Bruce on way out?

Kid Dynamite

David Gold has insisted Birmingham will continue to say "no" to any attempts to lure manager Steve Bruce away from St Andrews.

And the Blues chairman is hoping Newcastle see a revival in fortunes to ease the pressure on current manager Graeme Souness.

It is exactly 12 months since Blues successfully held off a bid by the Geordies to lure Bruce from St Andrews in order to replace Sir Bobby Robson which led to Bruce signing a new five-year contract with City.

But Bruce is certain to again be amongst the front runners if Newcastle decide on another change at the top.

Gold said: "I have to admit that a shiver runs down my spine when I see Newcastle struggling at the moment. I can only wish them the best for the rest of the season and hope they are successful!

"In business you fight tooth and nail to keep your best people. We knew Steve was a Geordie and that Newcastle would be tempting.

"But we weren't about to roll over and let someone like Steve go to Newcastle just like that. Our policy is always to keep the best manager, the best players and the best directors at Birmingham City."

Gold, who last week gave a public vote of confidence to Bruce after a poor start to the season by City, stressed the determination to hold on to the former Manchester United captain.

He said: "All I can say is that Steve is contracted to Birmingham but then so was Robbie Savage and we saw what happened there. We will always continue to say no to such approaches, though.

"No-one has a bigger impact on a club than its manager and Steve will hold a special place here as the man who took us to the Premiership - and kept us there."

read between the lines and i would say that is as good as a p45 to old stevie

Edited by J69

David Gold has insisted Birmingham will continue to say "no" to any attempts to lure manager Steve Bruce away from St Andrews.

And the Blues chairman is hoping Newcastle see a revival in fortunes to ease the pressure on current manager Graeme Souness.

It is exactly 12 months since Blues successfully held off a bid by the Geordies to lure Bruce from St Andrews in order to replace Sir Bobby Robson which led to Bruce signing a new five-year contract with City.

But Bruce is certain to again be amongst the front runners if Newcastle decide on another change at the top.

Gold said: "I have to admit that a shiver runs down my spine when I see Newcastle struggling at the moment. I can only wish them the best for the rest of the season and hope they are successful!

"In business you fight tooth and nail to keep your best people. We knew Steve was a Geordie and that Newcastle would be tempting.

"But we weren't about to roll over and let someone like Steve go to Newcastle just like that. Our policy is always to keep the best manager, the best players and the best directors at Birmingham City."

Gold, who last week gave a public vote of confidence to Bruce after a poor start to the season by City, stressed the determination to hold on to the former Manchester United captain.

He said: "All I can say is that Steve is contracted to Birmingham but then so was Robbie Savage and we saw what happened there. We will always continue to say no to such approaches, though.

"No-one has a bigger impact on a club than its manager and Steve will hold a special place here as the man who took us to the Premiership - and kept us there."

read between the lines and i would say that is as good as a p45 to old stevie

23159[/snapback]

If Steve Bruce comes here, then I'll be very worried....I think he's even more cack than Souness.