New job- tough choice.

Pegasus Bridge

Got two job offers in the last two weeks. I'm currently working, but hating my current job.

The first offer- A job doing pretty much what I'm doing now, but a 5 grand pay rise on top of what I've got.

Second offer- Same money I'm on now, but its a job i've always wanted to do.

What do I do? Hearts telling me no2, but my wallets telling me no1... :mellow:

Got two job offers in the last two weeks. I'm currently working, but hating my current job.

The first offer- A job doing pretty much what I'm doing now, but a 5 grand pay rise on top of what I've got.

Second offer- Same money I'm on now, but its a job i've always wanted to do.

What do I do? Hearts telling me no2, but my wallets telling me no1... :mellow:

Quite high to be honest. It's not the best job for most people, but one of the most perfect jobs for myself. I've waited only 6 months for a vacancy to come about, but 6 months in a shit job can feel much longer.

What does the 5 grand pay rise take you up to?

What are the jobs?

hopefully neither involve him being able to use a quote function correctly... :mellow:

What are the jobs?

Debt recovery at the moment :mellow: An extra five grand would take up to 23k.

The other job is a postman :blink: Always wanted to be one, and its around 18k a year ;)

I think postman is a nicer job mate.

What are the jobs?

Debt recovery at the moment :blink: An extra five grand would take up to 23k.

The other job is a postman :D Always wanted to be one, and its around 18k a year <_<

Give it a go. Nothing eats at you like regrets in later life :razz: . (assuming you are currently surviving on 18k you rich bastard ;):mellow: )

This one's easy. Take the postie's job.

If, after six months or a year, you feel it's not what you want you can always go back to debt recovery.

The opportunity to do something you have always wanted to do may not come around on a regular basis.

Money aint everything.

Rocker, talk to Scottish Mag. He used to be a postie for a good while. See what he reckons to it before you make any decisions. Mind, I imagine debt recovery is fairly miserable, so I would be looking to get out of that regardless of your decision here.

Rocker, talk to Scottish Mag. He used to be a postie for a good while. See what he reckons to it before you make any decisions. Mind, I imagine debt recovery is fairly miserable, so I would be looking to get out of that regardless of your decision here.

Take the job you would love. 5K a year, you would not even notice it in your take home after a while :mellow:

Depending what you are looking for in a job, being a Postie can be a great job. Was meant to be a stop gap for me that ended up something I done for about 6 years, however by the time I decided to leave I was completely bored by it, doing the exact same thing day in, day out. Sometimes it feels like Groundhog Day.

If you can handle the early starts then its great having an early finish each day, however shifts are getting later and later and from what I hear they want to change starting/finishing times again, however the Unions are fighting against this as the workers will then lose out on money as they will no longer be eligible for their "early morning allowance".

Weather wise you have to expect being out for hours on end in the pissing rain sometimes however to counter that in the summer you can just stroll around doing the job without a care in the world. Up here unfortunately we seen the rain more often than not. Rain now and again you can handle however when you go through spells where its not stopped for two whole weeks it can become soul destroying, though as I say that can be down to location as I am sure Toonraiders son doesn't have anywhere near the weather we do being darn south.

Area was another part of the job that was important to me. I was fortunate living in a small town that I managed to make first name terms with many of the people on my run etc and at times worked in the smaller villages round where we stay, proper Postman Pat stuff! However I wouldn't have liked to have worked in Glasgow or certain areas what with shitty housing estates and charvs etc "looking for their Giro man"...

I assume by the salary you stated you are starting full time? Up here you cannot get a full time position for love nor money and their has been a block on part-timers being made up to full time when a position becomes available. I know people who have been stuck on 25 hours for 10 years, took me a few years to get a full time position, so its good going for you to wlak straight into a FT position.

Got respect for postman and the job they do, but it really gets on my tits how the delivery doesn't come til about 1pm round here. What happened to first thing in the morning?

They killed that when they merged 1st and second class. This way they get to say you have guaranteed next day delivery of all mail. Doesn't seem matter that a lot of people aren't in until 5 to collect it.

hate to sound negative, and i know pretty much all postie's do a good job, but, surely there are better jobs?

also most posties i know finish at 1.30 pm and are pissed by 4pm...

up to you of course.

Well I don't drink. And I don't think any jobs better than another job really. It's whats going to make you happy at the end of the day. As long as I've got a steady income coming in to support me and my lass who is in her third year of uni, than thats fine. I'm currently unhappy in the line of work I'm in, and I've always wanted to be a postie. Like a grown up version of a paperboy I guess. I like working outdoors, It will be good exercise, and the moneys not bad at all.