Manchester United vs Lille

Magma

Lol the other team are complaining because of the goal by Giggs, and all of the other team are walking off the pitch, they are back on the pitch and continuing with the game

Edited by Magma

What a game that was.

Had everything!

The match itself wasn't spectactular but evertything else was gripping stuff.

Interesting to see what UEFA do to Lille in terms of punishment.

Should be thrown out of the competition in my opinion.

Am I the only one who reckons the steward in this pic from bbc.co.uk's report looks like the guy from Phoenix Nights who had the tiger face paint perminately sprayed on?

42595085crowdafp416em7.jpg

Can't say that was my first thought on seeing that particular picture like.

Am I the only one who reckons the steward in this pic from bbc.co.uk's report looks like the guy from Phoenix Nights who had the tiger face paint perminately sprayed on?

Cant safely say it looks nothing like Young Kenny like.

Cant safely say it looks nothing like Young Kenny like.

Look up Justin Moorhouse on images but I agree nowt like him

what a strange game

ITV said, there were too many fans in one area, people been crushed so the french police respond by tear gas'ing them

everything after the Giggs goal was comical, proper playground stuff

i think Lile will get some fine off UEFA can't see them been thrown out and lets be honest Man Utd are chance to put 3 or 4 past them at Old Trafford

Was the goal within the rules? The french players claimed that it was against the rules in the press.

I said to a few irate fans last night that i'd seen Thierry Henry do it plenty of times. Seemed to defuse their tempers a bit.

Afterwards on Irish TV they said it was within the rules but my understanding was that if you wanted to take it quickly you said so to the referee and then took the kick immediately, otherwise you waited for the whistle. Last night the kick wasn't taken immediately so I can see why Lille are so pissed off.

Was the goal within the rules? The french players claimed that it was against the rules in the press.

I said to a few irate fans last night that i'd seen Thierry Henry do it plenty of times. Seemed to defuse their tempers a bit.

What you should have been saying was "Hawheehawheehaw! Ze mighty English spit on Ze French pigdogs!"

See if that defused their tempers. :mellow:

I can't defend Lille coaches for encouraging the players to walk off but I think it was an ungentlemanly goal.

I know Henry has done it plenty of times but if you watch the footage it's the Lille players who pass the ball back to Giggs to alow him to take it quickily - bastards, I'd be spitting chips if it had been scored against us like.

Goes to show you have to be a cynical twat and put a man standing over the ball to prevent the kick being taken quick, but then you risk the fuckers kicking it off you as bergkamp did with robert.

I think the actions of the fans and police were fucking awful like. The players were not keen on going off and it was that coach who encouraged it. It was nice to see that the pundits on itv didn't blame the fans straight away, it's not that long ago that hassle like that would be pinned on the fans straight away without question.

All I could find regarding free kicks. Nowt about waiting for the whistle

http://www.fifa.com/en/laws/Laws13_01.htm

FIFA Law 13 - Free kicks

Signal

The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising his arm above his head. He maintains his arm in that position until the kick has been taken and the ball has touched another player or goes out of play.

Afterwards on Irish TV they said it was within the rules but my understanding was that if you wanted to take it quickly you said so to the referee and then took the kick immediately, otherwise you waited for the whistle. Last night the kick wasn't taken immediately so I can see why Lille are so pissed off.

That was my understanding too, you ask the referee if you can take it quickly and it was up to the opposition to be paying attention. I thought he then needed to signal or whistle though, which he didnt.

The ref nods and its taken straightaway.

I can't defend Lille coaches for encouraging the players to walk off but I think it was an ungentlemanly goal.

I know Henry has done it plenty of times but if you watch the footage it's the Lille players who pass the ball back to Giggs to alow him to take it quickily - bastards, I'd be spitting chips if it had been scored against us like.

Goes to show you have to be a cynical twat and put a man standing over the ball to prevent the kick being taken quick, but then you risk the fuckers kicking it off you as bergkamp did with robert.

I think the actions of the fans and police were fucking awful like. The players were not keen on going off and it was that coach who encouraged it. It was nice to see that the pundits on itv didn't blame the fans straight away, it's not that long ago that hassle like that would be pinned on the fans straight away without question.

Only have themselves to blame tbh. Next time you see a match, watch how many times there is an opposition player standing over the ball to prevent a quick FK, even one just walking past where the kick is due to be taken from. It happens more often than not.

That was my understanding too, you ask the referee if you can take it quickly and it was up to the opposition to be paying attention. I thought he then needed to signal or whistle though, which he didnt.

The ref nods and its taken straightaway.

Well, no arm in the air = illegal free kick

I can't believe so many people don't know the proper rules.

Of course that goal was legal. In a situation like that the referee asks the taker if they want the wall walked back 10 yards, and therefore will have to wait for the whistle, or if they want to take the kick straight away and not have to wait for the whistle.

It's clear that Giggs said he wanted to take it quickly and so didn't have to wait for the whistle.

The Premier league teams have realised this and thats why you see 1 player standing in front of the ball while the keeper sets up the wall in case they try to take it quickly.

Lille only have themselves to blame for conceding that goal tbh.

Edited by Matty