, fine. But do you, do you have any qualifications?

Gemmill: Yes, I've got a hat.

Counsellor: A hat?

Gemmill: Yes, a hat. A lion taming hat. A hat with 'lion tamer' on it. I got it at Harrods. And it lights up saying 'lion tamer' in great big neon letters, so that you can tame them after dark when they're less stroppy.

Counsellor: I see, I see.

Gemmill: And you can switch it off during the day time, and claim reasonable wear and tear as allowable professional expenses under paragraph 335C...

Counsellor: Yes, yes, yes, I do follow, Mr Gemmill, but you see the snag is... if I now call Mr Chipperfield and say to him, 'look here, I've got a forty-five-year-old chartered accountant with me who wants to become a lion tamer', his first question is not going to be 'does he have his own hat?' He's going to ask what sort of experience you've had with lions.

Gemmill: Well I... I've seen them at the zoo.

Counsellor: Good, good, good.

Gemmill: Lively brown furry things with short stumpy legs and great long noses. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I could tame one of those. They look pretty tame to start with.

Counsellor: And these, er, these lions, how high are they?

Gemmill: (indicating a height of one foot) Well they're about so high, you know. They don't frighten me at all.

Counsellor: Really. And do these lions eat ants?

Gemmill: Yes, that's right.

Counsellor: Er, well, Mr Gemmill, I'm afraid what you've got hold of there is an anteater.

Gemmill: A what?

Counsellor: An anteater. Not a lion. You see a lion is a huge savage beast, about five feet high, ten feet long, weighing about four hundred pounds, running forty miles per hour, with masses of sharp pointed teeth and nasty long razor-sharp claws that can rip your belly open before you can say 'Eric Robinson', and they look like THIS !

Counsellor: Now, shall I call Mr Chipperfield?

Gemmill: Er, no, no, no. I think your idea of making the transition to lion taming via easy stages, say via insurance...

Counsellor: Or banking.

Gemmill: Or banking, yes, yes, banking that's a man's life, isn't it? Banking, travel, excitement, adventure, thrills, decisions affecting people's lives.

Counsellor: Jolly good, well, er, shall I put you in touch with a bank?

Gemmill: Yes.

Counsellor: Fine.

Gemmill: No, no, no. Look, er, it's a big decision, I'd like a couple of weeks to think about it... er... you know, don't want to jump into it too quickly. Maybe three weeks. I could let you know definitely then, I just don't want to make this definite decision. I'm er... (continues muttering nervously to himself)

Counsellor: (turning to camera) Well this is just one of the all too many cases on our books of chartered accountancy. The only way that we can fight this terrible debilitating social disease, is by informing the general public of its consequences, by showing young people that it's just not worth it. So, so please... give generously... to this address:

The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" B) ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

My charge-out rate would preclude it. :D

Anyway, I don't do personal accountant type stuff. It involves too much specific knowledge and keeping on top of changes in tax rules and all that shite. Working for a big company allows me to have a very very vague recollection of the stuff I did in my exams, and coupled with a bit of common sense I'm able to blag my way from one day to the next.

I'd for your bosses to read that. :gettin:

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" B) ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Is that an HTT-esque post for "I'm too fucking lazy to do personal accountacy?" :D

I like my job but I'm very underpaid and tbh the resentment I feel is beginning to take its toll on the enjoyment I get from it. If I don't see any career advancement shortly I'll probably have to consider moving to pastures new at the expense of an easy life.

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. :D

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. :gettin:

Didn't you sell all of the plebs out though and side with management? :D

Is that an HTT-esque post for "I'm too fucking lazy to do personal accountacy?" :D

HTT-esque? All 3 sentences of it. B) It's not a question of laziness anyway - if I'm bored now, can you imagine how bored I'd be keeping on top of changes in personal tax rules and allowances. Snoozefest tbh.

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. :D

I'd love to say the same thing, but RobW would only bite my head off.

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. B)

Didn't you sell all of the plebs out though and side with management? :gettin:

:D Not sure if everyone on here knows about GM's Christmas Party brown-nosing. For anyone that missed it, a load of redundancies were announced on the day of GM's Christmas party. He dodged the bullet, then sat next to the axe-wielder at the Christmas Do licking up to her. All of his colleagues now DESPISE him. :D:D

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. :gettin:

I'd love to say the same thing, but RobW would only bite my head off.

:D

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :nufc: ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Is that an HTT-esque post for "I'm too fucking lazy to do personal accountacy?" B)

HTT-esque? All 3 sentences of it. B) It's not a question of laziness anyway - if I'm bored now, can you imagine how bored I'd be keeping on top of changes in personal tax rules and allowances. Snoozefest tbh.

7 words would have done! :nufc:

Anyway, need we remind you that you chose accountancy as a career :gettin:

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. B)

:D Not sure if everyone on here knows about GM's Christmas Party brown-nosing. For anyone that missed it, a load of redundancies were announced on the day of GM's Christmas party. He dodged the bullet, then sat next to the axe-wielder at the Christmas Do licking up to her. All of his colleagues now DESPISE him. B):D

:gettin:

I'm no scab btw, to put the record straight. Quite the contrary in fact, I was stabbed in the back by colleagues in a recent pay review, hence my bitterness.

:D Not sure if everyone on here knows about GM's Christmas Party brown-nosing. For anyone that missed it, a load of redundancies were announced on the day of GM's Christmas party. He dodged the bullet, then sat next to the axe-wielder at the Christmas Do licking up to her. All of his colleagues now DESPISE him. B):D

:gettin:

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :nufc: ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Is that an HTT-esque post for "I'm too fucking lazy to do personal accountacy?" B)

I'm yet to meet any accountant who chose accountancy as a career.

You just sort of fall into it then realise after three years that there is no turning back. You've turned to the dark side and the door back to the light is slammed shut.

Still at least it ain't tax, now that would be a dull job

An accountant cooking the books? Well I never.... B)

HTT-esque? All 3 sentences of it. :nufc: It's not a question of laziness anyway - if I'm bored now, can you imagine how bored I'd be keeping on top of changes in personal tax rules and allowances. Snoozefest tbh.

I'm yet to meet any accountant who chose accountancy as a career.

You just sort of fall into it then realise after three years that there is no turning back. You've turned to the dark side and the door back to the light is slammed shut.

Still at least it ain't tax, now that would be a dull job

:D You an'all then. :nufc: