Emre

ewerk

I think some of the problems we have today and labeled racism are due to this inane drive for political correctness and the loss of past values when things were said without a meaning of disrespect.

I recall that in my younger days "nigger brown" merely meant a dark brown and it was a common expression used mostly by girls to describe the colour of their new shoes or coats, and there was nothing racist about it.

When Agatha Christie wrote her book "Ten Little Niggers" I don't think she meant it as a racist expression, however it was changed later to "Ten Little Indians". Sooner or later the Indian tribes may make a fuss about that!!

Fancy a cup of "black" coffee? oooooh.

Things are often said in the heat of the moment and not really meant to be taken the way they sometimes are.

If a black guy called me a white something or other I think I'd burst out laughing, after all I am white. :D

You can't compare being called white with being called black to be fair. There isn't any long history of white persecution from black people.

I'm sure many here in the North East feel that there is a London bias in the media and that the North East is forgotten and patronised. A Londoner could say "I wouldn't mind if the North East media forgot about us" because it doesn't affect him in the same way.

It's not for white people to decide how black people should feel, but referring to somebody as a "black" bastard is racist. No argument.

Call the guy a cnut, a wanker, a prick, a bastard but leave colour out of it.

I think political correctness is often abused but not in this case.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of the problems we have today and labeled racism are due to this inane drive for political correctness and the loss of past values when things were said without a meaning of disrespect.

I recall that in my younger days "nigger brown" merely meant a dark brown and it was a common expression used mostly by girls to describe the colour of their new shoes or coats, and there was nothing racist about it.

When Agatha Christie wrote her book "Ten Little Niggers" I don't think she meant it as a racist expression, however it was changed later to "Ten Little Indians". Sooner or later the Indian tribes may make a fuss about that!!

Things are often said in the heat of the moment and not really meant to be taken the way they sometimes are.

If a black guy called me a white something or other I think I'd burst out laughing, after all I am white. :D

You can't compare being called white with being called black to be fair. There isn't any long history of white persecution from black people.

I'm sure many here in the North East feel that there is a London bias in the media and that the North East is forgotten and patronised. A Londoner could say "I wouldn't mind if the North East media forgot about us" because it doesn't affect him in the same way.

It's not for white people to decide how black people should feel, but referring to somebody as a "black" bastard is racist. No argument.

Aye, spot on.

Aye, spot on.

The problem with that is that as much as we like to martyr ourselves (for example consistently apologising for slavery when it had been going on on a huge scale for THOUSANDS of years before we got in on it, along with most every other colonial power I might add - Britain was actually one of the (if not the) first to BAN slavery and export such a ban around our then empire which effectively stopped it in much of the world, but there's never a mention of that – not to mention that the FEUDAL system in the British Isles was SLAVERY as well, and such things as the old system of “service” was effective slavery and was still going on within the lifetime of people that are still alive in the UK now).

In most other places it's not the same, in many arabic and west asian states black and asian don't get on at all (unfortunately black and asian racism and violence and death is the fastest rising racist crimes in the UK presently :D, there was those spate of horrific murders last year, but they were barely covered in the press) with black people being treated in a completely racist way.

In africa it tends to be the other way around (with specific exceptions like Dafur) with black people persecuting asians.

White people are also racially abused in much of africa (work in Ghana for a while and you'll likely get death threats or even a contract out on your life for being white).

We cannot enforce our morality on the rest of the world, that is just as wrong as any other time of imperialism (moral imperialism), yet equally accepting it is never going to happen, fortunately most people in the UK and indeed West just simply don’t KNOW what the world is like.

Although equally it’s not like white people have a monopoly on persecution, look at the Moorish invasion of Spain, or the Islamic invasion of southern Europe (which is still being fought as we speak tbh), or the Turkish destruction of Armenia.

Calling someone a “black bastard” is wrong (but it’s not that much different to calling some one a “ginger bastard” – it’s just singling out a different genetic aspect), however it’s certainly no different to calling someone a “white bastard” or a “goree bastard” at all.

It is equality for ALL, or there is no such thing as equality. (pseudo-equality or positive discrimination is just racism plain and simple)

Having said that I've no time for the ever more insidious increase of PC nonsense.

I know an old dear that got reported to the police for calling out "Here Blackie" to her 16 year old black and white sheep dog (called Blackie) in the park.

Guest Patrokles

Aye, spot on.

The problem with that is that as much as we like to martyr ourselves (for example consistently apologising for slavery when it had been going on on a huge scale for THOUSANDS of years before we got in on it, along with most every other colonial power I might add - Britain was actually one of the (if not the) first to BAN slavery and export such a ban around our then empire which effectively stopped it in much of the world, but there's never a mention of that – not to mention that the FEUDAL system in the British Isles was SLAVERY as well, and such things as the old system of “service” was effective slavery and was still going on within the lifetime of people that are still alive in the UK now).

In most other places it's not the same, in many arabic and west asian states black and asian don't get on at all (unfortunately black and asian racism and violence and death is the fastest rising racist crimes in the UK presently :D, there was those spate of horrific murders last year, but they were barely covered in the press) with black people being treated in a completely racist way.

In africa it tends to be the other way around (with specific exceptions like Dafur) with black people persecuting asians.

White people are also racially abused in much of africa (work in Ghana for a while and you'll likely get death threats or even a contract out on your life for being white).

