Shepherd backs Roeder's plan

Jimbo

Shepherd backs Roeder's plan

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 17/03/2007

The Newcastle United chairman, Freddy Shepherd, last night pledged to finance a major rebuilding of the team's defence, whose frailty cost the club a place in the Uefa Cup quarter-finals.

Shepherd promised boardroom support for Glenn Roeder after his manager launched an extraordinary public attack on his defenders, whom he blamed for the 2-0 defeat by AZ Alkmaar in Holland that saw Newcastle eliminated on Thursday night.

"All of us had set our heart on winning the competition but maybe with all the injuries, that was asking too much," Shepherd said. "Mind you, we won't feel sorry for ourselves and must make sure Newcastle United come back better and stronger next year. The return of Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi will certainly help, that's like two new signings for starters.

"And, of course, the board do everything it can to back Glenn Roeder in the transfer market. We've already discussed transfer targets and hopefully they'll come off in the summer."

advertisement

Centre-half Titus Bramble, whose contract expires this summer, is expected to be ushered out in the defensive tinkering.

"It was always going to be a tough season - and that was before a ball was kicked in anger," Shepherd said. "Losing a legend like Alan Shearer left an almighty hole because he's been such a massive figure at Newcastle for 10 years. Then our record signing's ruled out for the season while playing for England at the World Cup. Of course, Alan's retirement was something we were prepared for, but to lose Michael Owen as well was a cruel blow.

"Of course, we're desperate for success but not too many clubs would have coped with the problems we've had."

Midfielder Kieron Dyer, whose appeal for Roeder to sign Jonathan Woodgate will prove futile, said that the team had "let ourselves and everyone associated with the club down" in Alkmaar.

"It's like Groundhog Day and it always seems to happen to us, and now it is another season with nothing to play for," Dyer said. "What makes it a lot worse is that we lost to a set-piece. This has been our achilles heel all season, and we just cannot get it right."

3rd transfer window lucky eh?

I'd sack Roeder just for dismissing Woodgate out of the equation.

:lol:

Woodgate should be the first player we attempt to sign in summer.

Can't wait to hear Leazes(I'm always right)mag's reaction to this news. We need strikers more than defenders do we?

Can't wait to hear Leazes(I'm always right)mag's reaction to this news. We need strikers more than defenders do we?

dont despair we will buy big next window

bramble or woodgate

butt or speed

luque or chopra

martins or kuyt

boumsong or hughes

dyer or jenas

nzogbia or bellamy

duff or robert

siberski or shearer

Yup, but it's if he'll come, which was certainly a part of the issue with the loan deal.

I don't think there's any doubt we NEED a good LB, at least 1 high quality CB...... but I'd still say we need at least 1 high quality attacking/playmaking midfielder and probably a forward that is good in the air and can hold the ball up.

I don't think there's any doubt we NEED a good LB, at least 1 high quality CB...... but I'd still say we need at least 1 high quality attacking/playmaking midfielder and probably a forward that is good in the air and can hold the ball up.

Whilst I am not naive and think we have the money to get them, we need a whole new back four.

:D

dont despair we will buy big next window

bramble or woodgate

butt or speed

luque or chopra

martins or kuyt

boumsong or hughes

dyer or jenas

nzogbia or bellamy

duff or robert

siberski or shearer

I havent got a clue what you're on about there? :lol:

Are you saying that all the above are bad signings? ie having Sib down as a replacement for Shearer? Butt is a revelation tbh and far preferrable to Speed, Dyer or Jenas?????

Are you saying that all the above are bad signings? ie having Sib down as a replacement for Shearer? Butt is a revelation tbh and far preferrable to Speed, Dyer or Jenas?????

Butt has been good but I don't think I would go as far to say a revelation..

Whilst I am not naive and think we have the money to get them, we need a whole new back four.

In all honesty, probably.

But I can't see that happening at the moment, and a decent CB that didn't make silly mistakes could probably bring out the best in some of our other ones.

So it's the difference between need and would like I guess.

8 months too late Fred and tbh I don't know whether I'd trust Roeder with the money, £6m on another Duff or use £2m of that to pay of Roeder and £4m to attract a better manager?

8 months too late Fred and tbh I don't know whether I'd trust Roeder with the money, £6m on another Duff or use £2m of that to pay of Roeder and £4m to attract a better manager?

10p should be enough to pay off Roeder.

<_<

Yup, but it's if he'll come, which was certainly a part of the issue with the loan deal.

As you have said I'm a "troll" ....... I will say what I have been saying all season, that I agree 100% with the bold bit especially. Don't know where the money will come from for all of that though, the forward players will [probably] cost more unless we get lucky.

As for Gol - and others - I hope you are reading the clubs "plans" ....... :lol::D

The fee on Martins doesn't count then ? Why not ?

The fee on Martins doesn't count then ? Why not ?

Clearly because he was worth his fee IMO, I didn't say all our signings were duds.