Favourite and Worst Cover songs

Tom

Elbow - August and September (The The), they also do a canny cover of Working Class Hero

Maximo Park's version of Shiver they did for the R1 Live Lounge was alright as well.

My picks have been nicked then. There's also a Elbow cover of Black Sabbaths "The Wizard" from a bbc show kicking around. Seawee'd version of "Go Your Own Way" is good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Johnny Cash - One love U2

:lol: Also like his covers of Hurt (Nine Inch Nails) and The Mercy Seat (Nick Cave).

There's HUNDREDS of contenders for worst cover. I wouldn't even know where to start. :lol:

Mike Flowers' Pops: Wonderwall.

Is my memory defective or am I right in thinking that was released at virtually the same time as Wonderwall itself? And if so, why?

Mike Flowers' Pops: Wonderwall.

Is my memory defective or am I right in thinking that was released at virtually the same time as Wonderwall itself? And if so, why?

Novelty. And £££££££££.

What about 'Fuck you' and 'Fuck you right back'? The songwriters for those must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

That Frankie (or whatever) who sung the second one had absoluetly splendid chebs tho tbf.

Aye, it was. Noel Gallagher must have been loving it - two versions of his same song in the chart at the same time.

I think are Mike Flowers version was '96 and the original was '95.

I remember Noel Gallagher talking about Wonderwall on the TV once, about how very soon after it was released they had the request for Mike Flowers to cover it and he'd accepted it and forgotten all about it, until he was listening to the radio one day, and they played the Mike Flowers version for the first time, but the DJ joked that it was the original version from the 1960s, and Noel Gallagher thought he must have heard it sometime and it stayed in his subconscience and thought he'd unintentionally ripped it off.

Mind you, he was very close with a lot of his songs, although not so much Beatles songs as people like to accuse him of.

I thought both versions were pap.

Its a pretty overrated song like, and I love Oasis.

Loved their first album. Never quite lived up to that I reckon. Wonderwall does me heid in though.

Mind you, he was very close with a lot of his songs, although not so much Beatles songs as people like to accuse him of.

As someone once said 'I see Noel Gallagher's done another version of All the Young Dudes again...' :lol:

U2 and that bint doing One was fucking awful and I've heard a version of Creep done by Dylan that is too bad for words (although I'm not convinced it's real).

Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane is good and of course The Jam's version of the Batman theme is class.

U2 and that bint doing One was fucking awful and I've heard a version of Creep done by Dylan that is too bad for words (although I'm not convinced it's real).

Cowboy Junkies version of Sweet Jane is good and of course The Jam's version of the Batman theme is class.

its not real. FACT

The best cover ever, and it has been scientifically proven, is Easy by Faith No More.

agreed I forgot about that one, it actually is amazingly better than the commodores original. Different but without changing what the songs all about, the feel and vibe. Mike Patten is one of the greatest vocalist ever imho.

:(