No deals yet for St James's four

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United have responded to the club's dismal demise in the Uefa Cup by halting new contract talks as they reassess their plans for next season.

The Magpies had been in discussion with Titus Bramble, James Milner, Antoine Sibierski and Nolberto Solano about deal extensions, but have decided to postpone talks following the catastrophic defeat in Alkmaar.

Bramble, Sibierski and Solano are all out of contract in the summer and, in theory, can discuss terms with other clubs under the Bosman ruling.

But the trio are keen to remain at St James's Park next season and have waited for three months to hear if they are going to be offered new deals.

However, United chairman Freddie Shepherd has decided to discuss each player's individual circumstances again with manager Glenn Roeder before making a final decision on their futures.

The Journal understands that Roeder is keen to see any extensions limited to two years as he feels players perform better on short-term contracts as they know they cannot slip into the comfort zone and allow standards to slip on the pitch.

The biggest question mark hangs over Bramble's future as Roeder was far from complimentary about the defender's performance against Alkmaar last week and appears to have made him the scapegoat for a woeful team display in Holland.

Roeder has always insisted that the 25-year-old would still be at Newcastle next season and had urged Shepherd to award him a new contract.

But talks have been slow to materialise and it remains to be seen whether Roeder feels the same way about the player following his less-than-veiled criticism last week.

Bramble, who was dropped to the bench for the miserable 2-0 defeat at Charlton which followed the Magpies' European exit, continues to split opinion among the club's supporters with some arguing the powerful defender just needs a settled partner alongside him to find consistency and others insisting the former Ipswich prospect has suffered too many concentration lapses to be given another chance.

Portsmouth and Celtic have been keeping a close eye on Bramble's situation and it will be an interesting few weeks as the player will have to make a decision on whether to wait for United to offer him a new deal or enter into negotiations with another club.

A meeting between Shepherd and Bramble's advisers had been scheduled for Monday this week, but it failed to take place.

Sibierski is another player Roeder has always maintained he wanted to keep, but talks have also stalled, while Solano has still not discovered if the club will take up the option of another year.

Sibierski's advisers are believed to have wanted a two-year contract for their client but Newcastle have offered only a 12-month deal to the 32-year-old.

Solano, who, until the defeats by AZ and Charlton, had been a revelation at right-back, is also expected to accept a one-year extension when it is offered.

Talks with Milner, who is represented by the Professional Footballers' Association, have been going on since the start of the year but have still not been finalised. Milner, though, has indicated he wants to stay at the club after finally becoming a first-team regular.

Shepherd and Roeder must also make a decision on Oguchi Onyewu and Craig Moore in the coming weeks. Onyewu has only signed on loan from Standard Liege until the end of the season, while Moore, who has just returned from a long-term hamstring injury, is also out of contract in the summer.

Shelving deals for players on the back of one result? "Planning" <_<

"You know what, Freddy? I all of a sudden don't think some of these players are good enough."

:angry:

If this is true, the fact people like Bramble shouldn't be getting a new deal anyway isn't even the point.

Shelving deals for players on the back of one result? "Planning" <_<

"You know what, Freddy? I all of a sudden don't think some of these players are good enough."

:angry:

If this is true, the fact people like Bramble shouldn't be getting a new deal anyway isn't even the point.

Don't worry Keane will make noises about signing him for the makems on a bosman and watch him suddenly join the rest of our wasters on a 5 year 80k/week deal!

Why is there even a debate about renewing solano's contract?

Or Milner for that matter?

Aye, Milner didn't even play in Alkmaar thanks to Glenn's clueless team selection policy. They should be busting a gut to show him some appreciation after the way he was treated last summer, and the way he's gone about his job this season as if all that had never happened.

Like anyone expected us to win the UEFA cup. :angry:

I reckon things are going to get worse before they they get better. The club's in a right mess. Strangely, the only one who probably disagrees, LeazesMag, has been nowhere to be seen for a few days. Wonder why? <_<

I don't see the problem...finally they seem to be waking up to the idea that long term contracts on stupid money are only worthwhile if the player is actually any good. WOOT!

I don't have a problem with them not offering Bramble a contract. I'm slightly perturbed by the fact that as recently as a month ago he was all set to get one at Roeder's behest though.

I don't see the problem...finally they seem to be waking up to the idea that long term contracts on stupid money are only worthwhile if the player is actually any good. WOOT!

You don't see the problem in halting contract negotiations on the back of one match?

I don't have a problem with them not offering Bramble a contract. I'm slightly perturbed by the fact that as recently as a month ago he was all set to get one at Roeder's behest though.

I think Roeder (like everyone) wanted to think that with encouragement, Bramble might become the player he ought to be. The UEFA cup exit made him realise it's never going to happen.

You don't see the problem in halting contract negotiations on the back of one match?

It was a pretty big match though... <_<

I think Roeder (like everyone) wanted to think that with encouragement, Bramble might become the player he ought to be. The UEFA cup exit made him realise it's never going to happen.

It was a pretty big match though... <_<

So? Like Renton says, it's not we were realistically going to win the thing with this season's squad.

I would add though that Roeder made a huge mistake psychologically before the game saying we didn't have to score... <_< I can't defend that... :angry:

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

I would add though that Roeder made a huge mistake psychologically before the game saying we didn't have to score... :angry: I can't defend that... :woosh:

Technically, he was right <_< but I totally agree. Our best chance was always going to be by having a pop at them. That's what pissed me off - the manner of the defeat (and the 'tactics'). We only started playing when we were already 2-0 down.

It was a pretty big match though... :angry:

So? Like Renton says, it's not we were realistically going to win the thing with this season's squad.

Not the cup, I agree, but the tie was there for the taking.

<_<

I would add though that Roeder made a huge mistake psychologically before the game saying we didn't have to score... :woosh: I can't defend that... :woosh:

Technically, he was right :angry: but I totally agree. Our best chance was always going to be by having a pop at them. That's what pissed me off - the manner of the defeat (and the 'tactics'). We only started playing when we were already 2-0 down.

Yep..on a good day I can always see us getting a couple of goals...but sitting back and calmly soaking up pressure for 90 minutes... I ask you. <_<

Well it's just as well we didn't do what Roeder said a month or so ago and tie up player contracts sharpish to avoid it affecting their game. Because if we had, Bramble would already be sat on a nice new contract and Roeder would have effectively re-signed a player that he now doesn't think is good enough. <_<

It was a pretty big match though... :woosh:

Not the cup, I agree, but the tie was there for the taking.

<_<

It was, but you shouldn't be deciding whether or not players get new contracts as a reaction to it. Mind, if it means Bramble is shown the door, it's probably a good thing :angry:

Seriously, anyone who thinks they can make Bramble a good Premiership defender in the long run is deluding themselves. We've all seen the evidence ourselves. He'd need a brain transplant for a start.

Maybe Portly Freddie has smelled (is there such a word as smelt?) the coffee and has stopped all negotiations to take stock.

Shepherd might have asked Rodders if he thinks we can climb the league to qualify for next year's intertwobob and, just like Ardiles did all those years ago, he just shrugged his shoulders in resoponse. If so, all contract payments will have to be re-thought due to finances coming into the club. Yes, we have the big SKY money, but that can't be all spent on player's wages can it ??

Just a thought.