We cannot enforce our morality on the rest of the world, that is just as wrong as any other time of imperialism (moral imperialism), yet equally accepting it is never going to happen, fortunately most people in the UK and indeed West just simply don’t KNOW what the world is like.

Although equally it’s not like white people have a monopoly on persecution, look at the Moorish invasion of Spain, or the Islamic invasion of southern Europe (which is still being fought as we speak tbh), or the Turkish destruction of Armenia.

Calling someone a “black bastard” is wrong (but it’s not that much different to calling some one a “ginger bastard” – it’s just singling out a different genetic aspect), however it’s certainly no different to calling someone a “white bastard” or a “goree bastard” at all.

It is equality for ALL, or there is no such thing as equality. (pseudo-equality or positive discrimination is just racism plain and simple)

Having said that I've no time for the ever more insidious increase of PC nonsense.

I know an old dear that got reported to the police for calling out "Here Blackie" to her 16 year old black and white sheep dog (called Blackie) in the park.

Was she about to set him on the Asian lad just in front of her, though?

Aye, spot on.

In most other places it's not the same, in many arabic and west asian states black and asian don't get on at all (unfortunately black and asian racism and violence and death is the fastest rising racist crimes in the UK presently B), there was those spate of horrific murders last year, but they were barely covered in the press) with black people being treated in a completely racist way.

She deserved it, Blackie is a shit name for a dog tbf. :D

If there's enough evidence from the Everton match, why bother with these additional ones? It's all desperation now from the FA. Scapegoat.

Agree. I don't think they have enough on him and are desperately trying to fill the shopping basket.

No but clearly it was a menace as there were probably children somewhere nearby (maybe), I believe a 13 week old puppy was shot the same day for "looking like it might lick someone". B)

True not my taste either, but it was a pretty common name for that sort of dog once upon a time (it also happens to be the name of Eric Claptons favourite guitar - dunno how he's got away with that - and tbh I don't how you can live in the UK these days if your surname is "Blackie" :D ) and at her age something easy to remember is probably for the best.

It's fair to say racism and bigotry is not directed at one particular race or colour although the black race seem to bear the brunt..

Many years ago I remember a coversation going on between two of my aunts in the presence of my grandmother about a local girl having a relationship with a "darkie" and having a "coloured" baby. My dear old grandmother piped in saying, "could be worse, could be a Jap"

Obviously her thoughts and feelings were driven by the fact that one of my uncles had been captured by those " slant-eyed yellow bastards" who had not treated him as nicely as those "square-headed kraut bastards" had treated another of my uncles.

Deep down inside is there a trace of racism in all of us that we would protest and vehemently deny?

It's fair to say racism and bigotry is not directed at one particular race or colour although the black race seem to bear the brunt..

Many years ago I remember a coversation going on between two of my aunts in the presence of my grandmother about a local girl having a relationship with a "darkie" and having a "coloured" baby. My dear old grandmother piped in saying, "could be worse, could be a Jap"

Obviously her thoughts and feelings were driven by the fact that one of my uncles had been captured by those " slant-eyed yellow bastards" who had not treated him as nicely as those "square-headed kraut bastards" had treated another of my uncles.

Deep down inside is there a trace of racism in all of us that we would protest and vehemently deny?

Racism is an extension of tribalism and the rejection of difference, a perfectly natural human trait. The enlightened generation are trying to re-write the human rule book by abhorring what are infact ingrained behaviours.

Racism will only be eliminated around about the same time as religious fervour, offensive use of violence, self interest, infidelity and envy

Good luck I say :unsure:

From a different time (although this is what I mean when I say if you go else where in the world today attitudes are often much more like the UK's in 1930-50 than the UK's now).

I mean they are likely make homosexuality illegal and an imprisonable offence in Nigeria soon (it already is in many hardline Muslim states).... is that "acceptable" in 2007? Apparently so there.

Although I must admit I can certainly understand "jap" hatred from anyone that lived through that time and experience or knew a PoW of theirs, if you don't understand why you should perhaps read up upon the situation, there was little difference between the Nazi death camp and Japanese PoW camps, in treatment, abuse or end result (mass death). :unsure:

And certainly there will still be people alive today that participated in it and experienced it, unlike say the slave trade which we stopped two hundred years ago (and are still apparently ALL to blame for).

Racism is an extension of tribalism and the rejection of difference, a perfectly natural human trait. The enlightened generation are trying to re-write the human rule book by abhorring what are infact ingrained behaviours.

Racism will only be eliminated around about the same time as religious fervour, offensive use of violence, self interest, infidelity and envy

Good luck I say <_<

Do you work for the BNP? :unsure:

Good luck I say <_<

Do you work for the BNP? :unsure:

I don't see it as an extremist view. I just calls it common sense <_<

• 2 weeks later...

No but clearly it was a menace as there were probably children somewhere nearby (maybe), I believe a 13 week old puppy was shot the same day for "looking like it might lick someone". :icon_lol:

True not my taste either, but it was a pretty common name for that sort of dog once upon a time (it also happens to be the name of Eric Claptons favourite guitar - dunno how he's got away with that - and tbh I don't how you can live in the UK these days if your surname is "Blackie" :lol: ) and at her age something easy to remember is probably for the best.

Isn't there a dog called nigger in a film. The dambusters I think?

Supposing it's true (which seems likely unfortunately) it wouldn't have been so bad if he'd owned up at the time. It would have been bang out of order to have said something like that but you could sort of understand it, if not condone it in anyway, as a 'heat of the moment' comment. The denials and excuses have made it worse.