Bass Players/Guitarists

Tom

Try playing an two hour set with a les paul, it's like carrying a sack of bricks. Jaguar or Jazzmaster, go the super fuzz big muff sound :unsure:

Mines not so bad for long sets as it has a 60's neck takes a ton off the weight, plus im fairly broad and healthy so its not that bad :unsure:

Tom my boy you're obviously not jumping around enough with it!

I had a brand new le paul that I treated with kid gloves. The sound was ok but it was just all wrong.

You couldn't jump around with it, it sounded to bright and at the time was worth more than the van I used to cart it to the gig in.

Eventually I went back to my 1968 beat up jaguar, that use to get thrown around the stage, strings ripped of it at the end of a set (don't ask me for an encore), beer tipped over it constantly and the thing sounded amazing, never letting me down. (Stupidity was at the time it was worth nothing, now, well now someone probably restored it and it would be worth a mint.)

Been playing guitar/bass since I was about 14. I've never cared about the quality of guitars to be honest. Used to play standard strats, and teles. Used to to use Hohner Bass's, and Mexican p-bass. To be honest, the average person in the audience didn't know how expensive they were. They probably wouldn't know the difference in sound quality.

Only fellow musicians would know the difference.

Agree and disagree. I played a 60s Vox tear drop at one stage and no matter what I tried I couldn't get a decent sound out of it, that being said I had a rickenbacker 330/12 that was the most beautiful guitar I ever owned and it was wasted on me. Took it to a gig once, left it on the stand on the side of the stage and was to scared to even think about playing it, chosing to continue with a 5 string jag instead :D

Marshall non-master plexi glass head and four speak box or a Vox AC15 - hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Try playing an two hour set with a les paul, it's like carrying a sack of bricks. Jaguar or Jazzmaster, go the super fuzz big muff sound :unsure:

Mines not so bad for long sets as it has a 60's neck takes a ton off the weight, plus im fairly broad and healthy so its not that bad :unsure:

Tom my boy you're obviously not jumping around enough with it!

I had a brand new le paul that I treated with kid gloves. The sound was ok but it was just all wrong.

You couldn't jump around with it, it sounded to bright and at the time was worth more than the van I used to cart it to the gig in.

Eventually I went back to my 1968 beat up jaguar, that use to get thrown around the stage, strings ripped of it at the end of a set (don't ask me for an encore), beer tipped over it constantly and the thing sounded amazing, never letting me down. (Stupidity was at the time it was worth nothing, now, well now someone probably restored it and it would be worth a mint.)

Yeh i can get some airtime with mine its just landing and not breaking the neck thats the hard part, All lands successful,

If my Sg was any good id gig that, i mean i used to roll around in my own living room beating the shit out of it, its took a kicking in its time!

I like to use my Telecaster nowadays (see avatar), decent mexi tele, good tone for solo's, nice neck, good airtime, looks cool, :D

I could fancy a Jaguar at some point like! :icon_lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Any recommendations on a guitar under the 200 quid mark?

It's been a fair few years since i last had one, so looking for something not too expensive to see if i can get past the level i was at before.

Any recommendations on a guitar under the 200 quid mark?

It's been a fair few years since i last had one, so looking for something not too expensive to see if i can get past the level i was at before.

If its electric then just look for a Yamaha Pacifica. Cant really go far wrong with them.

Much better build than Squires and far superior to the shite that Epiphone have churned out.

I would happily gig with a Pacifica tbh but wouldnt really touch much of the sub £200 guitars out there at present. Build quality on Gibsons and Epis is generally shite imo. I've owned dozens of guitars from various brands and Gibsons were comfortably the worst value.

See if some daft sod is trying to by a Duesenberg on ebay. I got a £1000 guitar off there for just over £200 cos the daft plank couldnt spell and nobody else had found it. Worth a try.

If its an acoustic then just trust your ears. Again, Yamaha FG series is fairly reliable but I wouldnt buy any Acoustic without hearing or playing it. Be careful if you intend plugging the acoustic in cos piezo pickups are generally v poor.

• 1 month later...

Thats nice.

Not bad for the cash either,

I think im after a Gibson ES355 as apposed to a Les Paul juniour now,

Il see how a summer of shit factory work gets me financially

Edited by T-Keith