Manchester United vs Lille

Magma

All I could find regarding free kicks. Nowt about waiting for the whistle

http://www.fifa.com/en/laws/Laws13_01.htm

FIFA Law 13 - Free kicks

Signal

The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising his arm above his head. He maintains his arm in that position until the kick has been taken and the ball has touched another player or goes out of play.

That's only about indirect free kicks. :mellow: The basic procedure about free kicks is the referee will ask the player whether he wants a quick one or whether he wants the wall put back (in which case he must wait for the whistle). If the referee had consented to the free kick being taken quickly, it's a legal goal.

Mind, I didn't see a lot wrong with Lille's goal either.

I can't see why Vidic would dive in that situation, knowing that if he doesn't head the ball then it would very likely end up as a goal.

Mind, I didn't see a lot wrong with Lille's goal either.

I can't see why Vidic would dive in that situation, knowing that if he doesn't head the ball then it would very likely end up as a goal.

Because he was beaten in the air perhaps? That's how it looked to me. I just thought he was outmuscled. If we'd not been given that goal I'd have been fuming. I thought Man Utd's goal was fair enough too.

Was the goal within the rules? The french players claimed that it was against the rules in the press.

I said to a few irate fans last night that i'd seen Thierry Henry do it plenty of times. Seemed to defuse their tempers a bit.

Afterwards on Irish TV they said it was within the rules but my understanding was that if you wanted to take it quickly you said so to the referee and then took the kick immediately, otherwise you waited for the whistle. Last night the kick wasn't taken immediately so I can see why Lille are so pissed off.

That was my understanding too, you ask the referee if you can take it quickly and it was up to the opposition to be paying attention. I thought he then needed to signal or whistle though, which he didnt.

The ref nods and its taken straightaway.

Well, no arm in the air = illegal free kick

Eh?? One arm in the air indicates an indirect free kick. The free kick last night was direct, therefore, no need to have an arm in the air.

Can we remember someone doing this to us at the Leazes end when Pav was in goal many moons ago? I can't recall who we were playing.

Oh, and the fencing in the pics earlier says everything to me. How many fences do we have in UK now???

Was the goal within the rules? The french players claimed that it was against the rules in the press.

I said to a few irate fans last night that i'd seen Thierry Henry do it plenty of times. Seemed to defuse their tempers a bit.

Exactly the point I made last night... you have to put up with them going on about how much of a genius Henry is for scoring those freekicks, then when a French club is victim it is a disgrace. The news this morning is just as pathetic, with your normal spin merchants playing up Lille and questioning ManUtd's fair play... I don't think the french understand that concept at all!

Typical French trying to go on strike when something doesn't go their way.

:mellow: hehe great quote

I thought it was enough of a shove to give the foul, he does put two hands on him before he heads the ball, just manu's luck that they get it when i think alot of the time that would not be given, even if it should be.

For the manu goal, only the ref and the players around the ball will know exactly what was said/asked and if permission to take it was given and if it was then they can't really complain.

But even if both decisions were wrong they have to be punished for the near walkout and they have to be hammered for the actions of their fans and the police. But with an English club being involved (and by invoved i mean doing fuck all wrong) i'm sure they'll let the police of scott free.

Typical French trying to go on strike when something doesn't go their way.

:lol: hehe great quote

Did you not see them protesting against 2007 last New Years Eve? :unsure: (2006 forever!!!)

If you forget to leave a tip in a French cafe SOP is to blockade the channel ports for a week. ;)

Edited by Fop

Am I the only one who reckons the steward in this pic from bbc.co.uk's report looks like the guy from Phoenix Nights who had the tiger face paint perminately sprayed on?

42595085crowdafp416em7.jpg

When the f*ck are UEFA going to ensure that fences like these are torn down pemanently? Is it going to take another f*ckin disaster?

I've just spoken for 1/2 hr on the phone with a mate who was there last night and it appears that (as usual with the small allocations) a lot of fans had bought tickets in the home section. The police refused to let them sit in the home section and moved them all into the Man United section. They either completely under-estimated how many fans had tickets in the home end or completely disregarded it :lol:

It does open a whole new debate though about standing! Most away fans stand at games I know but I think it's more prevalent with Man Utd supporters than others. I've said on here before that, apart from the atmosphere angle, it's a deliberate policy from the fans to ensure that those jibbing in are not highlighted by being without seats. From what I can gather, it was a 'hard' jib last night and not many made it so that wasn't the problem but it does make you think once again about the safety implications of standing in seated areas.

Looks like the necky French bastards are blaming it all on Manure and Manure's fans now! Calling for Manure to kicked out of the tournament, strange stance to take.

Doesn't surprise me, standard tactic to ensure UEFA will let them off.

Manchester United have reacted angrily after attempts by French officials to blame the club and their fans for the crowd problems at their Champions League match against Lille.

United believe a tragedy was only narrowly averted after supporters became crushed into a section of the Stade Felix-Bollaert in Lens.

Lille's director general Xavier Thuilot has pointed the finger at United, claiming their early distribution of tickets allowed high-quality fakes to be produced.

Meanwhile, the head of security at the stadium has accused United fans of sparking the problems by "violent behaviour".

Thuilot said: "We sent their quota of places to Manchester several weeks ago, as is the usual thing to do.

"But the English club, instead of distributing the tickets to their supporters on their arrival at the stadium, on their descent from the bus, sent them out a month ago.

"The result - some very good forgeries, which have allowed some supporters to enter the stand reserved for them. All the forged tickets on the night were Manchester United tickets."

Lens stadium security chief Damien Vanoise added: "There was not a problem of communication. From the moment we saw the supporters trying to pull on the railings, what interpretation we can make of that, as security guards? For me, it was violent behaviour.

"I can tell you that nobody was crushed in the wire fencing.

"There weren't too many people in that stand. The stand was not full."

So Man Utd sold out that section, stewards moved supporters with home tickets (that were on open sale on the day) into that section, according to Lille there was a problem with snides, supporters with genuine tickets were refused entry........but ze stand was not full! yeah right!

Looks like the necky French bastards are blaming it all on Manure and Manure's fans now! Calling for Manure to kicked out of the tournament, strange stance to take.

Doesn't surprise me, standard tactic to ensure UEFA will let them off.

Manchester United have reacted angrily after attempts by French officials to blame the club and their fans for the crowd problems at their Champions League match against Lille.

United believe a tragedy was only narrowly averted after supporters became crushed into a section of the Stade Felix-Bollaert in Lens.

Lille's director general Xavier Thuilot has pointed the finger at United, claiming their early distribution of tickets allowed high-quality fakes to be produced.

Meanwhile, the head of security at the stadium has accused United fans of sparking the problems by "violent behaviour".

Thuilot said: "We sent their quota of places to Manchester several weeks ago, as is the usual thing to do.

"But the English club, instead of distributing the tickets to their supporters on their arrival at the stadium, on their descent from the bus, sent them out a month ago.

"The result - some very good forgeries, which have allowed some supporters to enter the stand reserved for them. All the forged tickets on the night were Manchester United tickets."

Lens stadium security chief Damien Vanoise added: "There was not a problem of communication. From the moment we saw the supporters trying to pull on the railings, what interpretation we can make of that, as security guards? For me, it was violent behaviour.

"I can tell you that nobody was crushed in the wire fencing.

"There weren't too many people in that stand. The stand was not full."

So Man Utd sold out that section, stewards moved supporters with home tickets (that were on open sale on the day) into that section, according to Lille there was a problem with snides, supporters with genuine tickets were refused entry........but ze stand was not full! yeah right!

its the f**king french being french