Chopra annoyed at not getting England call-up

Gemmill

Cardiff striker Michael Chopra admits it 'does his head in' to see David Nugent ahead of him in the England pecking order.

Preston's Nugent has been selected for England's Under 21 game against Italy but could be called up to the senior squad if there are any late withdrawals, after being placed on standby by Steve McClaren.

Chopra is the Championship's top scorer with 21 goals this term but has been overlooked for international duty since earning one Under 21 cap when he was at Newcastle.

And he concedes it is frustrating to see others in line to be picked before him.

"It does do my head in to see David Nugent called up like that for England, to be honest with you," Chopra told the Western Mail.

"He's a good player, but I don't think I'm getting a fair crack at the England setup.

"Nugent has been playing for the Under 21s and that makes it easier to make the step up.

"I wasn't ever really given a chance at that level to show what I could do. I had one match, I scored a goal and was never called up again.

"All I can do now is take things on the chin and do my best at Cardiff and see if I can get a chance for England in future."

www.skysports.com

:unsure:

He's correct though,he's been equal, if not better than Nugent this season.

He has had more assists and goals.

Shola had more goals than Rooney in the 2003-4 season despite only being 3rd choice striker. Should he have been called into the Euro 2004 squad ahead of Rooney. :unsure:

If Michael Chopra goes to bed and dreams of scoring for England, he should wake up blushing tbh. To actually go to the papers and say he thinks he's been hard done by not getting a call up though. Jesus Christ.

Cardiff striker Michael Chopra admits it 'does his head in' to see David Nugent ahead of him in the England pecking order.

Preston's Nugent has been selected for England's Under 21 game against Italy but could be called up to the senior squad if there are any late withdrawals, after being placed on standby by Steve McClaren.

Chopra is the Championship's top scorer with 21 goals this term but has been overlooked for international duty since earning one Under 21 cap when he was at Newcastle.

And he concedes it is frustrating to see others in line to be picked before him.

"It does do my head in to see David Nugent called up like that for England, to be honest with you," Chopra told the Western Mail.

"He's a good player, but I don't think I'm getting a fair crack at the England setup.

"Nugent has been playing for the Under 21s and that makes it easier to make the step up.

"I wasn't ever really given a chance at that level to show what I could do. I had one match, I scored a goal and was never called up again.

"All I can do now is take things on the chin and do my best at Cardiff and see if I can get a chance for England in future."

www.skysports.com

Hoiked straight from my post on NO? :unsure:

If Michael Chopra goes to bed and dreams of scoring for England, he should wake up blushing tbh. To actually go to the papers and say he thinks he's been hard done by not getting a call up though. Jesus Christ.

Nice paraphrasing of Harvey Keitel in 'Reservoir Dogs' :unsure:

Shola had more goals than Rooney in the 2003-4 season despite only being 3rd choice striker. Should he have been called into the Euro 2004 squad ahead of Rooney. :unsure:

I'm not saying he should be an England player what I am arguing is that he is having a better season then Nugent IMO.

Nice paraphrasing of Harvey Keitel in 'Reservoir Dogs' :unsure:

I'm not saying he should be an England player what I am arguing is that he is having a better season then Nugent IMO.

Not in his all-round play he isn't. His stats are nothing to do with how he's playing. Nugent will add far more to the team.

He ought to be ashamed of his missus on that wags boutique tbh

30_01_wags_boutique_547.jpg

Ive seen better looking lasses in crocs tbh!

CLS nightclub I'm guessing.

Named after the sandals?