The Irish

newcastlebroon

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, here's an interesting fact. Over half of people born on Tyneside have Irish roots somewhere in their makeup.

Is that actually true or just internet true?

Or is that just a viking link which is true for vast swathes of Europe?

True, according to an interview with a genealogist I heard on the radio a few months back.

Guest stevieintoon

My dad always goes on about how badly he was treat on sites like Wimpy's in the 60's all with Irish gaffers, he really can't stand them in general, even though his mam is Irish.

I don't think they're all cunts though, in my experience, catholic or protestant, the people from the North of Ireland, Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Belfast etc...are the nicest of the micks. In fact in Belfast, despite their troubles, it's difficult for me to remember meeting nicer people.

The job I used to do involved a lot of selling to people in Ireland, in Clare, Kerry and Limerick, they're alright but so dense in my experience, while in Dublin they come across in general as people like Ewerk, snooty, condescending, snobby, superior, and never wrong. That's only what I've seen and it's clear in Dublin there is a charva element of people like Damien Duff, whom I've not come across personally. The biggest cunts of the lot are in Galway, they're chalk and cheese to some Irish people, and seem particularly insular.

For a country of under 5m people it's astonishing how completely different the people are from county to county. Irish over all aren't bad, and despite 800 years of occupation, the people on the face of it these days don't have as big a chip on their shoulder about England as Scots do.

Christ, you don't half like generalising about people, do you? Have you got a category for every country? How do you categorize the English and Geordies?

And whilst slagging off other people you've never met, have you ever stopped to consider how you come across yourself? Just a thought. :baby:

I couldn't give a fuck how I come across to be honest. If people don't like me fuck them, their problem not mine. Obviously it's a generalisation, but these are my perceptions of people collectively, not individually or people in the various regions of Ireland.

Also, here's an interesting fact. Over half of people born on Tyneside have Irish roots somewhere in their makeup.

Is that actually true or just internet true?

Or is that just a viking link which is true for vast swathes of Europe?

True, according to an interview with a genealogist I heard on the radio a few months back.

Aye but that would still probably be true with the viking thing, as well as along the coast of Scotland, outer islands, Scandinavia and Germany (obviously) and along the north coast of Europe and even into Northern France.

Which is a very different thing to say half of people having a descendant directly from Ireland in the last 100 years or so (although an awful lot of people do, myself included).

In fact the most of England’s (and the UKs to a lesser degree) “indigenous” population is genetically made up mostly from a fairly discreet genetic stock (although equally with injections from almost everywhere but native american DNA).

Just wondered if there was a huge Irish movement into the area or something (more than the general influx across the UK).

It should really be called St Cynical Guiness Promotion Lapped Up By Gullible Simpletons' Day but that doesn't roll of the tongue as well.

Cynical observations that cut to the truth of the matter will soon be illegal, get them in while you can. :baby:

Guest stevieintoon

I like the people I've met in Belfast I must admit, very friendly in genera. Can't do enough for you.

Best people I've ever met, genuinely warm, and the birds are fantastic compared to most places I've been to in England.

My dad always goes on about how badly he was treat on sites like Wimpy's in the 60's all with Irish gaffers, he really can't stand them in general, even though his mam is Irish.

I don't think they're all cunts though, in my experience, catholic or protestant, the people from the North of Ireland, Donegal, Derry, Armagh, Belfast etc...are the nicest of the micks. In fact in Belfast, despite their troubles, it's difficult for me to remember meeting nicer people.

The job I used to do involved a lot of selling to people in Ireland, in Clare, Kerry and Limerick, they're alright but so dense in my experience, while in Dublin they come across in general as people like Ewerk, snooty, condescending, snobby, superior, and never wrong. That's only what I've seen and it's clear in Dublin there is a charva element of people like Damien Duff, whom I've not come across personally. The biggest cunts of the lot are in Galway, they're chalk and cheese to some Irish people, and seem particularly insular.

For a country of under 5m people it's astonishing how completely different the people are from county to county. Irish over all aren't bad, and despite 800 years of occupation, the people on the face of it these days don't have as big a chip on their shoulder about England as Scots do.

Christ, you don't half like generalising about people, do you? Have you got a category for every country? How do you categorize the English and Geordies?

And whilst slagging off other people you've never met, have you ever stopped to consider how you come across yourself? Just a thought. :baby:

I couldn't give a fuck how I come across to be honest. If people don't like me fuck them, their problem not mine. Obviously it's a generalisation, but these are my perceptions of people collectively, not individually or people in the various regions of Ireland.

Clearly you don't give a fuck how you come across, I'm just questioning the need for the insults and hostility, that's all.

Guest stevieintoon

Clearly you don't give a fuck how you come across, I'm just questioning the need for the insults and hostility, that's all.

Where are the insults and hostilities?

You insult indirectly, by making sweeping derogatory generalisations based on nationality, and directly, as you know fine well you did with me last week and similarly with Ewerk in this thread. And are you seriously telling me you're not hostile to people?

Thing is, maybe you are just taking the piss in a friendly way but that's not how it comes across to me.

Guest stevieintoon

Tom_NUFC, have you got a link to that genealogy story?

Is this the one you heard about? The study by Oppenheimer is a must read for anyone interested in anglo-irish relationships.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/science/...agewanted=print

I think 50% of people having some Irish connection could be right or even on the conservative side.

Places like East Anglia, where they only got electricity in 1982, I'd guess has a larger anglo-saxon dominated bloodstock than, somewhere like Manchester or Liverpool where a lot of Irish moved to when they escaped the potato famine.

If you do a little poll on here I bet half have some Irish blood.

I have on both sides.

I saw a programme once about some village where they found some ancient tombs and they were able to link the DNA to some of the people still living there. Sounds a bit like the pit village I grew up in.

Guest stevieintoon

You insult indirectly, by making sweeping derogatory generalisations based on nationality, and directly, as you know fine well you did with me last week and similarly with Ewerk in this thread. And are you seriously telling me you're not hostile to people?

Thing is, maybe you are just taking the piss in a friendly way but that's not how it comes across to me.

Yoy remind me of my mother. I bought her this Henna hair stuff, which I know she's used before and 100 tabs for her birthday, and she gets emotional saying I'm accusing her of going grey. Over sensitive people do my head in.

Yoy remind me of my mother. I bought her this Henna hair stuff, which I know she's used before and 100 tabs for her birthday, and she gets emotional saying I'm accusing her of going grey. Over sensitive people do my head in.

That's a shit birthday present in anyones book mind.

Guest stevieintoon

Well I was skint. £30 was a lot of money to me then.

When you put it that way, it was still a shit birthday present.

Guest stevieintoon

When you put it that way, it was still a shit birthday present.

They were real tabs, none of this Spanish shite.

I can imagine it now "Here you go ya twat, im off down the pub" "what the fucks wrong with you now you twat!?"

Sorry Cath :baby::lol: Edit: ignore that forgot about the filter thing, people get the idea :lol:

Edited by Gejon