Ashton season confirmed over

West Ham striker Dean Ashton will not play again this season after undergoing further minor surgery on his ankle.

The marksman broke his ankle during an England training session last August and went under the knife on Monday to remove an area of scar tissue that had formed as a result of the initial injury.

There was hope Ashton would play again this campaign but a series of setbacks culminating in the latest operation have put paid to such optimism.

"It will be six weeks before he is back running, and we felt that the timing was right, in order for Dean to make a fresh start with the rest of his team-mates when the squad returns for pre-season training in the summer," head physiotherapist Steve Allen told West Ham's official website.

"We look forward to seeing him back to full fitness then."

Probably means he won't be moving in the summer, or if he does Wist 'Am might not get as much for him as they hoped.

I'd take both of them tbh, with the proviso we don't pay over the odds for them and pay them a fortune in wages. Which probably rules out a move to the Toon.

Ashton is a quality player. I think some people are blinkered by long term injuries because of what we've seen in recent years, particularly with Dyer, Woodgate & Owen.

I don't suppose we should ever have signed Shearer either seeing as he was majorly crocked when he was at Blackburn..? <_<

Ashton is a quality player. I think some people are blinkered by long term injuries because of what we've seen in recent years, particularly with Dyer, Woodgate & Owen.

I don't suppose we should ever have signed Shearer either seeing as he was majorly crocked when he was at Blackburn..? <_<

All I mean to say is that he's only scored a total of 23 goals for both Norwich and West Ham. He might go on to score shedloads more, he might not.

In the three seasons at Blackburn before we signed him, Shearer scored at least 30 goals in each. It's not exactly the same is it?

tbh Luke, my reply was aimed at Sima's negativity. I think your points are valid but the "we shouldn't sign him because he has a long term injury" line simply shouldn't wash and that's why I made the reference to Shearer.... <_<

tbh Luke, my reply was aimed at Sima's negativity. I think your points are valid but the "we shouldn't sign him because he has a long term injury" line simply shouldn't wash and that's why I made the reference to Shearer.... <_<

We didn't sign Shearer off the back of a bad injury though did we?

He was back to his usual high standard before we spent any money on him, Ashton needs to do the same before the club go anywhere near him IMO.

I was thinking about it today - which players would you take from the clubs that look like they will be relegated?

Ashton, Neill, Upson and Young are the ones that came to my mind.

Lucas Neill? Not another defender in their late 20's on big wages.

Which ones do we have at the minute that fit into that category like?

Carr.

The problem with players like this is we sign them up on big contracts, only to find out a year down the line that they're past their best and because they are on big wages we're stuck with them.

Justin Hoyte would be a better option from Arsenal.

Carr.

The problem with players like this is we sign them up on big contracts, only to find out a year down the line that they're past their best and because they are on big wages we're stuck with them.

Babayaro falls into the same category.

I think you may be completely right about Neill, he's the sort of player that we seem to attract - big wages, no ambition.

Carr.

Babayaro falls into the same category.

I think you may be completely right about Neill, he's the sort of player that we seem to attract - big wages, no ambition.

Aye, went to West Ham instead of Liverpool clearly for the wages on offer, not the sort of player we need here.

Carr.

Hes 30 <_<

Zigic would probably cost the same as Ashton. Which would be the better option?

Edit: He would probably cost a bit less actually.

Ashton is better all round player than Zigic, however Zigic being just short of 7ft would fit right in with Roeder's long ball tactics.

If Roeder is still here in the summer he'll be after Crouch IMO.

Zigic would probably cost the same as Ashton. Which would be the better option?

Edit: He would probably cost a bit less actually.

Ashton is better all round player than Zigic, however Zigic being just short of 7ft would fit right in with Roeder's long ball tactics.

If Roeder is still here in the summer he'll be after Crouch IMO.

And Ferdinand <_<

I was thinking about it today - which players would you take from the clubs that look like they will be relegated?

Ashton, Neill, Upson and Young are the ones that came to my mind.

Sheffield United

Phil Jagielka

(Robert Hulse)

Charlton

Luke Young

Darren Bent

West Ham

Matthew Upson

(Nigel Reo-Coker)

Yossi Benayoun

Carlos Tevez

(Dean Ashton)

Watford

(Marlon King)

( ) = Not sure

tbh Luke, my reply was aimed at Sima's negativity. I think your points are valid but the "we shouldn't sign him because he has a long term injury" line simply shouldn't wash and that's why I made the reference to Shearer.... :angry:

Comparing Alan Shearer and Dean Ashton ffs <_<

ashton is a decent player in all honesty, hes not going to score 30 goals but no-one is really. would be great to have alongside owen and oba.

hes got decent control and a good eye for a through ball