*The official Solano returns? thread

paddy

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who thinks re-signing Nobby is pointless seeing as he's getting on a bit now?

Bowyer or Dyer can play on the right and they're younger so have more seasons ahead of them.

Having said that I'm picturing Owen and Shearer up front with a midfield of Luque, Emre, Parker and Solano and I can't help smiling.  :fuk:

23717[/snapback]

Hang on a sec,need to change underwear..

Seriously thought,if we finish below 8 with a team like that is really bad.

Solano was never a pacy player who could skin his full-back, his game always relied on excellent crosses and intelligent link-up play. For that reason, I don't think he'll age as quickly as most wingers do when they lose their legs. I think he probably has 2 years left at the top. His best ever season was probably last season with Villa, he was their top scorer from right midfield. While Luque and Owen are both a real coup, Shearer lives off crosses and we don't have anyone who can reliably put them in. Solano is one of the best in the business at that.

Solano and Dyer will give us different options on the right hand side and I'd be happy to see Milner go the other way for a season, he needs the games to develop.

But I haven't seen a mention of this anywhere on the net from a creditable source, is there really any substance in it?

Also, if we have suddenly targetted Solano, might this be an indication that the news on Dyer's hamstrings is not good?

Edited by ohmelads

" suddenly targetted Solano,"

nah souey has been after him all summer[forget, but think wason ssn]. uptill now villa have refused tolet anyone talk to him.

Not sure whats changed their minds.

Maybe o` leary thinks hes next inline as toon manager??

Solanos form has never wavered, his assists and goals just keep on coming, £1.5m is a snip.

24056[/snapback]

That's not entirely true now is it. If you recall the start of the 2001/02 season he was absolute dross and many were complaining about him.

That said, I'd still love to see him back! :fuk:

Solanos form has never wavered, his assists and goals just keep on coming, £1.5m is a snip.

24056[/snapback]

That's not entirely true now is it. If you recall the start of the 2001/02 season he was absolute dross and many were complaining about him.

24057[/snapback]

That was all down to SBR nothing more inspiring then knowing you're the first player to be subbed/blamed/benched.

24056[/snapback]

24057[/snapback]

I meant on arrival at Villa, he has continued to show he creates and scores goals.

One bad season I will allow him that.

Just remembering that winner against Leeds away. :razz::PB)

To be fair he did outpace Ian Harte :fuk:

I just remember the season where in the assists league both him and Robert were in the top 3. Crossing is his main attribute and he would only fit into a 4-4-2 really.

To be fair he did outpace Ian Harte :fuk:

I just remember the season where in the assists league both him and Robert were in the top 3.  Crossing is his main attribute and he would only fit into a 4-4-2 really.

24128[/snapback]

Well with Shearer & Owen both in the starting 11 that is the only shape that is going to work!

I think people have this romantic view of nobby and that his sale was the beginning of the fall. When he was sold I remember not being particularly bothered as he'd been poor for some time. He's done well in spurts for Villa but he hasnt been the top performer like he was for us at his peak. Saying all that I cant think of a better RM we could get for 1.5 Mill.

A wise man once told me though never go back to where you've been before as it can never be as good as the first time round.

Does anyone get the feeling that Solano didn't want to work with SBR much in the same way that Bellamy didn't want to work with Souness.

Slight double standards methinks.

I think people have this romantic view of nobby and that his sale was the beginning of the fall. When he was sold I remember not being particularly bothered as he'd been poor for some time. He's done well in spurts for Villa but he hasnt been the top performer like he was for us at his peak. Saying all that I cant think of a better RM we could get for 1.5 Mill.

A wise man once told me though never go back to where you've been before as it can never be as good as the first time round.

24148[/snapback]

Beardsley?

24148[/snapback]

Not as a right winger perhaps, but he'd be ace as a "Pitchside Translator" for Luque.

Really wouldn't mind him back - then get Olly Bernard in and recall Laurent Robert and Milner after a few months - two players for every position sorted!

" suddenly targetted Solano,"

nah souey has been after him all summer[forget, but think wason ssn].  uptill now villa have refused tolet anyone talk to him.

Not sure whats changed their minds.

Maybe o` leary thinks hes next inline as toon manager??

24033[/snapback]

Remember the slagging Souness got when he revealed on radio that he had tried to get Nobby back in January?

'Publicity stunt, blah blah blah'

There were two problems with selling Solano.

1) The price.

2) We got nobody to replace him.

I don't know if I'd have Nobby back or not to be honest.

24288[/snapback]

4-4-2 yes. Anything else I can't see where he would fit.