Roeder stepping up chase for Bale

Scottish Mag

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder will step up his interest in Southampton defender Gareth Bale by watching the in-demand 17-year-old in action at Coventry.

He will join chief scout David Mills at Highfield Road on Tuesday.

Roeder said: "I don't normally talk about specific targets, but if I am spotted at Coventry, it will be obvious who I am watching."

And he added: "As far as our scouting is concerned, we are now in overdrive for next season."

Spurs and Manchester United lead the race for the £7m-rated Wales international Bale, who is likely to leave Southampton at the end of the season.

Bale is understood to prefer a move to Old Trafford.

Roeder said: "We only have the rest of February, March, April and a bit of May to make sure the players we targeted in January, but were unable to get, are still playing well.

"We will be checking on these players and other targets, so that if for any reason we do not get the players who are our first choice, we are in a position to act straight away."

Roeder is also keeping tabs on Derby midfielder Giles Barnes and West Brom defender Curtis Davies - watching the latter in action at the weekend.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairly ambitious looking at Bale, unless ManYoo pull out, or Roeder knows something that we dont.

The £7m price tag seems a bit cheap considering there was confirmation of £10m ish bid from Spurs in January.

Also, I no longer want Curtis Davies at the club after the ridiculous decision he made last week of shaving off his 'fro.

I don't have much confidence in our ability to get Gareth Bale... I didn't really understand Fergie going for him though, what with Evra, O'Shea and Heinze all perfectly capable of playing there.

As for Curtis Davis, he looks raw to say the least. Reckon a move to the toon back 4 would be a career disaster for him!

I think it's not too bad to make our interest openly known. There is hardly any chance to scout him in secret anyway. So jumping the queue is probably a good idea and forcing as well Bale as other interested clubs into a decision.

He said he was scouting for the January transfer window as soon as the Summer window shut.

Heard it all before from him tbh.

I don't get to hear a fraction of what you lot do from Rodders, but I just wish he would shut the fuck up sometimes.

Both he and Portly Freddie should give up talking to the media for Lent {imo}

Unless we have a large transfer fund for the summer we are wasting our time. Also for the price he is going to cost I would rather go for someone with a bit experience and some experence at the top level. We need someone who will perform straight away, not in a couple of seasons! Look at Walcott.

Reckon we could tempt Wigan to get Baines for a similar fee that will be demanded for Bale.

do you really wish he didn't let people know that we were interested in young talent????

I would much rather hear that we were at least in the market for problem positions than not. Seems that Newcastle cannot do anything right by you guys, i am feeling pretty optimistic these days.

You moan that we did not buy anyone in January but a couple of years ago you moaned when we bought an eight million pound defender. Roeders transfer record is exceptional and he is blooding youngsters - i know you will mention Duff but he will find form hes a quality player and we will always make a profit on the 5 mill spent regardless ofhow he does. Our best players are coming back from injury were moving up the table we are interested in young quality british players - - - - - whats everyones issue?

Unless we have a large transfer fund for the summer we are wasting our time. Also for the price he is going to cost I would rather go for someone with a bit experience and some experence at the top level. We need someone who will perform straight away, not in a couple of seasons! Look at Walcott.

Reckon we could tempt Wigan to get Baines for a similar fee that will be demanded for Bale.

I don't rate Leighton Baines at all, can't understand what all of the hype is tbh