**MICHAEL OWEN SIGNS FOR NEWCASTLE!**

Tom_NUFC

GRAEME Souness says the signing of Michael Owen will be the biggest transfer he's ever been involved in during his long managerial career.

The England striker has agreed a four-year move to St. James' Park and was due to undergo a medical on Tuesday afternoon.

Owen, who would wear the vacant number 10 shirt, is poised to join the Magpies after chairman Freddy Shepherd tabled a club record offer to Real Madrid for the 25-year-old.

And speaking from United's training camp in Malaga, Spain, manager Souness told nufc.co.uk: "It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael.

"He's the current England number nine and this club has had a history of wonderful centre-forwards over the years.

"He's someone who can become a legend with Newcastle United fans. In football, the hardest thing to get in your team is someone who puts the ball in the back of the net and Michael is the best at doing that for England.

"I can understand people who liken it to the signing of Alan Shearer as Michael is the current England number nine.

"I'd say it's the biggest transfer I've been involved in as a manager of any football club."

Despite a slow start to the season, the manager has saluted the backing he received from his chairman to clinch the signings of Scott Parker, Emre and Albert Luque - and now hopefully Owen.

He added: "I feel this summer we've signed some top class footballers for Newcastle United to add to some great players we already have at this club.

"If we can keep them all fit and on the pitch then we can be a match for anybody."

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRAEME Souness says the signing of Michael Owen will be the biggest transfer he's ever been involved in during his long managerial career.

The England striker has agreed a four-year move to St. James' Park and was due to undergo a medical on Tuesday afternoon.

Owen, who would wear the vacant number 10 shirt, is poised to join the Magpies after chairman Freddy Shepherd tabled a club record offer to Real Madrid for the 25-year-old.

And speaking from United's training camp in Malaga, Spain, manager Souness told nufc.co.uk: "It will be a great achievement if we sign Michael.

"He's the current England number nine and this club has had a history of wonderful centre-forwards over the years.

"He's someone who can become a legend with Newcastle United fans. In football, the hardest thing to get in your team is someone who puts the ball in the back of the net and Michael is the best at doing that for England.

"I can understand people who liken it to the signing of Alan Shearer as Michael is the current England number nine.

"I'd say it's the biggest transfer I've been involved in as a manager of any football club."

Despite a slow start to the season, the manager has saluted the backing he received from his chairman to clinch the signings of Scott Parker, Emre and Albert Luque - and now hopefully Owen.

He added: "I feel this summer we've signed some top class footballers for Newcastle United to add to some great players we already have at this club.

"If we can keep them all fit and on the pitch then we can be a match for anybody."

22868[/snapback]

What's with all this "hopefully" business?

In the BBC audio report on their website it there's a quote from the Fat Controller: "....ranks alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment"

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't John Hall chairman then?

These were the only numbers I could find quickly for the Prem and were posted by someone else on another forum last November, but they won't be too far wrong. Esp. not Shearers (:stars:)

All time top scorers:

1 Shearer 247

2 Cole 168

3 Ferdinand 150

4 Fowler145

5 Sheringham 139

6 Henry 122

7 Yorke 122

8 Owen 118

9 Wright 113

10 Dublin 111

Another top ten player for us! Aim for top five Michael!

It was requested and for the duration of today, I didn't see it doing any harm...

I'll let it drop off tomorrow.

22921[/snapback]

Can you merge all the other Owen threads into this one please? :stars:

It was requested and for the duration of today, I didn't see it doing any harm...

I'll let it drop off tomorrow.

22921[/snapback]

Can you merge all the other Owen threads into this one please? :stars:

22922[/snapback]

Or move it to the general Owen forum?

22868[/snapback]

Excuses ready Graeme?

I see Wullie is sticking with his miserable bastid stance over the signing.

Jesus Wept!

22928[/snapback]

Really? How surprising. :stars:

22931[/snapback]

He's after my most pessmistic poster award.

Jesus Wept!

22928[/snapback]

Really? How surprising. :suicide:

22931[/snapback]

He's after my most pessmistic poster award.

22936[/snapback]

In all honesty, I think you've been usurped :stars:

You know in private he's dancing round his room before composing himself, sitting down, and typing how 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'?  :stars:

22938[/snapback]

Do you reckon he puts on a Darth Vader mask before he starts typing?

Jesus Wept!

22928[/snapback]

22931[/snapback]

Well, I'm pleased but we do need further strengthening. Owen isnt enough.

And someone said that the bloated price is probably down to Newcastle cutting a deal on the Woodgate money.

Jesus Wept!

22928[/snapback]

Really? How surprising. :suicide:

22931[/snapback]

Nothing will please that lad, I swear.

22932[/snapback]

He's right though isn't he. Owens a bum steer.

/well not really, but I just had to use the term bum steer.

//Bum steer, bum stter, bum steer. :stars:

Jesus Wept!

22928[/snapback]

22931[/snapback]

Well, I'm pleased but we do need further strengthening. Owen isnt enough.

And someone said that the bloated price is probably down to Newcastle cutting a deal on the Woodgate money.

22946[/snapback]

Of course we need further stengthening.

However while you try to find negatives, just think if he didn't sign, no striker signed, and then come back to me and say you are not happy that Owen is coming to Newcastle.

From .com

It looks well, doesn't it?

Internationals:

Callups 

Jean-Alain Boumsong (France) 

03.09.05 Faroe Islands (Lens)

07.09.05 Republic of Ireland (a) (Dublin)

Hugo Viana (Portugal U21)

02.09.05 Luxembourg (h) (Portimao)

06.09.05 Russia (a) (Moscow)

James Milner & Steven Taylor 

(England U21)

02.09.05 Wales (a) (Wrexham)

06.09.05 Germany (a) (Mainz)

Albert Luque

(Spain) 

03.09.05 Canada (Santander)

07.09.05 Serbia & Montenegro (Madrid)

Jermaine Jenas & Michael Owen

(England)

03.09.05 Wales (a) (Cardiff)

07.09.05 Northern Ireland (a) (Belfast)

Shay Given & Stephen Carr

(Ireland)

07.09.05 France (h) (Dublin)

Amdy Faye

(Senegal)

03.09.05 Zambia (a) (Chililabombwe)

Emre (Turkey) and Moore (Australia) have withdrawn due to injury.