worst city/town to have a night out in (uk)

bobbyshinton

I made my choices (Stoke and Crewe) on the basis of going out on the one night and not finding one place you would want to drink in, let alone find out the prices/clientelle snobbishness/blart ratio. That and the pervasive depressing feel/architecture of the place, coupled with the eerily empty streets on a friday/saturday night.

Which part of Stoke were you in?

The centre ?!?!? Does it have a hip and happening Latin quarter I didn't know about then :(

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

croydon's pretty dire. and slough for that matter.

sunderland?

Any place that has been subsumed into a much larger conurbation can't be included in my opinion - that goes for Wallsend etc. Why would you go out in Croydon when there are good connections to london 24/7?

I made my choices (Stoke and Crewe) on the basis of going out on the one night and not finding one place you would want to drink in, let alone find out the prices/clientelle snobbishness/blart ratio. That and the pervasive depressing feel/architecture of the place, coupled with the eerily empty streets on a friday/saturday night.

The centre ?!?!? Does it have a hip and happening Latin quarter I didn't know about then :(

Latin quarter? :blink: I had to spend 3 hours on me todd there one Friday night, hell, sheer hell. It was just scary tbh.

croydon's pretty dire. and slough for that matter.

sunderland?

The Office certainly didn't glamourise a night out in Slough.

Slough complained to the BBC because they felt The Office made Slough seem worse than it is. The beeb responded by saying it was a perfectly realistic portrayal. :(

Telford :(

Is Madley near telford (black country) if so I think you are onto a winner here

There is a little village next to Telford called Madley (Ive stayed in some hotel there called the Madley Court), Telfords about 15 mins away from Wolverhampton and has got nothing there but Inland Revenue buildings and a shopping centre.

Imagine Washington on Prozac and you have an inkling of the Telford buzz.

stayed in a cracking hotel in Madley, overlooking a private lake. Was working for a food company when they took a ice cream factory over in Telford (Clarkes) drank in Telford, like you say what a fucking hole

Clarion_Hotel_Madeley_Court.jpg

Thats the hotel, big old manor house type with a dining room the size of the city hall.

If you go to Telford you have to drink in the villages on the outskirts unless you fancy the bar in the bowling alley.

Telford is shocking. Ironbridge is very nice though! Washinton is appalling, as is South Shields.

Mold is bloody awful as well.

I'd also like to add Sheffield to the list.

Seconded. I did have a cracking night out there, but I was already half cut when I started drikning in the town and it struck me as the kind of place I couldn't drink every week.

As an aside, one of the best nights on the drink I've ever had was in Swindon. Swindon you fucker.

Middlesbrough

Redcar

Wakefield

Huddersfield

Not bad at all tbh.

Wakefield is a good night out. lots of pubs in close proximity. Good few clubs. Lots of other bars if you dont fancy the 'run'

High Wycombe. Awful. Very little in the way of clubs. Shame, because as my hometown I would like something to give me reason to actually go there.

I remember Reading being pretty shit come to think of it.

Agreed, Reading is a crap night out.

Totally disagree. But then again I am a student.

The centre ?!?!? Does it have a hip and happening Latin quarter I didn't know about then :D

Stoke is made up of three or 4 towns. Stoke actually being the 2nd worst of them Burslem being the worst. Hanley and Newcastle are good for a night out and Hanley is very good. Also got some great Balti restaurants.