Official Formula 1 thread

Ketsbaia

Who do you think will win the title?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Massa took some penalty after changing his engine and has moved to the back of the grid.

Race is about to get underway, on the warm up lap as i speak. Will watch the first couple of laps and then i have to shoot off to cricket.

Im a McLaren man so im hoping Alonso or Hamilton do well.

Kimi out to a big lead after about 5 corners, Alonso fell back to 4th, Hamilton into 3rd and Heidfeld is into 2nd.

No crashes on the first lap it seems, im semi sad.

Final positions after 58 laps:

1. K Raikkonen (Ferrari)

2. F Alonso (McLaren)

3. L Hamilton (McLaren)

4. N Heidfeld (BMW Sauber)

5. G Fisichella (Renault)

6. F Massa (Ferrari)

7. N Rosberg (Toyota)

8. R Schumacher (Toyota)

Fab debut by Hamilton. Despite the final placings, he had the edge over Alonso for most of the race and it was only the final pit stop where he lost out.

Not many drivers can say they've outperformed Alonso, let alone on his debut.

Kimi has this title in the bag already though IMO. :lol:

Got in from the pub at about midnight so I ended up staying up and watching it all.

I was very impressed with Hamilton, he looks like he can be a class act.

Ferrari just look too quick at the minute. It'll be intresting to see Massa and Raikonnen battling it out at the front of the field.

Fab debut by Hamilton. Despite the final placings, he had the edge over Alonso for most of the race and it was only the final pit stop where he lost out.

Not many drivers can say they've outperformed Alonso, let alone on his debut.

Kimi has this title in the bag already though IMO. :D

Good.

Alos, you used the word "fab" :lol:

Kimi has this title in the bag already though IMO. :unsure:

I don't think he'll have it all his own way. There is potential for an epic title battle with Alonso.

I'd like to see Kimi & Ferrari do it, but a tight championship fight between a couple of closely-matched teams (if you throw in Massa and Hamilton) is exactly what F1 needs.

Echo the sentiments about Hamilton's début btw.

• 2 weeks later...
Hamilton shines as rain hits Sepang

Lewis Hamilton made the most of limited dry-weather running at Sepang on Thursday to top the times on the third day of the test.

The British rookie continued his fine form by heading the field on a day when the track was bone dry for only a couple of hours, after it took an overnight soaking before rained returned in mid-afternoon.

Hamilton emerged as the pacesetter when the track was at its driest in the early part of the afternoon and completed 57 laps to edge out Mark Webber in the Red Bull RB3 by 0.2s.

Ralf Schumacher continued to give Toyota encouragement ahead of next weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix with the third fastest time, with Tonio Liuzzi just behind in the Toro Rosso.

Ferrari’s testing duties were handed over to Felipe Massa on day three and the Brazilian carried out both dry and wet weather set-up work.

Nico Rosberg was seventh quickest for Williams as he carried out brake, aero and cooling tests.

Jenson Button put the upgraded Honda RA107 in eighth place and despite the changeable conditions completed an impressive 92 laps – setting a time that put him just ahead of Anthony Davidson in the Super

Aguri.

Nick Heidfeld and BMW were not only frustrated by the weather, as an oil leak on the German’s F1.07 ruined his chances of maximising what little dry-weather running time was available.

It took the BMW mechanics almost four hours to repair the bodywork damage caused by the resultant fire, by which time the rain had returned to wash out the rest of the session.

Renault found itself bottom of the pile, after Heikki Kovalainen completed only 20 laps as the team was forced to wait for new parts sent direct from its Enstone factory.

"We did very few laps today, not just because of the poor conditions, but also because we were waiting for components to arrive from Enstone," said chief test engineer Christian Silk.

"The team did its utmost to ensure the delay cost us as little track time as possible as we prepared the car.

"It is always disappointing not to get the most from the day, but it is not a major worry, especially as the conditions today were not particularly good."

The world champion team will get another chance to work on its testing programme on Friday after teams agreed to extend the session by an extra day following the poor weather.

and:

FIA acts to close bodywork loophole

The FIA has introduced stringent new bodywork tests to close a loophole in the regulations that Ferrari and BMW Sauber were believed to be using to their advantage in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix.

The move comes after rival teams drew attention to the floor mounting system on Ferrari’s F2007 chassis, which they argued used a spring device to improve the car’s aerodynamics at speed.

McLaren boss Ron Dennis alluded to the issue in Melbourne – without specifically mentioning Ferrari – pointing out that the first race of the season always gives rise to question marks over interpretation of the rules.

Dennis suggested that if the FIA took no action to clarify contentious points, rival teams would adopt similar solutions for their cars before the next race.

And a report by autosport.com reveals that McLaren’s engineering director Paddy Lowe wrote to FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting raising the floor mounting issue and asking for permission to use a Ferrari-style system.

Lowe’s letter was clearly intended to prompt the governing body to clarify whether it will continue to deem such systems legal even though their effect is to circumvent rules limiting bodywork flexibility.

F1’s technical regulations state that bodywork (including the floor) must not deflect more than 5mm vertically when a 500 Newton load is applied upwards.

The spring device used by Ferrari has been on the team’s cars since the end of last season and has passed all subsequent scrutineering checks.

