Roeder blames defence for defeat

Matty

Opinion article about Roeder (then later moving on to the club in general) on the Beeb today, makes some valid points imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20812862

Excellent article; Leazes will dismiss it as the work of a know-nothing southern fancy dan journalist.

Newcastle United is currently a middle of the road club that has not won a trophy for 38 years. These are the facts.

Us summed up.

The defence were undoubtedly pap but the blame needs to be spread around the whole team.

Our midfield just didn't keep possession so the defence were under far too much pressure. Also, with Sibierski starting we always took the easy way out and lumped it long to him which invariably meant us quickly losing possession. With Dyer and Martins up-front we would have had to keep possession a little bit better (granted we still would have probably lumped it long).

I think the whole team and Roeder's tactics have to take the blame for this one, rather than just point the finger solely at the defence.

Opinion article about Roeder (then later moving on to the club in general) on the Beeb today, makes some valid points imo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A20812862

Excellent article; Leazes will dismiss it as the work of a know-nothing southern fancy dan journalist.

Newcastle United is currently a middle of the road club that has not won a trophy for 38 years. These are the facts.

Us summed up.

I think he already has read the first post on the article.

NU has underestimated the striking power of AZ. After the home match, English papers were talking about the defence of AZ (holey cheese or someting like that) ... but never, never underestimate the cheesy boys from Alkmaar. <_<

NU has underestimated the striking power of AZ. After the home match, English papers were talking about the defence of AZ (holey cheese or someting like that) ... but never, never underestimate the cheesy boys from Alkmaar. <_<

On the contrary, I think we overestimated it. Which is why we didn't bother attacking you until we were 2-0 down.

Aye, far too much respect. I found it baffling that Roeder was on about 'no fear' when we looked like a team who were scared shitless.

More evidence of him saying one thing and doing another tbh.

Roeder blames defence for defeat

Roeder was not happy with the way his side performed

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder launched into an attack on his defenders after the club's Uefa Cup exit on away goals to Dutch side AZ Alkmaar.

The Magpies held a 4-2 first leg lead but saw that overturned all too easily as AZ Alkmaar won 2-0 in the return.

"They are not good goals we conceded," he said. "Too often crosses come into our box, they are not defended properly and bad decisions are made.

"I have to find defenders who are good enough to play in front of Shay Given."

AZ Alkmaar took the lead when a low cross was not cut out by Steven Taylor and was converted by Shota Arveladze.

Their second came when Danny Koevermans lost his marker Titus Bramble and nodded home.

Roeder added: "Shay Given is a is a top drawer keeper but he does not get the protection he should get. He is exposed far too easily. We did not have enough players who came out and performed, which was a surprise and unexpected

"Too many defenders make too many mistakes that cost us points.

"They do well, you are happy with them and you think they have learnt. Then 'bang' they go and make the same mistake again and let you down."

wownoshitfridaysu8.jpg

I blame Huntington and Taylor for the first and Parker for the second (His marker can't have been Bramble surely, he was miles away before the corner was taken).

Don't you blame Parker for the first, and also the two goals they scored at our place?

It was Bramble's man for the second goal. Watch it, in between sticking needles into your Scott Parker doll.

Got an e-mail from a cousin today who has been a Newcastle supporter longer than me cos he's older than me. Here's the content of his e-mail.

Subject: Dis-United.

Everthing that has gone wrong all season long seemed to happen altogether last night.

Useless board, useless manager, and countless useless assistants.

Supposed super-stars who just don't perform.

Apparent lack of fight and will to win.

Tactically naive.

Sadly the season will just grind on with little or no hope of improvement.

However Newcastle supporters will just carry on hoping, just as we have always done.

Keep the faith bonny lad.

Nothing more certain than another meek surrender on Sunday

Narr, we'll scratch a win and paper over the cracks once again.

Thats the thing with Newcastle, you always think you kniw what we'll do but every now and then they do the oppositte.

So the most likely result is another weak, disorganised away effort with no shape and Roeder pickignt he wrong team and making no changes as we lose, or we go and scrape a win or win comfortably and Fat Fred will sit back happy again to do fuck all!