Economics

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Did it for my degree. I might be able to help out but I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt, so your best bet might be Chezgiven as he works as one.

What's the problem?

Not so much a problem but would like a none tutors view on things like Malthus and competitive markets and Adam Smith and stuff.

Did it for my degree. I might be able to help out but I've forgotten a lot of what I learnt, so your best bet might be Chezgiven as he works as one.

What's the problem?

Not so much a problem but would like a none tutors view on things like Malthus and competitive markets and Adam Smith and stuff.

Yeah, you definitely want to talk to Chezgiven. :lol: I learned stuff to get me through the course and immediately purged my brain of it on completion.

What's the problem?

Malthus was a nut job who thought that everyone was so sex mad that the worlds economy would collapse due to over population.

Smith is most famous for his 'invisible hand' which contrary to popular belief isnt having a sly wank but is the process via which markets deliver optimal resource allocation. Right wing economics owes a lot to The Wealth of Nations. His main idea was to characterise individuals motivation to act in a self-interested manner. Modern economics has been built around developing this notion of a self-interested consumer or producer into something more complex, recognising our inability to always know what is our 'self-interest'.

To see where this idea has ended up you should read Steven Levitt's 'Freakonomics'.

http://www.freakonomics.com/thebook.php

Here he dissects human behaviour into basic incentive structures and explains some quite random phenomena. A good read for non-economists too.

What's the problem?

Malthus was a nut job who thought that everyone was so sex mad that the worlds economy would collapse due to over population.

Smith is most famous for his 'invisible hand' which contrary to popular belief isnt having a sly wank but is the process via which markets deliver optimal resource allocation. Right wing economics owes a lot to The Wealth of Nations. His main idea was to characterise individuals motivation to act in a self-interested manner. Modern economics has been built around developing this notion of a self-interested consumer or producer into something more complex, recognising our inability to always know what is our 'self-interest'.

To see where this idea has ended up you should read Steven Levitt's 'Freakonomics'.

http://www.freakonomics.com/thebook.php

Here he dissects human behaviour into basic incentive structures and explains some quite random phenomena. A good read for non-economists too.

...don't you think he should have a go at normal economics first Chez? :lol:

Although Freakonomics wasn't written with an eye toward academia, it has been adopted into many college and high-school curricula. In addition to being the sole textbook for a Senior Honors Thesis Seminar at Berkeley, Freakonomics is being used to teach Public Policy Analysis at Georgetown, Behavioral Science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, International Business at American University, Professional Writing at Purdue, Math at Randolph-Macon College, and Public Service Management at NYU. It has also been chosen by Appalachian State University for its freshman “Summer Reading” program, which means it will be taught throughout the university in various disciplines.

I know that by calling the teacher a c**t in the lesson amounts to getting a U grade at AS level. :lol:

Wow aren't you a hard man, calling your teacher a twat.

Look most people on this forum are adults, noones impressed, so shut up.

I know that by calling the teacher a c**t in the lesson amounts to getting a U grade at AS level. :lol:

Well aren't you precious?

There's nothing impressive about dubbing your economics teacher a flange, yet it is the main thing I took from studying economics for a year.

Well aren't you precious?

There's nothing impressive about dubbing your economics teacher a flange, yet it is the main thing I took from studying economics for a year.

Stop making a tit out of yourself on youtube, and you might do better next year.

A. Dont fill the kettle up more than you have to.

B. Dont drink the dreggs (long term health)

C. Its worth the extra 25p for Super Noodles as apposed to Sainsburys own

I hated Economics, both at school and at Uni (worse at Uni as the lecturers were the two biggest knobjockeys on earth. Twats).

But I think it went like this-

1. Take a mind-bogglingly complex scenario and turn it into a line.

2. Take another and do the same

3. Where the lines meet is where you want to be.

4. Do anything you have to in order to get to the intersection, despite the fact those efforts will almost certainly shift the lines and you find yourself on a wild graph chase.

5. Repeat until the end of term.

6. Erase from memory with the help of therapy.

God I hated Economics, really really bored the shit out of me.

All that comes flooding back at the moment is elasticity of demand. :lol:

I read that Freakonomics; flipppin' great book, really interesting, even if some was proven to be based on some shakey foundations (only occasionally).

Levitts talk of the use of economics "tools" in real life situations opens up some great and interesting angles upon questions in real life, and overall its just a pretty good read.

its not very difficult to understand, written by a journalist, with the theory of an economist.

P.S. all I need by AIR is flippin' sexy.

'Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things'

thats economics!