Sparky earns Toon tryout

Scottish Mag

Latest from .com

Having impressed in their recent Senior Cup win over us, Whitley Bay striker Lee Kerr (in red, above) has been invited for a trial with United.

The Jarrow-born 19 year-old known as "Sparky" to the Hillheads faithful has netted 20 times for Bay so far this season.

Kerr made his senior Bay debut back in 2004, achieving the unique feat that year of netting in the FA Cup, FA Vase and FA Youth Cup.

A trial with Leeds at that time came to nothing, but his form this season has attracted interest from various clubs including ourselves, the mackems, smoggies, Hibs and Stockport.

Kerr has been training at the latter club this week and is due to link up with Newcastle on Monday for three days.

I drink with his Grandad. Canny lad, scores some cracking goals. Only criticism you could have is that he's a bit lightweight. By all accounts he was unlucky when he went down to Leeds, the place was in complete disarray at the time and they were sacking coaching staff left right and centre.

I drink with his Grandad. Canny lad, scores some cracking goals. Only criticism you could have is that he's a bit lightweight. By all accounts he was unlucky when he went down to Leeds, the place was in complete disarray at the time and they were sacking coaching staff left right and centre.

:)

Mags taking a longer look at Lee

Promising Whitley Bay striker Lee Kerr (pictured) has seen his current three-day trial with United extended to a full week.

The Jarrow-born 19 year-old known as "Sparky" to the Hillheads faithful will now return to the Northern League title-chasing side for Saturday's trip to Billingham Town.

Kerr's 20 goals so far this season has attracted interest from various clubs including ourselves, the mackems, smoggies, Hibs and Stockport.

:lol:

I've just noticed this..feck off dipshit! He get's in my lercal, canny bloke, likes his snakebite.

Having spent a week training with Newcastle, Whitley Bay striker Lee Kerr has been granted permission by his club to appear for our reserve side on Monday evening.

The Jarrow-born 19 year-old nicknamed "Sparky" is set to line up for our second string as they entertain Bolton Wanderers at Kingston Park (7pm).

Kerr is no stranger to the Falcons ground, having caught the eye of the Newcastle staff when appearing there for Bay in their 2-1 Senior Cup success against us in January.

A few carloads of us going down there from my lercal tonight to cheer him on. I have to be honest here, I've watched the kid a lot and although I think he's too good for the Northern League I just can't see him anywhere near the PL. Make a decent League 2 player like. Just my honest opinion like, but I still hope he has a blinder tonight.

Just back, he looked busy first half, had a couple of chances, but the entire side were pretty dire second half. Didn't disgrace himself anyway. Worth a second look I reckon.

By the way, Luque didn't come back out second half. :D

Luque's parking is as bad as his shooting (I'm assuming the Spanish Porsche was his)- parked with the wheels at 45 degrees across two bays. It was gone by FT.

After Saturday's showing I thought I couldn't see a worse game. Wrong.

Just back, he looked busy first half, had a couple of chances, but the entire side were pretty dire second half. Didn't disgrace himself anyway. Worth a second look I reckon.

So what your saying is that he's better than luque? :D

Luque's parking is as bad as his shooting (I'm assuming the Spanish Porsche was his)- parked with the wheels at 45 degrees across two bays. It was gone by FT.

After Saturday's showing I thought I couldn't see a worse game. Wrong.

Actually Matt, I saw you at the end of the game I think, pick the ball up and give it to the keeper. I could see you sneaking out...

Was an awful game like, fucking freezing as well. At least it cost nowt to get in.

Actually Matt, I saw you at the end of the game I think, pick the ball up and give it to the keeper. I could see you sneaking out...

Was an awful game like, fucking freezing as well. At least it cost nowt to get in.

Got to the gate bang on the whistle! Surprised the keeper caught the ball tbh, he's woeful. I've seen plenty better keepers in the Northern League.

Got to the gate bang on the whistle! Surprised the keeper caught the ball tbh, he's woeful. I've seen plenty better keepers in the Northern League.

Aye, he's a big lanky streak of piss who can't kick for shit. Now I understand why Pav was brought in.

Kerr returns after trials with ToonMar 10 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have decided against handing 19-year-old Whitley Bay star Lee Kerr a contract following a two-week trial with the club.

The Jarrow teenager impressed at United and had his trial extended twice following an initial three-day stint.

And Lee Clark also insisted on seeing Kerr play in United's 0-0 draw with Bolton last Monday.

However, after a fortnight's examination, Kerr is available again to rejoin Whitley for their Northern League title quest.

However, it isn't the end of the player's chances of stepping up to a higher level.

Watford and Norwich City had scouts assigned to today's game with Jarrow Roofing at Hillheads.

And there were representatives of eight clubs watching Kerr at Kingston Park on Monday night, including Darlington boss Dave Penney.

Hillheads boss Ian Chandler said: "I spoke to Sparky and it appears he hasn't been affected by this minor setback, and is looking forward to helping Whitley Bay in winning the Northern league.

"I also believe the experience of training with Newcastle will serve him well, and has added an extra element of confidence to Lee."