Not a good sign.

sammynb

Real to consider Reds' Owen offer

Real Madrid's directors will meet on Tuesday to consider Liverpool's bid for England striker Michael Owen.

The 25-year-old met Anfield boss Rafael Benitez on Monday for talks, before also holding a meeting with Newcastle.

The St James' Park club have had a £17m offer accepted, but Liverpool are not willing to pay anything like that much.

Real vice-president Emilio Butragueno said: "We have received two bids from England one of which has been accepted already."

Butragueno added: "The other will be discussed by the directors today (Tuesday)." Liverpool are thought to have proposed a season-long loan deal, with a view to eventually repaying Real the £8m they bought Owen for.

However, the European champions could be in a position to offer more attractive terms to Madrid if they sell Djbril Cisse, with Marseille and Monaco both interested.

Real have warned Owen, however, that he will have to stay if Liverpool's offer is not satisfactory.

"If Owen doesn't want to join a particular club after we have accepted a bid then he will stay and fight for Real," said Butragueno.

"We can review the situation in January or at the end of the season if nothing happens this week."

Owen was left out of Madrid's squad for the first game of their season after falling behind Ronaldo, Raul, Julio Baptista and Robinho in the pecking order.

He travelled to England and met Benitez for two-and-a-half hours, before travelling to Northumberland.

There he met Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son, manager Graeme Souness, captain Alan Shearer and coach Dean Saunders.

Owen has said he would play for the Magpies only on a one-year loan deal, although the club are trying to persuade him of the merits of a permanent move before Wednesday's transfer deadline.

Newcastle said in a statement on their website: "England striker Michael Owen held talks with Newcastle about a move to St James' Park.

"Owen and his representatives met up with a delegation from United at a Northumberland hotel.

"Real Madrid accepted a club record offer from Newcastle last week, and it is now up to the player to decide where his future lies."

Shearer told BBC Five Live he has spent "a fortune in phone calls to Madrid" trying to sway his former England strike partner into choosing Newcastle.

"We have three days left to try to convince him to come here. We're still in there fighting for him," he said.

Shearer told Owen that the hero status he would enjoy with Newcastle fans would make a permanent move to the north east worthwhile.

"I know if he came here he would be loved. They love their goalscorers up here and he would be a hero," he added.

"I know better than anyone what reception he would get here. I've had several phone conversations with him.

"But I don't have to tell him what passionate supporters we are. In the end he'll make his own mind up and will do what is best for himself."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...rem/4196266.stm

Published: 2005/08/30 05:53:46 GMT

© BBC MMV

However

Newspaper reports will claim on Tuesday that Real Madrid striker Michael Owen has been offered a permanent deal by Newcastle with a get-out clause that would enable him to leave at the end of the season should he fail to settle.

Newcastle United chief Freddy Shepherd believes the former Liverpool hitman will opt for the north east following positive talks yesterday, thanks mainly to the involvement of skipper Alan Shearer.

Sources close to UpTheToon.com are now claiming that Owen has opted to sign for Newcastle and not Liverpool as the media expect. Unfortunately there's no official news either way at the moment so until then the speculation will continue.

Stay tuned and we'll keep you updated accordingly.

Edited by jonnyhall

However

Newspaper reports will claim on Tuesday that Real Madrid striker Michael Owen has been offered a permanent deal by Newcastle with a get-out clause that would enable him to leave at the end of the season should he fail to settle.

22233[/snapback]

If that is true then Newcastle are heading the way of Leeds.

How the fuck can we spend 17m on a player and then allow him a get out clause if he doesn't settle!

Ludicrous :D

Edited by sammynb

i suspect and hope that the get out clause wont allowed him to leave on the cheap. or maybe shepherd is confident that owen will love newcastle after a season up here and decide to stay after we finish in the top 4 again hopefully

Sorry jonnyhall but after reading your post regarding sacking Souness I think you have too much blind faith in the powers that be within NUFC.

If Owen wants a release clause he knows it will have to be a lot less than what we are allegedly paying for him.

Whatever way you look at it we are being screwed out of large wedge and there are no guarantees!

As much as it sticks in my throat, i cant blame owen for prefering liverpool.

If you were a player, who would you pick.......european champions or relegation candidates newcastle??

A player of his quality would expect to be in the champions league every year. We can only offer him blind faith and a cold north sea breeze.

Pretty stark choice for the lad (

Wouldnt mind seeing him here tho )

The fact he's going back to speak to Liverpool for the second time in a few days speaks volumes for me. This is a dead duck I'm afraid.

22246[/snapback]

Agreed...

As soon as I heard on the radio this morning that he was off back to Liverpool for more talks, my heart sank....

I'm still clinging onto the hope that we can pull this one off because if we can't, we are seriously in the smelly stuff!

I hope to god Fat Fred has not put all his eggs in one basket for the second year running only to drop the fucker down his gold slacks!!

If he has, I fear the ramifications in terms of fans reaction, but you can't help but understand why!

Edited by Craig

If you were a player, who would you pick.......european champions or relegation candidates newcastle??

