Tooj

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our best manager of the last 50 years

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

Robson would have won the league with Keegan's resources at his disposal tbh.

His transfer dealings at Newcastle suggest otherwise tbh.

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

Keegan may have got better out of the players who Robson was too soft with tbh.

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

His transfer dealings at Newcastle suggest otherwise tbh.

would have walked the title with eleven carl corts tbh

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

In fairness to Keegan's transfer dealings though, Sima, I don't recall him always having massive resources.

I might be wrong, Newcastle isn't my club so you will know more than me.....but my recollection is that Keegan had to 'earn' his bigger resources by dint of improving the clubs finances. I don't recall him having massive resources to get out of the first division and I thought be bought shrewdly to do that. Likewise I don't recall him having vast resources when he first started in the prem. Of course once he'd established a side challenging for the title he had access to much bigger resources to sign the Shearer's etc.

Might just be my memory playing tricks though :unsure:

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

In fairness to Keegan's transfer dealings though, Sima, I don't recall him always having massive resources.

I might be wrong, Newcastle isn't my club so you will know more than me.....but my recollection is that Keegan had to 'earn' his bigger resources by dint of improving the clubs finances. I don't recall him having massive resources to get out of the first division and I thought be bought shrewdly to do that. Likewise I don't recall him having vast resources when he first started in the prem. Of course once he'd established a side challenging for the title he had access to much bigger resources to sign the Shearer's etc.

Nah, he had a shitload to spend to take us up. Didn't have much to start with when he took over (Kilcline, Sheedy, McDonough <_< ) but once we'd survived relegation he basically had an open chequebook (Venison, Bracewell, Beresford, Lee)

Just before the transfer deadline he spent £3m more on Cole, Robinson and Sellars

There was always money there for him, with inflation in transfer fees etc, you could calculate that he had twice as much (maybe even more) to spend than Robson.

Happy Birthday

Apart from Keegan.

Nah, he had a shitload to spend to take us up. Didn't have much to start with when he took over (Kilcline, Sheedy, McDonough <_< ) but once we'd survived relegation he basically had an open chequebook (Venison, Bracewell, Beresford, Lee)

Just before the transfer deadline he spent £3m more on Cole, Robinson and Sellars

There was always money there for him, with inflation in transfer fees etc, you could calculate that he had twice as much (maybe even more) to spend than Robson.

Look at those players in the value for money stakes. Absolute bargains in the main. Look at the football they played. I know football's a game of opinions but howay man.

KK was probably the first manager, in this country anyway, to have an open chequebook tbf. Nowt against Robson however, I'm still gutted at the way he was treated - by players and the board alike (worst of all to the detriment of the club). But he had plenty money too and didn't spend it that wisely overall imo. There's no way you could say one way or the other whether Robson would have won the league if things had been differnt but, all-in-all, I reckon KK was the better Toon manager. Both true legends though.

KK was probably the first manager, in this country anyway, to have an open chequebook tbf. Nowt against Robson however, I'm still gutted at the way he was treated - by players and the board alike (worst of all to the detriment of the club). But he had plenty money too and didn't spend it that wisely overall imo. There's no way you could say one way or the other whether Robson would have won the league if things had been differnt but, all-in-all, I reckon KK was the better Toon manager. Both true legends though.

Dalglish at Blackburn tbh

:unsure: The one bit of the post you thought you could pull me up on. Nice one.

Edited by alex

Good point.

Be interesting to know how much money Keegan spent overall, how much money he made from sales, how his spending related to our turnover, etc.

haha, here we go again.

haha, here we go again.

Eh? Anyway, I disagreed with your intial premise and as for Robson winning the league if he had KK's resources - I doubt it. Robson's signings, were on the whole, canny shit. So I'm struggling to see how he'd have won the league with more money. The more money he spent (with one or two exceptions) the worse his signings got.

Edited by alex

haha, here we go again.

Eh? Anyway, I disagreed with your intial premise and as for Robson winning the league if he had KK's resources - I doubt it. Robson's signings, were on the whole, canny shit. So I'm struggling to see how he'd have won the league with more money. The more money he spent (with one or two exceptions) the worse his signings got.

what you saying? viana was bargain of the century

Robson brought more to the club than good football, he brought a bit of class to the proceedings. Even his verbal tics were endearing.

Ditto Keegan.

Am not getting drawn into the better manager debate but Robson was 'classier' than Keegan imo.

In terms of standing in the game as a manager and handling himself in the media :unsure:

Robson brought more to the club than good football, he brought a bit of class to the proceedings. Even his verbal tics were endearing.

Ditto Keegan.

Am not getting drawn into the better manager debate but Robson was 'classier' than Keegan imo.

In terms of standing in the game as a manager and handling himself in the media :unsure:

Oh, go on.

Ditto Keegan.

I met Keegan once at his prime (as manager). He was inspirational. Never met Robson but he strikes me as being like a friendly Grandad.

In a way though they are both highly lovable losers ultimately. Robson never quite achieved football's greatest prizes either as a player or manager. Keegan suceeded as a player but was pipped at the post as a manager which seemed to destroy him. It's a shame for both of them.