The concern from rival teams is that, while the car passes the 5mm deflection test at rest, the spring device causes the floor to lift under greater loads at high speed, leading the diffuser to stall.

If true, this would confer aerodynamic benefits – reducing drag and thus either increasing straight-line speed or allowing the team to run more downforce for a given straight-line speed.

The FIA has responded by toughening up the deflection test to ensure that the bodywork flexibility rules are strictly adhered to in future.

From the Malaysian Grand Prix onwards, cars will have to pass scrutineering with any spring mounting devices removed.

The change could have a significant effect on the competitive state of play in F1, since the two teams expected to have to modify their cars are Ferrari and BMW Sauber.

Ferrari was a dominant force in the Australian GP while BMW lies third in the constructors’ championship.

Expect McLaren to close the gap on Ferrari next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton all tied at the top on 22 points.

I think Alonso is going to do it again, he's been there and done it before and McLaren seem to have solved their reliability achilles heel. Hamilton is doing a fantastic job but he'll make a rookies mistake sooner or later.

What a breath of fresh air Lewis Hamilton is, a fantastic start to his F1 career, lets hope he can keep it up.

He certainly is.

I can't say I am surprised at what he's achieved. If you have watched his career... I don't think I have ever seen anyone so determined coming up through the ranks. The last I can remember like that was Senna.

He has the potential to be as good and what's more, he's showing it.

I am a bit tired of his performance being feted as the Second Coming. He is a very good driver in a very good car. And will the media shut the fuck up about him being the joint leader in the Championship? He might be level on points, but he's third behind Alonso (leader) and Raikkonen. The countback rules are quite clear :lol:

What a breath of fresh air Lewis Hamilton is, a fantastic start to his F1 career, lets hope he can keep it up.

He certainly is.

I can't say I am surprised at what he's achieved. If you have watched his career... I don't think I have ever seen anyone so determined coming up through the ranks. The last I can remember like that was Senna.

He has the potential to be as good and what's more, he's showing it.

I am a bit tired of his performance being feted as the Second Coming. He is a very good driver in a very good car. And will the media shut the fuck up about him being the joint leader in the Championship? He might be level on points, but he's third behind Alonso (leader) and Raikkonen. The countback rules are quite clear :lol:

Agreed there was an article in one of the papers last week describing him as one of the all-time greats. He's not even won a race yet ffs.

One of the things about him that has most impressed me (other than his ability behind the wheel) is his unruffled style and modesty. He seems very pleasant and down to earth in a world of super-egos.

Word Up to Dangerous Dave Coulthard and his storming drive until his car caught fire yesterday. As Sniff Petrol would say: "Och aye the noo, mofos".

:ok: yeah I was going to mention DC's effort.

• 4 weeks later...
Singapore is to stage Formula 1’s first night-time race in 2008 after the country confirmed a five-year deal with Bernie Ecclestone on Friday.

The Southeast Asian country will have the honour of hosting F1’s first race under floodlights, with the inaugural event on a new street circuit pencilled in for next September or October.

The announcement ends weeks of speculation about whether Singapore would feature on next year’s calendar and is the second new street race to be added to the 2008 schedule in as many days, after Valencia confirmed its own grand prix from next season.

“I am very pleased to welcome Singapore to the Formula 1 family and we look forward to this exotic addition to the championship,” Ecclestone said.

“This will be the first fully lit street race in Formula 1.

“As a night race we anticipate it will quickly establish itself as one of the most dramatic and atmospheric races on our calendar.

“I know the Formula 1 drivers, teams and fans are all looking forward to coming to Singapore next year.”

The race will take place on public roads around the downtown Marina Bay area, with the race proposals including powerful lighting systems that will replicate daylight conditions and stringent safety measures to ensure both driver and spectator safety.

“It will be more than just a motor race,” said Singapore's minister of state for trade and industry, Mr S Iswaran.

“We envision it to be a national festival, and one that presents many opportunities for participation for everyone, both visitors and Singaporeans alike.

“Singaporeans are excited about the race coming to Singapore and I share their enthusiasm.

"Singapore looks forward to welcoming the Formula 1 drivers, teams and fans to Singapore next year.”

The good news for European television viewers is that the decision to stage the Singapore GP at night means the race will be broadcast in Europe at a more fan-friendly hour.

Madness IMO. Why has Bernie making a point of night races?

Too much danger IMO and the drivers are showing concern - not good.

I think you'll find the answer to that one in the final paragraph:

The good news for European television viewers is that the decision to stage the Singapore GP at night means the race will be broadcast in Europe at a more fan-friendly hour.

I think you'll find the answer to that one in the final paragraph:

But that doesn't make sense an account of Bernie's desire to globalise the sport and move it away from Europe. All he's succeeding in doing is creating a new GP for the far east but making it unsociable for the locals to watch.

I think it's more driven by a desire for a night race than a European friendly TV hour otherwise the likes of Australia, Malaysia & Japan would be night races too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hamilton has stuck it on the pole. Could be looking good for his first win today if he stays away from the 'champions wall'.

McLaren seem to have put a bit of distance between themselves and Ferrari over the last few weeks, wish I'd had that bet on Alonso to be drivers champion when he was 15/4