Never mind sack the board - sack the team!

acrossthepond

There is a lot of blame to be thrown around this season, and you place much of it on the shoulders of Fat Fred and the Board. But so much of it owes to the "big club" mentality that pervades our club and rots it from the inside, on and off the pitch.

These overpaid clowns have got to realize that nothing comes for free. All of them expect to be able to sit back on the pitch and win - against Charlton for example, and even Zulte-Waregem - because we are NEWCASTLE UNITED and we are too big to lose to the likes of Charlton. They don't work. They don't hustle. I don't know what goes on at the training ground, but they don't seem to do too much of that either since Taylor still can't tackle for his life.

Nothing convinced me of this more than watching our UEFA cup-tie - both rounds - against AZ Alkmaar. As we so often do, we came out to a roaring start and put 2 great goals past the stunned Dutch team, conceding a good goal from their side before going 4-1 up. Geordies worldwide were celebrating. I was sitting at my computer, watching an internet stream of the game, asking myself, "So how will we throw this one away?"

Lo and behold, it was Mr. Taylor's completely unnecessary challenge that produced a penalty for AZ to score from - the goal that would put them through. I could already feel a grand Newcastle Collapse (TM.) coming on. "4-2", wor lads were saying, "that's enough to go through on." The same old bollocks every year. The same old assumption that the better, bigger, etc. club will go through. The same old NUFC resting on their laurels, making millions of pounds, playing like shite.

And so it came to pass that we lost at AZ. I swear, I could hear the players' thoughts like on a megaphone. "We're 2 goals up," they said, "we'll just pass it around a bit for 90 minutes and go through, nae bother." After AZ scored - the same thing. "We're still 1 up," they said, "if we just don't let them score..." And they did of course, and the rest is history.

The history of NUFC, in fact, both ancient and recent. More than any other sin, we commit that of taking it for granted. We're still convinced that because 55000 Geordies show up to our matches, that we're a top six club. And so we score early goals and give up draws, lose matches we could win with a modicum of effort. The rot isn't just in our board. It's in our players. The exceptions only prove the rule - take Edgar's amazing strike at St. James's against Man U. Taking what was probably his first senior shot for NUFC, he drilled a goal to bring us a well-deserved draw. But I can't shake the feeling that he was only able to do it because he is so new - he "hadn't got the memo", so to speak. The memo that NUFC doesn't come from behind. We go behind and stay there, hoping for divine intervention - in the form of an angry God in black and white, drinking Newcastle broon, to smite our opponents and give us an empty net for our superstars to tap-in.

Solano. Parker. N'Zogbia. Given. Martins. Hang on to those five and chuck the rest of the undeserving who aren't fit to wear the black and white out on their overpaid arses.

(From an email I sent to Marc Duffy, who represents NUFC on soccernet.com. As always open to opinions.)

Interesting stuff although I can't say I totally agree with it. Against AZ they were told to play for a 0-0, so they did. There have also been two transfer windows for Roeder and the board to get rid of the shite and replace them with better players, which they've failed to do. Just a thought anyway.

I don't want to retain Parker as captain, but hang on to him, yes. I see a little more quality out of him than out of the rest of our superstars. As for Taylor, he doesn't have a clue. Deserved a red in the second leg, needless tackle in the first leg.

I don't want to retain Parker as captain, but hang on to him, yes. I see a little more quality out of him than out of the rest of our superstars. As for Taylor, he doesn't have a clue. Deserved a red in the second leg, needless tackle in the first leg.

I am a bit confused. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, Taylor merely stood up to his man who attempted to play the ball into the box thus hitting Taylor's hand = penalty.

Please believe me, I'm not trying to be clever but can someone confirm that is what happened and there was no daft tackle by Taylor ?? :lol::D

I am a bit confused. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, Taylor merely stood up to his man who attempted to play the ball into the box thus hitting Taylor's hand = penalty.

Please believe me, I'm not trying to be clever but can someone confirm that is what happened and there was no daft tackle by Taylor ?? :unsure::unsure:

You're correct.

Yup, the hips is right. Aye, Taylor wants his arse kicking for his sending off against Birmingham, but not for the penalty against AZ. Little he could do tbh.

I didn't see either Brum game, so he could well need a kick up the arse.

However, I feel we tend to forget Taylor is only 21 and will, therefore, be prone to making mistakes. I would hope he can come through all these mistakes and make a good CB in a couple of years time. I wonder how he would progress under the direction of a top class CB eg Woodgate or Campbell - perhaps we'll never know.

Yeah, you lot are definitely right about the Taylor thing. Sorry. I must've been thinking of another needless tackle from him - there are so bloody many. Problem with all our defenders really. Consider Onyewu's foul on Baines in the Wigan match.

Sack sack sack. Promote Huntington and Edgar to the first team and start looking for people with real fire in their bellies, who want to play for our club, not wankers like Bramble and Carr who are looking to get paid and go home.

Yeah, you lot are definitely right about the Taylor thing. Sorry. I must've been thinking of another needless tackle from him - there are so bloody many. Problem with all our defenders really. Consider Onyewu's foul on Baines in the Wigan match.

Sack sack sack. Promote Huntington and Edgar to the first team and start looking for people with real fire in their bellies, who want to play for our club, not wankers like Bramble and Carr who are looking to get paid and go home.

I bet you 40 cents, atp, that Bramble will be no longer at NUFC come the summer.

I bet you 40 cents, atp, that Bramble will be no longer at NUFC come the summer.

Any reason it's 40 cents specifically?

Any reason it's 40 cents specifically?

:unsure: No. My bets are never more than 40 British pence but in your case I changed it to cents, that's all! :unsure: