We face fight for Woodgate

Craig

Kieron Dyer will use all his powers of persuasion to try to bring Jonathan Woodgate back to Newcastle United in the summer - but he fears he is already fighting a losing battle.

Woodgate's first return to St James's Park last weekend fittingly brought him a clean sheet and a point for current club Middlesbrough, as the centre-back gave a timely reminder of his class.

But although United have been linked with an attempt to re-sign the Real Madrid stopper when his loan deal at Boro expires at the end of the season, Dyer has hinted his close friend will have plenty of other suitors who could turn his head.

Woodgate has refused to reveal his plans after this campaign, with Boro keen to turn his temporary move into a permanent deal, but Dyer feels the 27-year-old could be looking for a guarantee of Champions League football.

None of English football's big four - Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United or Liverpool - have publicly expressed an interest in the former Leeds man, but every one of the quartet could be attracted to a fit-again Woodgate if Real Madrid decide to sell him. "I would love him to come to Newcastle but it's going to be difficult," said Dyer, who has known Woodgate since they played in the same England Under-21 side. "The way he is playing at the moment, the fact is, it isn't just going to be Newcastle and Middlesbrough who are after him.

"I honestly believe the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, all of them will be interested in him. There are clubs who can offer him the Champions League and one of those is Real Madrid, so who knows what is going to happen, it will be up to Jonathan because he'll have a lot of options available to him after the season he's had at Middlesbrough.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Real Madrid wanted to keep him. He's proven his fitness and he could go back to Spain at the end of the season. He's certainly good enough."

Dyer had to give up his money when he lost a bet with Woodgate on Saturday after insisting the Magpies would score against Boro, but he will not give up easily when it comes to trying to persuade the defender to return to St James's Park as a United player.

He said: "We saw on Saturday what a class act Jonathan Woodgate is. He's a top player, but I don't know if the manager wants him. I don't make those sorts of decisions in the transfer market.

"If we do try to get him in the summer, I will be on the phone every day trying to persuade him to come back to Newcastle. I did that last summer when I knew he was coming back (to England) and I did the same when he was at Leeds and Newcastle had a bid accepted.

"But at the moment he is a Boro player and there were reports during the last international break that they were close to getting him, so it's a bit disrespectful to be talking about trying to get him to come to Newcastle at this stage."

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kieron Dyer will use all his powers of persuasion to try to bring Jonathan Woodgate back to Newcastle United in the summer - but he fears he is already fighting a losing battle.

Woodgate's first return to St James's Park last weekend fittingly brought him a clean sheet and a point for current club Middlesbrough, as the centre-back gave a timely reminder of his class.

But although United have been linked with an attempt to re-sign the Real Madrid stopper when his loan deal at Boro expires at the end of the season, Dyer has hinted his close friend will have plenty of other suitors who could turn his head.

Woodgate has refused to reveal his plans after this campaign, with Boro keen to turn his temporary move into a permanent deal, but Dyer feels the 27-year-old could be looking for a guarantee of Champions League football.

None of English football's big four - Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United or Liverpool - have publicly expressed an interest in the former Leeds man, but every one of the quartet could be attracted to a fit-again Woodgate if Real Madrid decide to sell him. "I would love him to come to Newcastle but it's going to be difficult," said Dyer, who has known Woodgate since they played in the same England Under-21 side. "The way he is playing at the moment, the fact is, it isn't just going to be Newcastle and Middlesbrough who are after him.

"I honestly believe the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, all of them will be interested in him. There are clubs who can offer him the Champions League and one of those is Real Madrid, so who knows what is going to happen, it will be up to Jonathan because he'll have a lot of options available to him after the season he's had at Middlesbrough.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Real Madrid wanted to keep him. He's proven his fitness and he could go back to Spain at the end of the season. He's certainly good enough."

Dyer had to give up his money when he lost a bet with Woodgate on Saturday after insisting the Magpies would score against Boro, but he will not give up easily when it comes to trying to persuade the defender to return to St James's Park as a United player.

He said: "We saw on Saturday what a class act Jonathan Woodgate is. He's a top player, but I don't know if the manager wants him. I don't make those sorts of decisions in the transfer market.

"If we do try to get him in the summer, I will be on the phone every day trying to persuade him to come back to Newcastle. I did that last summer when I knew he was coming back (to England) and I did the same when he was at Leeds and Newcastle had a bid accepted.

"But at the moment he is a Boro player and there were reports during the last international break that they were close to getting him, so it's a bit disrespectful to be talking about trying to get him to come to Newcastle at this stage."

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

:lol:

But you just have anyway.

Been learning from Roeder tbh. "We've had massive injury problems but I'm not going to stand here and talk about that." Needs to start talking in the third person though.

Been learning from Roeder tbh. "We've had massive injury problems but I'm not going to stand here and talk about that." Needs to start talking in the third person though.

"When people count out Kieron Dyer, Kieron Dyer knows they're wrong and once Kieron Dyer is back fit again Kieron Dyer will show them all."

Guest Patrokles

"When people count out Kieron Dyer, Kieron Dyer knows they're wrong and once Kieron Dyer is back fit again Kieron Dyer will show them all."

Third person AND past tense. That's above and beyond Roeder.

Tynesides favourite Smoggy?

Personally, I cant see him coming back because when he was injured i understand we wouldnt take the gamble like Boro did, secondly for the reason of local rivalry which has been mentioned above.

Oh and I doubt we can offer him anything more than Boro next season

I'd have taken him back personally, though it would limit the development of any future back four though him being in and out the team - unless he really has put his injuries behind him.

• 4 years later...