Money or happiness?

Scottish Mag

I like my job but I'm very underpaid and tbh the resentment I feel is beginning to take its toll on the enjoyment I get from it. If I don't see any career advancement shortly I'll probably have to consider moving to pastures new at the expense of an easy life.

Same here. It takes the piss how hard they have me working for the pittance they pay me. Totally takes the piss. :nufc:

Didn't you sell all of the plebs out though and side with management? :D

:D Not sure if everyone on here knows about GM's Christmas Party brown-nosing. For anyone that missed it, a load of redundancies were announced on the day of GM's Christmas party. He dodged the bullet, then sat next to the axe-wielder at the Christmas Do licking up to her. All of his colleagues now DESPISE him. B)B)

:gettin:

I'm no scab btw, to put the record straight. Quite the contrary in fact, I was stabbed in the back by colleagues in a recent pay review, hence my bitterness.

:D

Renton to his line manager: Et tu, Brute?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get paid decent money (I put "earn" initially and changed it to "get paid" :nufc: ) but my job is shite. Really fucking boring. Having said that, I think I'm just one of those people who is never going to enjoy work too much - 10 years I've been doing it for now, and it's pretty much always been shite (hence the time spent pissing about). So I'll stick with the good money and the crap job tbh.

Besides, I've got too much debt to take a paycut now, even if I wanted to. With any luck once I get them sorted and start putting some away, I'll be able to retire early(ish).

Would anyone seriously employ this fella as their accountant? :D

My charge-out rate would preclude it. :D

An accountant cooking the books? Well I never.... B)

Anyway, I don't do personal accountant type stuff. It involves too much specific knowledge and keeping on top of changes in tax rules and all that shite. Working for a big company allows me to have a very very vague recollection of the stuff I did in my exams, and coupled with a bit of common sense I'm able to blag my way from one day to the next.

Is that an HTT-esque post for "I'm too fucking lazy to do personal accountacy?" B)

HTT-esque? All 3 sentences of it. :nufc: It's not a question of laziness anyway - if I'm bored now, can you imagine how bored I'd be keeping on top of changes in personal tax rules and allowances. Snoozefest tbh.

7 words would have done! :nufc:

Anyway, need we remind you that you chose accountancy as a career :gettin:

I'm yet to meet any accountant who chose accountancy as a career.

You just sort of fall into it then realise after three years that there is no turning back. You've turned to the dark side and the door back to the light is slammed shut.

Still at least it ain't tax, now that would be a dull job

:D You an'all then. :nufc:

What I really don't understand though is how PwC got voted the graduates no1 choice of employer for the past 3 years.

They must go through the checklist:

Long hours. Check

Lower pay than your main rivals. Check

More exam stress. Check

Fear of becoming an accountant. Check.

Yay. No 1 choice of employer! Whoohoo :nufc:

Accountants are message board spammers extraordinaires btw, never known such a bunch of loafers. Anyone remember toontoon from the SMB?

Aye I think he was at Ernst and Young in Manchester. Remember having a brief conversation with him on there a few years ago and mentioned PwC. Next day I come into work to an email with the subject "Gemmill?!" from a lad I worked with in Newcastle office (I was in SF at the time) saying "That has to be you, you twat!". Busted! :D

What I really don't understand though is how PwC got voted the graduates no1 choice of employer for the past 3 years.

They must go through the checklist:

Long hours. Check

Lower pay than your main rivals. Check

More exam stress. Check

Fear of becoming an accountant. Check.

Yay. No 1 choice of employer! Whoohoo :D

Not forgetting:

Potential to be out of a job by Christmas if you fail your exams. Check.

Edited by Gemmill

Pretty much the situation I'm in tbh. My company offer such good benefits (company car, private fuel, healthcare, final salary pension, decent salary) that it'll almost be impossible for me to find a better deal in the industry.

I've been here 7 years now and can't see myself moving on any time soon.

My mate chose to be an accountant, and is about to start his training. Is he mad?

I'd call the white coats.

It's a job which can pay pretty well (and also pretty poorly if you get a bad firm) but has little 'rearding factor'. Despite the cushy number Gemmill now has it also involves lots of hard work and long hours.

If he doesn't mind that then there's worse things to do with life, but also a hell of a lot more rewarding careers

My mate chose to be an accountant, and is about to start his training. Is he mad?

I'd call the white coats.

It's a job which can pay pretty well (and also pretty poorly if you get a bad firm) but has little 'rearding factor'. Despite the cushy number Gemmill now has it also involves lots of hard work and long hours.

If he doesn't mind that then there's worse things to do with life, but also a hell of a lot more rewarding careers

He's working in St Ives near Cambridge as well. And he's just finshed a degree in computing. I think he's off his rocker.

I am getting offered my contract next month but have had hints from other people it won't be the kind if salary I was hoping for. Problem is I am happy in where I work at the moment and having only graduated last year after going back into full time education on the back of being miserable in my last job I dunno what I should do if the money isn't really "good enough".

I am getting offered my contract next month but have had hints from other people it won't be the kind if salary I was hoping for. Problem is I am happy in where I work at the moment and having only graduated last year after going back into full time education on the back of being miserable in my last job I dunno what I should do if the money isn't really "good enough".

Well, it's no use worrying about stuff you can't do owt about. You may as well wait and see what they offer you, then consider your options. Even if it's lower than you'd hoped for, you still have your job and it's better to look for a job when you're in work than when you aren't.

Aye, alex is right. Take the offer, whatever it is, but if you aren't happy look for something else. Once you get stuck on a certain level salary-wise, it's hard to make significant increases without moving jobs, unless you have some sort of agreement in place with your boss when you accept the offer.

Which is something you could do btw - have an up-front conversation making it clear that you aren't ecstatic with the pay but realise that it's your first post-uni graduate job, and would like some idea of how he sees your career and your salary developing. If he's non-commital or doesn't see your problem, then you know you're probably going to have to move after a while.

Well, it's no use worrying about stuff you can't do owt about. You may as well wait and see what they offer you, then consider your options. Even if it's lower than you'd hoped for, you still have your job and it's better to look for a job when you're in work than when you aren't.

Sage advice, even if the first part is impossible for most people.

how the feck would they know?

• 1 year later...
Right now its happiness as everything is going great and I am really loving my job and what I am getting to achieve from it! And if it continues that way I will be getting some extra money so the best of both worlds!

Fact is if you love doing something enough, you don't need to be paid to do it.

But no amount of money will make you love doing something you hate, it just might be enough to balance it out with allowing you to do other things as well.