HuntingToon

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United's young defender Paul Huntington is to sign a new contract which will tie him to St James' Park until 2010.

The 19-year-old defender's agent former United striker Imre Varadi was on Tyneside to tie up the deal today and it will all be signed and sealed in the next 48 hours.

And at a time when there is so much uncertainty about the United futures of fellow central defenders Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu this is a tremendous vote of confidence for the teenager from Cumbria.

Especially as it comes exactly a week since Huntington was given the runaround by Alkmaar right-winger Julian Jenner in last Thursday night's UEFA Cup defeat in Holland.

But what must be said about Huntington, as indeed also in the cases of Nobby Solano, Damian Duff, Steven Taylor, David Edgar, and Peter Ramage, is that they have all filled in at full-back, which is not their position.

And that is because of the amount of time experienced full-backs Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro have spent on the treatment table this season.

Glenn Roeder watched Huntington in last night's reserve game with Sheffield United at Kingston Park playing in his preferred central defensive role.

And the United boss told me today: "You could see young Hunty has been playing in our first team because he was a class above any other player on the field last night.

"Going back he was one of my Academy boys when I first took over and while some people may not have been sure about him I took a shine to him straightaway.

"At the start of the season I had him pencilled in to blood him in a couple of games, but because of our injury crisis he is in double figures.

"He has had a longer run in the first team than even he expected and he has not let anyone down. Yes he found it hard in Holland last Thursday night but it is tough in Europe and that boy Jenner is a very very good young winger indeed.

"And let's not forget that Huntington was playing at left-back which, if the truth was known, is his least favoured position. But, like the rest of the players we have had to ask to stand in a full-back, he has never complained.

"When he was given a chance to play in his best position of centre- half against West Ham at St James' Park at end of January he did very well alongside David Edgar when he came on as substitute.

"He has a lot of qualities. He is 6ft 4ins but needs to improve on his heading. He has pace and is decent enough on the ball and wants to learn - and as a coach I have to say he is easy to work with.

"And while he is nowhere near the finished article, I expect him to be challenging our two central defenders next season - whoever they are."

This last statement from Roeder is significant and, speaking personally, I will be surprised if Bramble, Moore or Onyewu are still at St James' Park at the start of next season.

My view that Newcastle United will never win anything while Bramble is in their team caused a big breach with Sir Bobby Robson, which has never been healed, but it is something I stand by.

The last paragraph man <_< Is it just me or is that the first time he's came out with that? (I'm guessing it's Oliver saying that).

The last paragraph man <_< Is it just me or is that the first time he's came out with that? (I'm guessing it's Oliver saying that).

I think it is a reference to a paragraph in SBR's biography where Robson slates Anal Oliver for his unfair criticism of Bramble.

I think it is a reference to a paragraph in SBR's biography where Robson slates Anal Oliver for his unfair criticism of Bramble.

Ah right. It seems a bit 'I told you so' tbh. Funny how he never brought this up when the club were considering giving Titus a new contract.

Ah right. It seems a bit 'I told you so' tbh. Funny how he never brought this up when the club were considering giving Titus a new contract.

As much as I remember that part of Robson's criticism is that Oliver could bring up old quotes or point to blunders ages ago whenever Bramble made a mistake but being totally quiet for months when Bramble was doing well.

As much as I remember that part of Robson's criticism is that Oliver could bring up old quotes or point to blunders ages ago whenever Bramble made a mistake but being totally quiet for months when Bramble was doing well.

Two problems I've got with that. Oliver being intelligent enough to keep a record of Bramble's blunders, and there's no way Bramble went months without making a bad error.

Probably some tea boy at Thompson House putting Oliver's scribblings in order when he staggered in from the Blackie Boy three sheets to the wind.

Woh..the one time Anal actually questions one of his bum chums and he's dragging it up to let us know he really is the voice of the fans.

I'd like to see Hutington at centre half, because I think he's piss poor at full back. Not his fault though, but I'm worried he's going to be another one of our alleged talented centre halfs who gets hoyed in at full back and watches his game dissapear down the shitter. See Exhibit A, Ramage P.

And the United boss told me today: "You could see young Hunty has been playing in our first team because he was a class above any other player on the field last night.

From .com's match report

However, we failed to build on that advantage and were punished eight minutes before the break, Jacob Mellis taking advantage of Paul Huntington's error to drive the ball home.

edgar, ramage, taylor and huntington are 4 of the best yound defenders in the league. Or were before we tried to break them.

No, they never were. Nothing to do with our ability to bring them through. Just not good enough, any of them.

Clearly talking him up for when we get shot of Bramble, Carr, Babayaro and Moore only to realise season tickets aren't selling and waste all our money on a trophy signing leaving us with a back four next season of Nobby, Taylor, Ramage and Huntington...

Never seen him train or play fro the Stiffs so i can't judge him on his potential. However i haven't seen anything from him in th 1st team to remotely suggest he's upto it.

I do ask myself how good John Terry would look at LB before i criticise Huntington in that position.

Two problems I've got with that. Oliver being intelligent enough to keep a record of Bramble's blunders, and there's no way Bramble went months without making a bad error.

Probably some tea boy at Thompson House putting Oliver's scribblings in order when he staggered in from the Blackie Boy three sheets to the wind.

"Alan Oliver was very unkind to Titus. He would write an article in March and bring up a mistake he had made last September."

:angry:

edgar, ramage, taylor and huntington are 4 of the best yound defenders in the league. Or were before we tried to break them.

No, they never were. Nothing to do with our ability to bring them through. Just not good enough, any of them.

And I'm sure you've seen plenty of them aye? <_<

How much have you actually seen of Edgar and Hunts? 5 games for Edgar, double that for Hunts?

At such a young age, you'd think the learning curve, especially for a defender, would take longer than that.

I've seen enough over the last two years, to show me they are very capable, no matter how many people will write them off, in their first few games.

With the exception of Ramage, I think they have potential. With a ball-playing centreback as manager and a no-nonsense centrehalf as assistant manager you'd hope they can develop.

What utter fucking tosh.

Possibly Edgar aside, they're all garbage.