Worst Statue Ever?

Hatful Of Hollow

Saw this on N-O, had to share.

Just seen this on another forum. A statue to long time club servant Ted Bates was unveiled on Saturday night.

"Unfortunately It's turned out like a carton character with the proportions of a person you'd expect to see Postman Pat delivering to. The arms are longer than the legs, the hand is bigger than the football, the head's too big for the body, and to cap it all it looks nothing like Bates - but does look like Milan Mandaric..."

tedwebday.jpg

13br6.jpg

Here is the thread on the saints forum.

http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/viewtopic....c&start=800

A few ideas what it actually looks like.

2007031900220922.jpg

LittleChefLogo.png

contenido_tatoo.jpg

herve.jpg

cgl01.jpg

wg-in1.gif

TA-DF-02964_273x400.jpg

:unsure:

That is shit like. I have to say, I for one am against Shearer having a statue at the club at this moment in time. I suppose the only good thing to come from it is that Jackie Milburn's statue will be put back at SJP finally.

They paid the sculptor £112k for it apparently. :unsure: It's shocking, but I can't believe they've actually set it up and unveiled it. I would have taken one look at it and told the sculptor to get back to the drawing board. Looks like the manager of The Shire United FC.

They paid the sculptor £112k for it apparently. :unsure: It's shocking, but I can't believe they've actually set it up and unveiled it. I would have taken one look at it and told the sculptor to get back to the drawing board. Looks like the manager of The Shire United FC.

Heh, aye it'd make a good hobbit statue.

But yeah I can't believe anyone actually accepted that and paid that much for it, even if they paid in advance I'd be trying to sue the artist for taking the piss. :unsure:

Southampton are to pull down a statue of legendary former player, manager and club president Ted Bates just three days after it was unveiled outside St Mary's.

The £112,000 bronze statue, financed by the Ted Bates Trust, was erected as a tribute to the man who served Southampton for 66 years before his death in 2003.

But it became the subject of derision from supporters who complained it looked nothing like its subject and was out of proportion with short legs and long arms.

Acting Southampton chairman Leon Crouch held talks with the Trust yesterday and revealed the statue, the work of sculptor and lifelong Saints fan Ian Bennett, would be removed with a view to being altered or completely re-worked.

"Ted Bates was - and in many ways still is - Southampton Football Club and we owe it to him to build a fitting statue," said Crouch.

"With hindsight some things could have been done differently, but this is not a time for recriminations. Let's just sit down and put things right. I'm a perfectionist and I want it to be just right. 'Mr Southampton' deserves that."

The statue was officially unveiled on Saturday evening in front of 450 guests and former players.

Legendary former Southampton manager Lawrie McMenemy, who succeeded Bates and led the club to FA Cup glory in 1976, revealed he was initially unaware of the level of discontent among fans.

McMenemy, now a director at St Mary's, said: "It wasn't a club project, it was done by a committee who had been working very hard for two years on it. I was at the unveiling on Saturday night but I couldn't really tell what people thought of it - it was very dark."