Belfast

Renton

Thinking of going a weekend break in a few weeks and have never been here, but the flights and hotels are cheap. Anybody been before, and is it worth the trip? One thing I would like to do is get to the Giant's causeway, how easy is this and is it feasible as a day trip (probably a Saturday). Oh, and will I get blown up?

Alex's and others opinions welcome. :lol:

You could do a day trip but I'd stay overnight if you want to go to the Giant's Causeway. I haven't got round to going up there yet but from what colleagues have told me, while it's worth seeing, it's a bit of a shame to just bomb up there and not visit the Antrim Glens too. This website is canny http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

As for Belfast itself, in a lot of ways it isn't unlike Newcastle but it also reminds me of Glasgow and Liverpool (although it's size and compact city centre is more akin to Newcastle than the other two). If you do come over it's worth booking a taxi to see the Shankhill/Falls murals - Value Cabs charge £20 an hour iirc. The Botanic Gardens are nice (just to the south of the city centre) too. Lisburn Road is good for trendy and quirky shops plus art galleries. The Crown pub is a must see too - it's a Victorian Pub on Great Victoria Street owned and maintanied by the National Trust - it even still has the original gas lamps. You won't get blown up btw :lol:

You could do a day trip but I'd stay overnight if you want to go to the Giant's Causeway. I haven't got round to going up there yet but from what colleagues have told me, while it's worth seeing, it's a bit of a shame to just bomb up there and not visit the Antrim Glens too. This website is canny http://www.causewaycoastandglens.com/

As for Belfast itself, in a lot of ways it isn't unlike Newcastle but it also reminds me of Glasgow and Liverpool (although it's size and compact city centre is more akin to Newcastle than the other two). If you do come over it's worth booking a taxi to see the Shankhill/Falls murals - Value Cabs charge £20 an hour iirc. The Botanic Gardens are nice (just to the south of the city centre) too. Lisburn Road is good for trendy and quirky shops plus art galleries. The Crown pub is a must see too - it's a Victorian Pub on Great Victoria Street owned and maintanied by the National Trust - it even still has the original gas lamps. You won't get blown up btw :lol:

Cheers mate, sounds like its worth a trip then, not sure I will have time to stay overnight on the Antrim coast to do it justice though, but I guess a few hours is better than nowt. I'm planning to go on St Patricks day btw, so the night time entertainment might be interesting!

Sorry I misread your post, thought you were on about just coming to Belfast for the day. Giant's Causeway isn't too far so you could take the quick route up there and then come back on a more picturesque route to see some of the Antrim Glens. Well worth it by all accounts.

Thinking of going a weekend break in a few weeks and have never been here, but the flights and hotels are cheap. Anybody been before, and is it worth the trip? One thing I would like to do is get to the Giant's causeway, how easy is this and is it feasible as a day trip (probably a Saturday). Oh, and will I get blown up?

Alex's and others opinions welcome. :lol:

Best time to go I've heard.

I'm planning to go on St Patricks day btw, so the night time entertainment might be interesting!

If being absolutely crushed in every bar you go near and having to put up with incredibly pissed spides is your thing then go for it but I wouldn't advise that weekend, better to come here when its a bit more relaxed IMO.

Its fine for a weekend as there are a few things to do but any more than that and you'd probably get bored but if you like the natural beauty/history thing then its a good place to visit.

I saw Belfast on that 'Street Doctor' programme the other week and the people looked like right 'tards. Put me off a bit. Mind you so did the Geordies the week after.

Bit rich coming from a Mackem.

I saw Belfast on that 'Street Doctor' programme the other week and the people looked like right 'tards. Put me off a bit. Mind you so did the Geordies the week after.

There was a rastafarian gentleman at Monument Metro Station on the Newcastle episode. Reminded me very much of myself when I'm about toon tbh.

There was a rastafarian gentleman at Monument Metro Station on the Newcastle episode. Reminded me very much of myself when I'm about toon tbh.

Was he kicking taxi wing mirrors as they went past? :lol:

Guest stevieintoon

Aye gann, don't forget your passport or tehy'll not let ye on the plane though even though it's in the UK. Class place, best lookin birds on these islands, neet oot cheaper than here, divvint talk about politics and they're class people, even the proddies.

Aye gann, don't forget your passport or tehy'll not let ye on the plane though even though it's in the UK. Class place, best lookin birds on these islands, neet oot cheaper than here, divvint talk about politics and they're class people, even the proddies.

:)

Where do you usually drink?

Aye gann, don't forget your passport or tehy'll not let ye on the plane though even though it's in the UK.

My driving license has always worked alright for me.

As long as it's a photo one it's fine.

Booked up, get there early St Patrick's day, but I'll just want a quiet drink and a meal at night, not bothered about pubs really. Sunday off to the Giant's causeway, Monday around Belfast centre and home.

Booked up, get there early St Patrick's day, but I'll just want a quiet drink and a meal at night, not bothered about pubs really. Sunday off to the Giant's causeway, Monday around Belfast centre and home.

Monday's a Bank Holiday btw (for St. Paddy's).

Monday's a Bank Holiday btw (for St. Paddy's).

Aye, I saw that. If I'm in a country where it's a bank holiday that means by rights I get the day off work, right?

Actually, how do the proddys take to it? Do they celebrate it?