Sir Bobby Robson

Tooj

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robson brought more to the club than good football, he brought a bit of class to the proceedings. Even his verbal tics were endearing.

Ditto Keegan.

Am not getting drawn into the better manager debate but Robson was 'classier' than Keegan imo.

In terms of standing in the game as a manager and handling himself in the media :unsure:

I met Keegan once at his prime (as manager). He was inspirational. Never met Robson but he strikes me as being like a friendly Grandad.

In a way though they are both highly lovable losers ultimately. Robson never quite achieved football's greatest prizes either as a player or manager. Keegan suceeded as a player but was pipped at the post as a manager which seemed to destroy him. It's a shame for both of them.

Where is J69 when you need him...

Robson brought more to the club than good football, he brought a bit of class to the proceedings. Even his verbal tics were endearing.

Ditto Keegan.

Am not getting drawn into the better manager debate but Robson was 'classier' than Keegan imo.

In terms of standing in the game as a manager and handling himself in the media :unsure:

Oh, go on.

The question for me is what would Bobby have done if he had been given the club in the early 90s? In the same position, i dont think Bobby would have taken the club to the same heights in the same period.

Ditto Keegan.

Oh, go on.

The question for me is what would Bobby have done if he had been given the club in the early 90s? In the same position, i dont think Bobby would have taken the club to the same heights in the same period.

Neither do I. It's a moot point though as I'd argue he'd never have come here then anyway.

Ditto Keegan.

Oh, go on.

Neither do I. It's a moot point though as I'd argue he'd never have come here then anyway.

No, he wouldnt have. Anyway in terms of character profile to fit the job, KK was the man at the time. When you give someone a job, its because they have the right skills, what can set them apart from others is temperament and character.

Over their whole careers then of course Bobby will rightly be hailed as the better manager, his trophy record around europe sees to that.

But quite simply would any Newcastle fan rather re-live the Robson years over the Keegan years, i can't believe anyone would as the Keegan years were the happiest i have ever seen NUFC fans, people were counting the days till the match came round and loved almost every minute of his time here.

As neither won a trophy here sadly, then what else is their to guage who was best here other than which of the two times you'd prefer to go back to/see happen again.

Theres little point in arguing what eaither would have done with the others resources or arriving at the time the other did because they didn't and we'll never know either way what they might have done.

I think we'd all have been happy and the club so much better off had Bobby come straight after Keegan instead of Dalglish and then Gullit but sadly that didn't happen!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Over their whole careers then of course Bobby will rightly be hailed as the better manager, his trophy record around europe sees to that.

But quite simply would any Newcastle fan rather re-live the Robson years over the Keegan years, i can't believe anyone would as the Keegan years were the happiest i have ever seen NUFC fans, people were counting the days till the match came round and loved almost every minute of his time here.

As neither won a trophy here sadly, then what else is their to guage who was best here other than which of the two times you'd prefer to go back to/see happen again.

Theres little point in arguing what eaither would have done with the others resources or arriving at the time the other did because they didn't and we'll never know either way what they might have done.

I think we'd all have been happy and the club so much better off had Bobby come straight after Keegan instead of Dalglish and then Gullit but sadly that didn't happen!

Put it another way ... given the choice, would you rather that Keegan had not left or that Robson had not been sacked?

:unsure:

Put it another way ... given the choice, would you rather that Keegan had not left or that Robson had not been sacked?

robson should never have been sacked

He should have made way for a planned replacement. Sadly that never happened.

i wonder where we would be today if that whole thing had been handled differently. ie robson not being sacked 4 games into a new season and instead being allowed to see out his contract then retire graciously before moving upstairs to make way for a new, younger manager.

we could have spent robson's final season sounding out his successor instead of finding ourselves having to recruit souness and then roeder.

i wonder where we would be today if that whole thing had been handled differently. ie robson not being sacked 4 games into a new season and instead being allowed to see out his contract then retire graciously before moving upstairs to make way for a new, younger manager.

we could have spent robson's final season sounding out his successor instead of finding ourselves having to recruit souness and then roeder.

We'd have unquestionably been better off. But the best option was always to move Bobby on at the end of the season previous (like Liverpool did with Houllier) and use the time to bring in a top class coach from who was available, giving them the time and resources to set their team up and get some time with them to start the season following.

But of course Fat Fred prefers to keep Bobby on toolong, then having done that dumps him in the shit by telling everyone he has 1 year left, then sacks him 4 games in and then makes the single biggest fuck up any chairman has managed and employs Souness...and the rest is history!

