Official Formula 1 thread

Ketsbaia

Who do you think will win the title?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing as we have a few F1 fans on here I thought this thread was essential. It's just under two weeks, on March 18th, the 2007 season kicks off and it looks as if it's going to be one of the best in a long, long time.

The winter testing has been intresting with Honda again not delivering on the promise of a title challenging car but instead a fucking ugly livery, Massa constantly out doing Raikonnen, Renualt taking a massie step backwards and BMW are look quite handy too.

McLaren-Mercedes

40986_2.jpg

1. Fernando Alonso

2. Lewis Hamilton

Renault

40988_2.jpg

3. Giancarlo Fishichella

4. Heikki Kovalainen

Ferrari

40984_2.jpg

5. Felipe Massa

6. Kimi Raikonnen

Honda

2007earthlivery400.jpg

7. Jenson Button

8. Rubens Barrichello

BMW Sauber

40983_2.jpg

9. Nick Heidfeld

10. Robert Kubica

Toyota

40992_2.jpg

11. Ralf Schumacher

12. Jarno Trulli

Red Bull Racing

40987_2.jpg

13. David Coulthard

14. Mark Webber

WilliamsF1

41379_2.jpg

15. Nico Rosberg

16. Alexander Wurz

Toro Rosso

toro_rosso__1_.jpg

17. Antonio Liuzzi

18. Scott Speed

Spyker

40989_2.jpg

19. Christijan Albers

20. Adrian Sutil

Super Aguri

21. Takuma Sato

22. Anthony Davidson

*cue Gemmill's sarky jibes at the sport*

Ferrari seem to be ahead of Mclaren on pure pace at the moment and if recent history is anything to go by they should be more reliable too.

It's interesting to see that Massa has been consistently quicker than Raikonnen in testing. Wonder if Ferrari will let them fight head-to-head?

Hamilton looks to be a talent, and as long as Alonso doesn't blow him into the weeds in the first few races I think he'll do a decent job.

The Sauber-BMW car seems to be fast and well-sorted but we'll see what they can do over a race weekend.

As an aside, I hope Williams have a decent season. I applaud them for designing and building their own car, rather than taking the customer chassis option some of the lower ranking teams seem to be trying. I'd like to see them have a more successful season than the works Toyota team.

could be more easily persuaded to offer up my anal virginity to a Blue Whale than watch anything but the first corner of F1.

Whatever happened to the Jordan team? Did they fold or were they bought out?

Some Russian billionaire bought them out in 2005 and changed the name to Midland F1 which has now been sold to Dutch car manufacturer Spyker.

The Spyker team have stolen our race colours!! :icon_lol::lol: The Dutch A1 team cars looked very smart too.

I've gone for Kimi.....but thats cos i want him to win it. I dont feel the same about F1 anymore, i used to love it. Mind, if ITV got rid of that tit of a commentator it would be more bearable :rolleyes: Someone please tell me he's been fired!!

The Spyker team have stolen our race colours!! :icon_lol::lol: The Dutch A1 team cars looked very smart too.

I've gone for Kimi.....but thats cos i want him to win it. I dont feel the same about F1 anymore, i used to love it. Mind, if ITV got rid of that tit of a commentator it would be more bearable :rolleyes: Someone please tell me he's been fired!!

James Allen? I have to agree he's a fucking wanker. No doubt he's got a passion for the sport but he tries too hard to be Murray Walker. The way he acted when Button finally won was embarrasing, it was like he'd just clinched the title.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I fancy Massa to put on a strong title challenge. I don't think he'll win it though.

Edited by Skol

I agree with you Skol. If Massa can take his pre-season form (and he won the last race last season) into the first few races he could build a lead that the more established drivers would have difficulty chipping away at. Having said that I wouldn't be totally surprised if Mclaren turn up in Melbourne, totally dominate and Alonso walks away with it. Also the bookies have still got Kimi as the favourite and they're rarely wrong. I haven't cast my vote yet.

rubbish sport. its not moto gp for gods sake, and motogp is much more interesting.

but for the record ferrari should win the title.

they have the car thats most suited to the tyres. kind of an important factor.

bmw will always qualify well but i doubt they'll have the race pace.

The Spyker team have stolen our race colours!! B):icon_lol: The Dutch A1 team cars looked very smart too.

I've gone for Kimi.....but thats cos i want him to win it. I dont feel the same about F1 anymore, i used to love it. Mind, if ITV got rid of that tit of a commentator it would be more bearable B) Someone please tell me he's been fired!!

James Allen? I have to agree he's a fucking wanker. No doubt he's got a passion for the sport but he tries too hard to be Murray Walker. The way he acted when Button finally won was embarrasing, it was like he'd just clinched the title.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I fancy Massa to put on a strong title challenge. I don't think he'll win it though.

Yeah James Allen B) What a shame the legend that is Martin Brundle has to work alongside that prat. Wouldnt Damon Hill be so much better alongside Martin?

