The Budget

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6474997.stm

Point-by-point: Budget

The key points from Chancellor Gordon Brown's eleventh Budget:

# Basic rate of income tax to fall from 22p to 20p from April next year.

# Beer will rise by 1p a pint from midnight Sunday, cider by 1p a litre, wine by 5p a bottle and sparkling wine by 7p. Duty on spirits will be frozen.

# Cigarettes to rise by 11p a packet. VAT on nicotine patches to be cut from 17.5% to 5%.

# Road tax on highest-polluting vehicles up to £400 from April next year.

# Fuel duty up 2p per litre, in line with inflation.

# Top-rate income tax threshold will rise to £43,000 from April 2009.

# Education spending in England will rise from £60bn this year to £74bn in 2010. From now to 2010 spending per pupil rise by a further 20 per cent, 10 per cent in real terms, to £6,600

# Corporation tax will be cut from 30p to 28p from April next year.

# Tax exemption for capital gains will rise from £8,800 to £9,200, and will be £18,400 for married couples.

# Inheritance tax will rise from £285,000 now to £350,000 in 2010.

# Child benefit, for a first child, will rise from £17.45 a week to £20 a week by 2010.

#

Tax-free allowance for pensioners under 75 will rise in three stages from £7,280 to £9,770 in 2011. For over-75s, the tax free allowance will rise annually from £7,420 to by £10,000 by 2011.

# Grants of £300 to £4,000 for pensioners installing insulation and central heating in their homes.

# Until 2012 all new zero carbon homes up to £500,000 will be exempt from stamp duty.

# 50,000 16 to 17-year-olds who sign activity and learning agreements will receive a training wage in return for gaining skills.

# All the 125,000 people who lost their pensions because of company insolvency will get help with a financial assistance scheme increased from £2bn to £8bn.

# Mr Brown said the British economy was growing faster than all the other G7 economies. Growth is stronger than the Euro area, Japan and America.

# Inflation will be on target in 2008 and 2009, according to forecasts.

# In the last year investment has grown by 6%, business investment by 7%, and inward investment by 10%. Business investment is forecast to rise again by more than 7% this year.

# In the last year employment has risen, with 220,000 more men and women in work.

# In 2008, Britain's growth will be the highest in the G7, between 2.5% and 3%.

# The landfill tax will, rise by £8 each year from April 2008.

# Britain's net borrowing, which in the early 1990s went as high as 8% of national income is this year just 2.7%. It will fall to 1.4% by 2012.

# Asset sales will rise from £18bn to £36bn, with the sale of spectrum, a £6bn sale of the student loan book, and further financial and corporate sales at home and overseas.

# Investment in schools, hospitals, security and defence and infrastructure will rise from £43bn this year to £60bn by 2012.

# Total government spending will rise to £674bn by 2010/11.

# An extra £400m to be allocated to the Ministry of Defence to cover overseas commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

# Investment in the NHS in England will rise by £8bn this year.

# Public investment in science will rise from £5bn this year to £6.3bn by 2010-11.

# Tax rate on small companies to be raised in three stages from 20p this year to 22p in 2009.

# £50m for a 10-country initiative across central Africa to prevent the destruction of the second largest rain forest in the world.

# £800m to the Environmental Transformation Fund, jointly run by the international development and environment secretaries.

1p a pint

Bastards :(

I can still remember walking into the rugby club with me mates and the price of a pint of Tetleys had gone up to 30p!!! <_<:angry::woosh:

Showin' me age :(:woosh:

30p?

I would'nt be here today <_<

1p a pint

Bastards <_<

I can still remember walking into the rugby club with me mates and the price of a pint of Tetleys had gone up to 30p!!! <_<:angry::woosh:

when was that?

I don't ever remember a pint going up 30p due to tax

maybe you actually had to BUY one for once???

1p a pint

Bastards <_<

when was that?

The clue's in the order of the words Rob.

20p in the pound.

Does anyone know what the rates are per income bracket? I haven't got a clue what I pay. <_<

For 2007/8 your personal tax allowance is £5225. You'll then get taxed 10% on the first 2,230 and 22% on any amount up to £34,600. Anything over that is charged at 40%.

1p a pint

Bastards :(

I can still remember walking into the rugby club with me mates and the price of a pint of Tetleys had gone up to 30p!!! :angry::woosh::woosh:

Showin' me age :(:(

when was that?

The clue's in the order of the words Rob.

I feel quite sprightly when Rob's around.

Stoopid auld fool <_<<_<<_<

20p in the pound.

Does anyone know what the rates are per income bracket? I haven't got a clue what I pay. <_<

For 2007/8 your personal tax allowance is £5225. You'll then get taxed 10% on the first 2,230 and 22% on any amount up to £34,600. Anything over that is charged at 40%.

The 2p drop however has a sting in the tail, the 10% bracket has disappeared so (for the purposes of the example we'll assume the allowances are the same it will be:

You'll get taxed 20% on any amount from £5,225 upto £34,600 and 40% on anything over that.

So if you earned 10k in 2007/08 you would pay 10% on £2,230 and 22% on £2,545 = £782.90

In 2008/09 it works out at £955!

So if you earn £10,000 per year you are fucked!