I think we'd have won the Uefa Cup.

We'd have unquestionably been better off. But the best option was always to move Bobby on at the end of the season previous (like Liverpool did with Houllier) and use the time to bring in a top class coach from who was available, giving them the time and resources to set their team up and get some time with them to start the season following.

But of course Fat Fred prefers to keep Bobby on toolong, then having done that dumps him in the shit by telling everyone he has 1 year left, then sacks him 4 games in and then makes the single biggest fuck up any chairman has managed and employs Souness...and the rest is history!

i would have let him see out his contract meself. would have been tough on the auld boy to sack him after finishing 5th.

i would have let him see out his contract meself. would have been tough on the auld boy to sack him after finishing 5th.

I agree it would have been very tough/harsh, but the sort of decision the top 4 clubs would make without batting an eyelid. Liverpool moved Houllier on when it was his time to go even after the trophies he'd won them.

KEEGAN.........Played 251.......Won 138.......Lost 62.......Drew 52.

ROBSON.........Played 255.......Won 119.......Lost 72.......Drew 64.

Keegan had the better record but it doen't alter the fact that Bobby's sacking was totally disgraceful and shouldn't have happened.

Keegan had the better record but it doen't alter the fact that Bobby's sacking was totally disgraceful and shouldn't have happened.

what amazed me is all those years Bobby Robson was at Ipswich, yet never professed any desire or inclination to come home and manage Newcastle, despite us changing our manager lots of times. Do you have any theories about this ?

what amazed me is all those years Bobby Robson was at Ipswich, yet never professed any desire or inclination to come home and manage Newcastle, despite us changing our manager lots of times. Do you have any theories about this ?

No reply from Tony Blair. He must be away to look it up or work it out

You give him an hour to reply, (to a question not related to the thread's current discussion) and then bait him for not replying? This is getting beyond ridiculous. People stop replying to you because the arguments never go anywhere.

You give him an hour to reply, (to a question not related to the thread's current discussion) and then bait him for not replying? This is getting beyond ridiculous. People stop replying to you because the arguments never go anywhere.

eeerrrr.......he was online when I posted that mate

Point is, I'm up for a debate, I don't mind at all. If anyone can show how the old board that ran the club during the 60's were a good board, that showed ambition etc, or the current one haven't improved the club massively since they took over, I'm quite prepared to admit I'm wrong.

Edited by LeazesMag

Perhaps the timing was wrong for him?

Perhaps he wanted to honour his contract?

Perhaps we never offered him the job anyway?

Who cares tbh?

Who cares tbh?

Quite amazing how Newcastle United, who have always been a top club, always had ambition, always kept their best players etc took so long to offer a top manager such as Bobby Robson the managers job, and for him to see the job as suitable for him as a manager with his talents. Of course, all the current boards predecessors during the 3 previous decades never considered him at all, even though they could offer him one of the countries top jobs and best run clubs, and the current board had him simply fall into their laps as a lucky break.

Who cares tbh?

Quite amazing how Newcastle United, who have always been a top club, always had ambition, always kept their best players etc took so long to offer a top manager such as Bobby Robson the managers job, and for him to see the job as suitable for him as a manager with his talents. Of course, all the current boards predecessors during the 3 previous decades never considered him at all, even though they could offer him one of the countries top jobs and best run clubs, and the current board had him simply fall into their laps as a lucky break.

I fail to see your point? The current board deserve praise for being able to attract him, at the end of his career? Is that it?

Yep, well done to them. They did better than the board before them.

My computer is better than the first computer I owned, but it still needs replacing.

Who cares tbh?

I fail to see your point? The current board deserve praise for being able to attract him, at the end of his career? Is that it?

Yep, well done to them. They did better than the board before them.

My computer is better than the first computer I owned, but it still needs replacing.

I didn't think you would understand the point. I understand you don't believe a small club such as Ipswich could be more attractive than his home town club Newcastle United. As Newcastle United have always been a bigger and better club than small Ipswich town, and always have been, and Bobby Robson was too dumb to see that when he was manager of Ipswich, that his hometown club was a more attractive proposition and always has been......and of course our wonderful directors who sold our best players for decades thought Bobby Robson wasn't good enough for us and so didn't bother themselves trying to attract him to his hometown club :mellow: But having told you this constantly, you really aren't going to get it by now.

As for the last bit, that is like saying your new car is better than your old car, WTF are you on, its nowt to do with being a football chairman :blink:;)

EDIT: Thought for you. Would you change your computer for a worse one ?

I'm off down the pub ......... :razz:

Edited by LeazesMag