And yeah Massa should do well, no reason why not.

I used to follow F1 must more closely than I do now. I think the end for me was after Damon Hill retired. Not that I liked him, but the Hill/Schumacher rivalry was so entertaining. There's just no entertainment left, no personalities. It's just all so dry.

I look for Mark Webber's results and that's it.

From autosport.com:

Points system not working, says Ecclestone

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, March 12th 2007, 16:27 GMT

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the current Formula One points system doesn't work and makes the sport less exciting.

Currently, the system awards ten points to the winner of a race, with eight going to the runner-up and six to the third-placed driver.

The points system was changed in 2003 in order to avoid a driver clinching a title too early. Before that, the winning driver used to get four more points than the runner-up.

Ecclestone believes the current two-point difference is not enough to make drivers take risks and go for victory.

"The decision to award eight points to the runner-up in a Grand Prix has not worked," Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday.

"There's not enough motivation for the driver in second place to go for the win. They weigh up the situation and decide it's not worth the risk of falling off the road just for two lousy points.

"They reckon they might get lucky in the pits and sneak ahead that way, but that's the only way they are prepared to go for the No 1 spot. All I keep hearing is people moaning about the fact that we don't see an awful lot of overtaking any more in F1.

"To me, it should be all about winning," Ecclestone added. "The driver who wins the most races in the season should be the world champion.

"It's as simple as that. Second places should only come into the reckoning if both drivers win the same amount of races."

Ecclestone says he will push for a change in the system as soon as next season.

"Well, obviously not this season because the regulations are set, but I'd like to change it maybe for next season," he said. "As the president of the F1 Commission, I shall be bringing it up."

From autosport.com:

Points system not working, says Ecclestone

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, March 12th 2007, 16:27 GMT

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the current Formula One points system doesn't work and makes the sport less exciting.

Currently, the system awards ten points to the winner of a race, with eight going to the runner-up and six to the third-placed driver.

The points system was changed in 2003 in order to avoid a driver clinching a title too early. Before that, the winning driver used to get four more points than the runner-up.

Ecclestone believes the current two-point difference is not enough to make drivers take risks and go for victory.

"The decision to award eight points to the runner-up in a Grand Prix has not worked," Ecclestone told the Mail on Sunday.

"There's not enough motivation for the driver in second place to go for the win. They weigh up the situation and decide it's not worth the risk of falling off the road just for two lousy points.

"They reckon they might get lucky in the pits and sneak ahead that way, but that's the only way they are prepared to go for the No 1 spot. All I keep hearing is people moaning about the fact that we don't see an awful lot of overtaking any more in F1.

"To me, it should be all about winning," Ecclestone added. "The driver who wins the most races in the season should be the world champion.

"It's as simple as that. Second places should only come into the reckoning if both drivers win the same amount of races."

Ecclestone says he will push for a change in the system as soon as next season.

"Well, obviously not this season because the regulations are set, but I'd like to change it maybe for next season," he said. "As the president of the F1 Commission, I shall be bringing it up."

:baby: He's the berk who changed it.

The rule changes over the past few years have been pathetic. The only one he actually got right was the current qualifying format which was his third or fourth attempt at trying to make it more 'exciting'.

Qualifying was canny, should be a good race the'morra.

1 K Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1mins 26.072secs

2 F Alonso (Spn) McLaren 1:26.493

3 N Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:26.556

4 L Hamilton (GB) McLaren 1:26.755

5 R Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:27.347

6 G Fisichella (Ita) Renault 1:27.634

7 M Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:27.934

8 J Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:28.404

9 R Schumacher (Ger) Toyota 1:28.692

10 T Sato (Jpn) Super Aguri 1:28.871

11 A Davidson (GB) Super Aguri 1:26.909

12 N Rosberg (Ger) Williams 1:26.914

13 H Kovalainen (Fin) Renault 1:26.964

14 J Button (GB) Honda 1:27.264

15 A Wurz (Aut) Williams 1:27.343

16 F Massa (Brz) Ferrari no time*

17 R Barrichello (Bra) Honda 1:27.679

18 S Speed (USA) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:28.305

19 D Coulthard (GB) Red Bull 1:28.579

20 V Liuzzi (Ita) Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:29.267

21 A Sutil (Ger) Spyker 1:29.339

22 C Albers (Ned) Spyker 1:31.932

Nice to see the Super Aguri's up midfield rather than being at the back.

Cracking job by Hamilton to qualify 4th in his first F1 qualifying session :lol:

He was outdoing Alonso for most of the session. He seemed to make a mistake on the mid-section of the lap that mattered that lost him a couple of tenths. He could've easily been 3rd or even 2nd had he kept it together.

The new Honda is completely and utterly shite by the looks of it. Super Aguri are running last years Honda and they're streets ahead of the new 'Earth Car'.