You basically need to earn around 19k to break even on what you are paying now, looks like Gordon is deciding to tax the poor and give the middle classes a helping hand.

20p in the pound.

The 2p drop however has a sting in the tail, the 10% bracket has disappeared so (for the purposes of the example we'll assume the allowances are the same it will be:

You'll get taxed 20% on any amount from £5,225 upto £34,600 and 40% on anything over that.

So if you earned 10k in 2007/08 you would pay 10% on £2,230 and 22% on £2,545 = £782.90

In 2008/09 it works out at £955!

So if you earn £10,000 per year you are fucked!

You basically need to earn around 19k to break even on what you are paying now, looks like Gordon is deciding to tax the poor and give the middle classes a helping hand.

Aye I worked it out yesterday for someone on £20k and I had them very slightly better off under the new system, but yep, for anyone on much less than £20k, Gordon's just pulled your pants down. It's hardly gonna encourage anyone to come off the dole either.

The higher rate thing is a con too cos he's clawing it all back on NI.

The little Scottish bastard eh!

source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6474997.stm

Point-by-point: Budget

The key points from Chancellor Gordon Brown's eleventh Budget:

# Basic rate of income tax to fall from 22p to 20p from April next year.

# Beer will rise by 1p a pint from midnight Sunday, cider by 1p a litre, wine by 5p a bottle and sparkling wine by 7p. Duty on spirits will be frozen.

# Cigarettes to rise by 11p a packet. VAT on nicotine patches to be cut from 17.5% to 5%.

# Road tax on highest-polluting vehicles up to £400 from April next year.

# Fuel duty up 2p per litre, in line with inflation.

# Top-rate income tax threshold will rise to £43,000 from April 2009.

# Education spending in England will rise from £60bn this year to £74bn in 2010. From now to 2010 spending per pupil rise by a further 20 per cent, 10 per cent in real terms, to £6,600

# Corporation tax will be cut from 30p to 28p from April next year.

# Tax exemption for capital gains will rise from £8,800 to £9,200, and will be £18,400 for married couples.

# Inheritance tax will rise from £285,000 now to £350,000 in 2010.

# Child benefit, for a first child, will rise from £17.45 a week to £20 a week by 2010.

#

Tax-free allowance for pensioners under 75 will rise in three stages from £7,280 to £9,770 in 2011. For over-75s, the tax free allowance will rise annually from £7,420 to by £10,000 by 2011.

# Grants of £300 to £4,000 for pensioners installing insulation and central heating in their homes.

# Until 2012 all new zero carbon homes up to £500,000 will be exempt from stamp duty.

# 50,000 16 to 17-year-olds who sign activity and learning agreements will receive a training wage in return for gaining skills.

# All the 125,000 people who lost their pensions because of company insolvency will get help with a financial assistance scheme increased from £2bn to £8bn.

# Mr Brown said the British economy was growing faster than all the other G7 economies. Growth is stronger than the Euro area, Japan and America.

# Inflation will be on target in 2008 and 2009, according to forecasts.

# In the last year investment has grown by 6%, business investment by 7%, and inward investment by 10%. Business investment is forecast to rise again by more than 7% this year.

# In the last year employment has risen, with 220,000 more men and women in work.

# In 2008, Britain's growth will be the highest in the G7, between 2.5% and 3%.

# The landfill tax will, rise by £8 each year from April 2008.

# Britain's net borrowing, which in the early 1990s went as high as 8% of national income is this year just 2.7%. It will fall to 1.4% by 2012.

# Asset sales will rise from £18bn to £36bn, with the sale of spectrum, a £6bn sale of the student loan book, and further financial and corporate sales at home and overseas.

# Investment in schools, hospitals, security and defence and infrastructure will rise from £43bn this year to £60bn by 2012.

# Total government spending will rise to £674bn by 2010/11.

# An extra £400m to be allocated to the Ministry of Defence to cover overseas commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

# Investment in the NHS in England will rise by £8bn this year.

# Public investment in science will rise from £5bn this year to £6.3bn by 2010-11.

# Tax rate on small companies to be raised in three stages from 20p this year to 22p in 2009.

# £50m for a 10-country initiative across central Africa to prevent the destruction of the second largest rain forest in the world.

# £800m to the Environmental Transformation Fund, jointly run by the international development and environment secretaries.

Anyone know more about this? I'm useless with this type of thing, what cars are they calling 'higher polluting' Over what size engine? Does the year of the car come into it too?

Edited by Toonraider

It is a fuck of a budget. Labour finally come out as no longer the party of the poor people. Wankers. I will not be voting for them next few elections on this. With luck they will suffer at the Scottish elections in May. They won't get in next term. Need to bring the STV into elections. Stop this majority crap.

You've just noticed Labour aren't the party of the poor people anymore? How do you think they got elected and then stayed in power so long?

Thing is, the main parties are too similar to each other, I end up not voting at all.

Aye, plus while I'm sick of Labour I can't bring myself to vote for the Tories. Ever.

Thing is, the main parties are too similar to each other, I end up not voting at all.

Aye, plus while I'm sick of Labour I can't bring myself to vote for the Tories. Ever.

Agree exactly!