Mission to keep Michael

Scottish Mag

Michael Owen is set to return from a career-threatening knee injury with a determination to finally repay Newcastle United's record £17m investment.

But Magpies manager Glenn Roeder has warned the club must match Owen's ambition in the transfer market if they are going to hold on to one of the most revered goalscorers in European football.

Owen is still on course to make his eagerly-awaited comeback from the terrible knee injury he picked up in last summer's World Cup before the end of the season.

But even before he has kicked a ball again in a Newcastle shirt, there is already speculation that the 27-year-old could leave the club in the summer if United have not qualified for a European competition.

"If there is no European football next season, there will be the year after," vowed Roeder, who will be keeping an eye on Portugal against Belgium, as well as Holland versus Romania tonight as he checks up on potential summer transfer targets.

"I speak to Michael every day, I have a very good rapport with him, a very good relationship. I knew him at 18 when I was an England coach. I got on well with him then and I get on really well now.

"I would be shocked if, when Michael Owen is fully fit, he was not playing his football here at Newcastle. I would be shocked if he is not here next year. There is no reason why he should not be playing here next year."

Nevertheless, as Roeder was forced to defend his record as Newcastle manager yesterday, he also warned that Owen needed to believe the club was capable of challenging for honours.

Roeder is hoping to sign at least four players when the transfer window opens in June, having failed to correct the squad's deficiencies in his first full season in charge.

And while his success in the market will determine his future as manager, he feels it will also play a big part in shaping Owen's plans. Despite playing just 11 games for the Magpies since his £17m move from Real Madrid, Owen will be able to negotiate a Bosman-style free transfer in just over 18 months. Roeder added: "Like a lot of senior players, the big hitters - we have some big hitters, even though we have not got a team of them - Michael will be looking to see what I bring in as the big hitters want to be in a winning team.

"Michael wants to be in a winning team, so too does Scott Parker. Shay Given wants to be in a winning team. He has just signed a five-year contract. Shay has shown immense loyalty to this club, I think we need to return that loyalty by the quality of the players I am allowed to bring to this football club.

"Ultimately you will be judged on what you bring in when people can say, `Glenn, that is your squad'. You cannot say that at the moment. Three signings is not my squad. If we can get another four or more, then half the squad will be mine."

He won't quit this summer as it would affect his ever so clean image.

No, but if he holds out for a couple of years he can go on a Bosman, and he'll have the perfect excuse if we're not in Europe still. He probably would have played less than 50 games for us. That's value for money. :lol:

No, but if he holds out for a couple of years he can go on a Bosman, and he'll have the perfect excuse if we're not in Europe still. He probably would have played less than 50 games for us. That's value for money. :lol:

...so you were gutted when we bought him? :unsure:

To be fair I don't think he said that, did he?

...so you were gutted when we bought him? :D

To be fair I don't think he said that, did he?

Well, it was me being a bit argumentative tbh. :unsure:

It isn't great value obviously, but the implication is that it's another fuck up by the club.

I was gutted that we ever got to the stage where we had to spend a fortune on an injury prone player who clearly didn't really want to come here. I had concerns, yes, as did many others. I accept that his injury last year was pure bad luck and unforseeable, but it was certainly a case of putting nearly all your eggs in one basket, which was promptly dropped.

If he does leave on a massively reduced fee in the near future then the decision to sign him will have been disastrous. How much of this is down to hindsight is a moot point though.

7 goals in 10 games.

Still better than the return we've had on boumsong, marcelhino,viana,luque....there's about 32 mill for a start that might has well have been flushed.

That's alright then.

7 goals in 11 games btw.