A player of his quality would expect to be in the champions league every year.  We can only offer him blind faith and a cold north sea breeze.

22251[/snapback]

Agree. At least he had the courtesy to hear what we have to say, but he was always going to Liverpool. We can't blame the lad either, this is exactly like the Shearer situation. He's obviously patched up his differences with Benitez and wants to go home. At least we tried, nowt more we could do. The problem is, we need another striker and we're now not going to get one till January.

A player of his quality would expect to be in the champions league every year.  We can only offer him blind faith and a cold north sea breeze.

22251[/snapback]

Agree. At least he had the courtesy to hear what we have to say, but he was always going to Liverpool. We can't blame the lad either, this is exactly like the Shearer situation. He's obviously patched up his differences with Benitez and wants to go home. At least we tried, nowt more we could do. The problem is, we need another striker and we're now not going to get one till January.

22255[/snapback]

We need GOALS.... and we're now not going to get one until January.

22251[/snapback]

22255[/snapback]

We need GOALS.... and we're now not going to get one until January.

22260[/snapback]

Is there an echo in here? :D

He's obviously patched up his differences with Benitez and wants to go home. At least we tried, nowt more we could do. The problem is, we need another striker and we're now not going to get one till January.

22255[/snapback]

That was something that I always thought would be a big factor.

No way in hell would Benitez be stupid enough to reject the local hero if he wants to come home.

Regardless of how they finished last season, if he knocked back Owen's return and pool don't win something this season all supporter will remember is his refusal to resign Owen and Benitez ain't that dumb.

He's obviously patched up his differences with Benitez and wants to go home. At least we tried, nowt more we could do. The problem is, we need another striker and we're now not going to get one till January.

22255[/snapback]

No way in hell would Benitez be stupid enough to reject the local hero if he wants to come home.

Regardless of how they finished last season, if he knocked back Owen's return and pool don't win something this season all supporter will remember is his refusal to resign Owen and Benitez ain't that dumb.

22265[/snapback]

But this is the same Benitez that sold local hero Owen and went on to win the Champions League, he has nothing to prove when it comes to Owen.

22255[/snapback]

22265[/snapback]

But this is the same Benitez that sold local hero Owen and went on to win the Champions League, he has nothing to prove when it comes to Owen.

22272[/snapback]

Pud I disagree, Owen asked to leave and as someone else said Owen looks a bit silly because he left "to win something."

This season will be a lot harder for Benitez because now he is expected to win something by the supporters, last year that expectation wasn't there.

There's a thread on the RAWK site about how NUFC have reportedly agreed on a 5m fee with L'pool for Riise.

Prolly utter bollocks, but if it turns out to be true, we'd have given them the extra needed to up their offer for Owen. For Riise, not Cisse.

God we're a beaten lot.

22265[/snapback]

Rafa's in a bit of a no-win situation though regards this to be honest with yer.

IF he doesn't sign Owen,and we struggle to score goals, yes there will be the usuall bullshit by the Liverpool Internet Brigade of 'fans' going on with themselves blaming him for not bringing Owen home.

BUT if he does sign him, but has to sell Cisse to get the dosh, these very same fans will be whinging cos he's been so ruthless and sold their favourite Cisse.

So he can't win either way :D

But as Rafa Benitez himself said 'I'm not here to be popular, I'm here to win trophies' and he's not had a bad start regards that, with the European Cup and Super Cup.

Sorry jonnyhall but after reading your post regarding sacking Souness I think you have too much blind faith in the powers that be within NUFC.

If Owen wants a release clause he knows it will have to be a lot less than what we are allegedly paying for him.

Whatever way you look at it we are being screwed out of large wedge and there are no guarantees!

22236[/snapback]

of course i dont. i know they are just as wacked up as everyone says. my views on souness are different to the board. they should just leave straight away. they cant bring us long term success which is the same as souness. neither shepherd or souness will takes us to where we want to be.

and to be honest you shouldnt base everything i ever say again on this forum on that souness article. i wrote that article as a test article because i am looking to write for newcastle-online. they arent my only views and they certanly arent my strongest views. it is just an example to see what it is like to write about NUFC

Edited by jonnyhall

Why would Owen want to come to a team that looks very much like relegation fodder!

Even with him we are woefully short of players, I am so embarrassed at how small our squad is now, thanks Graeme!

Forget Owen, that £17m should have bee used to buy 2/3 players! Instead this pipe dream will end up with us getting none!

Why would Owen want to come to a team that looks very much like relegation fodder!

Even with him we are woefully short of players, I am so embarrassed at how small our squad is now, thanks Graeme!

Forget Owen, that £17m should have bee used to buy 2/3 players!  Instead this pipe dream will end up with us getting none!

22310[/snapback]

How long before the transfer window closes now? 38 hours, or something like that? This smilie best represents our club at the moment:

:D

does this look like a face looking forward to playing with michael owen next season?!!  :D  :D

0102782732226003gb.jpg

22293[/snapback]

he does have a cheaky grin on his face there..... but he's probably thinking Terry Mac your first out the door when i'm in charge

:(<_<B)