Navarro banned for seven months

Isegrim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6425359.stm

Navarro handed lengthy brawl ban

Valencia's David Navarro connects with Nicolas Burdisso's nose

Burdisso feels the force of Navarro's punch

Valencia's David Navarro has received a seven-month European ban for his role in the on-pitch brawl in the Champions League game against Inter Milan.

Navarro broke the nose of Inter's Nicolas Burdisso, who was banned for six games along with team-mate Maicon.

Valencia's Carlos Marchena was banned for four games, while Inter's Ivan Cordoba and Julio Cruz received three and two-match bans.

Both clubs have also been fined about £106,000 by Uefa.

Uefa's disciplinary body announced the decision on Wednesday after examining the official reports of the delegate and referee, along with video evidence.

And the European world governing body said it would now ask Fifa to extend the suspension on Navarro to international level so that it also applies to any football competitions - including domestic leagues and national-team fixtures.

The various parties have three days to appeal against the decisions once they have received written notice of the decisions.

Uefa opted not to impose a stadium ban on Valencia, who play Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the competition.

Valencia progressed on away goals after a 0-0 draw in the second leg at the Mestralla, but the result was overshadowed by events on the final whistle.

Valencia midfielder Marchena appeared to kick out at Burdisso after exchanging words.

The incident sparked the brawl and Navarro, a substitute who had not featured in the match, ran on to the middle of the pitch and punched Burdisso.

Several Inter players tried to kick Navarro as he ran off the pitch and the fighting continued in the tunnel and outside the dressing rooms.

Inter coach Roberto Mancini has dubbed Navarro "a coward" for his act.

Mancini said: "There's nothing else you can say about someone who throws a punch like that and runs away."

Nothing like this has happened before because I am not a violent person

David Navarro

Navarro has said sorry for his role in the fracas and offered to go to Italy to apologise to Burdisso in person.

He said: "I want to say sorry for what happened, what I did was not good.

"It was a lack of respect for the football world and that's why I wanted to ask forgiveness from the Inter player.

"If I need to go to Italy to say sorry, I will.

"This is a bad time for me, nothing like this has happened before because I am not a violent person. I am setting a bad example."

Valencia's Italian defender Emiliano Moretti has expressed his surprise at his team-mate's actions.

"Navarro is a perfectly normal person and I don't know what would cause him to do such a thing," he told Italian television.

Seven months? So should Valencia be knocked out by Chelsea in the next round and Valencia qualify automatically for next season's CL Navarro will effectively only miss 4 games?

Seven months? So should Valencia be knocked out by Chelsea in the next round and Valencia qualify automatically for next season's CL Navarro will effectively only miss 4 games?

never been the same after jane's addiction tbh

Is he still with Carmen Electra? I heard they split up, that would affect him too tbh. I'd miss tapping that ass...

Is he still with Carmen Electra? I heard they split up, that would affect him too tbh. I'd miss tapping that ass...

He's all over american celebrity poker and with all the totty in vegas I highly doubt he's got his cock in his pants long enough to remember who carmen is!

He's all over american celebrity poker and with all the totty in vegas I highly doubt he's got his cock in his pants long enough to remember who carmen is!

Mmmmmmm...i might have to try that method next time!