Glenn back on transfer trail

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder jetted to Lisbon today as the Newcastle United manager stepped up his search for new blood for next season.

The United boss took in Portugal's Euro qualifier with Belgium at Sporting Lisbon's Stadio Jose Alvalade, scene of his predecessor's Graeme Souness's UEFA Cup exit in 2005.

Indeed, Roeder, his scouts David Mills and Paul Montgomery and coaches Terry McDermott and Lee Clark are all out this weekend with one aim - to find United some quality defenders.

As revealed in The Chronicle on March 3, United have an interest in Reading midfielder Steve Sidwell, especially as Emre's future at St James' Park is unclear.

But this apart, when United move into the transfer market in the close season, the players who will be coming through the St James' Park door will mostly be defenders.

Indeed, Roeder said today: "I am not looking for any nice guys."

And the message is clear that United are looking for players who will come in and bring to an end results like the recent away trips to Fulham, Wigan and Charlton.

"If I get the right players you will see the results on the pitch next year," said Roeder.

"The chairman is aware of the players I am looking at and hasn't said `you shouldn't be looking at that quality'.

"I'd assume that the sort of money we would need to acquire players will be made available."

While last Sunday's defeat at Charlton Athletic was a bad one, it finally convinced the United hierarchy that certain players are just not good enough and some do not have big enough hearts to wear the black-and-white shirt.

I would be surprised if the likes of Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Oguchi Onyewu are around next season, while Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro can feel grateful that they are still contracted for next season.

Roeder has already decided to get tough with United in pre-season and turned down glamour friendlies all over the world.

Instead the United players can look forward to heading out to Austria on July 9 for a five-day training camp.

They will then have a couple of attractive friendlies at St James' Park on July 26 and 29 before taking part in a prestigious European tournament in August.

...and another one :lol:

"Roeder has already decided to get tough with United in pre-season and turned down glamour friendlies all over the world."

translated:

"We phoned clubs from all over the world trying to get a friendly, but they were all double-booked, otherwise engaged, busy that night or washing their hair"

...and another one :lol:

"Roeder has already decided to get tough with United in pre-season and turned down glamour friendlies all over the world."

translated:

"We phoned clubs from all over the world trying to get a friendly, but they were all double-booked, otherwise engaged, busy that night or washing their hair"

That is actually true to a degree, we have turned down the Peace Cup which we would make a minimum £1Million from just for turning up and more if we were to win it.

Miguel

I'm sure he'd leave Valencia for us...

Same thing was said about Michael Owen...

Except Michael Owen wasn't wanted by Real Madrid as they had just purchased Baptista and Robinho.

Miguel on the other hand is Valencia's first choice right back.

I think it's more likely that Terry Mac has spotted Vanden Borre as a player with potential from playing football manager and Glen went out to have a look at the lad. :lol:

Aye and Kompany too, I bet they were well impressed with them as Portugal slapped 4 past them.

Guest Patrokles

I think it's more likely that Terry Mac has spotted Vanden Borre as a player with potential from playing football manager and Glen went out to have a look at the lad. :lol:

To be fair, it's what N-Oers do.

Of course, Roeder himself pointed out that the real world isn't a computer game.

Guest Patrokles

Maybe he is going to have another look at Dirk Kuyt?

The only surprise is that it took over 10 posts in a Roeder transfer thread before someone said that.

Toon join Rat raceMar 25 2007

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle are eyeing boys from Brazil - and hunting a Rat - as they draw up their summer spending plans.

United boss Glenn Roeder has revealed the Magpies scouted players from SIX countries on international duty yesterday.

And Brazil were among them.

While Roeder watched Portugal play Belgium, Newcastle were also watching would-be buys in action for Holland, Romania, Chile and Brazil.

And Romanian left-back Razvan Rat has emerged as a potential United target.

Roeder went to Lisbon after telling the Sunday Sun that he has an interest in players on both sides.

But he also revealed: "We're also out to see Holland and Romania. There are targets in those two teams.

"And (chief scout) David Mills is off to see Brazil and Chile. There are one or two targets in those two teams."

Roeder took in the Portugal game having already had midfielder Joao Moutinho, wingers Nani and Simao and defender Marco Caneira watched in Sporting Lisbon's defeat of Porto last Saturday.

Newcastle scouts have been busy in Portugal for weeks, watching Benfica's right-back Nelson and their Brazilian centre-back Luisao several times.

United's interest in the Holland side was focused on left-back Urby Emanuelson and strikers Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Ryan Babel - all confirmed Roeder targets.

But 25-year-old Rat, currently with Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk, would be a cheaper left-back option.

Edited by Baggio

Guest Patrokles

Simao :lol:

OK Glenn, good luck with that one.

Especially since he doesn't play for either Lisbon or Porto, suggesting that the journalist is to blame here.

Guest Patrokles

Luisao might be a credible link, since he's the only Brazilian I can really think of who we might realistically be in for, considering he also plays in Portugal.

Luisao might be a credible link, since he's the only Brazilian I can really think of who we might realistically be in for, considering he also plays in Portugal.

He'll be at least £6-8m as well.

Benfica duo Luisao and Nelson are reportedly on Newcastle United's summer shopping list.

Glenn Roeder is determined to transform The Magpies into a team capable of challenging for honours and has outlined the need to strengthen his squad.

He took in Portugal's game with Belgium on Saturday, while other members of staff watched several other Euro 2008 qualifiers over the weekend.

Reports have suggested that Luisao and Nelson, who were not involved in internationals at the weekend, are on Newcastle's radar.

Kenny Shepherd, son of Magpies chairman Freddy, confirmed the pair are on the shopping list, but played down talk the defenders are prime targets of Roeder.

"They are two of many names, but at the moment there is nothing concrete," Shepherd told Portuguese daily O Jogo.

"At the end of the season, we will see."

Luisao is a powerful centre-half, who is a Brazil international, while Nelson is capable of playing in either full-back position.

Nelson scored a stunning goal at Old Trafford earlier in the season as Benfica lost 3-1 to Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.

Defence is an area Roeder is looking to strengthen in the summer and he is confident of having the funds available to inject extra quality into his squad.

Ken Shepherd?! Since when has he ever spoken?

I can't wait to see

RAT

on the back of someones shirt. :lol:

Little Kenny has taken over doing the transfers from Freddie since last summer I believe, which coincides with us struggling to sign players. Being groomed to take over from Fred. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Ken Shepherd?! Since when has he ever spoken?

I can't wait to see

RAT

on the back of someones shirt. :lol:

Little Kenny has taken over doing the transfers from Freddie since last summer I believe, which coincides with us struggling to sign players. Being groomed to take over from Fred. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Christ has fallen off the bike :lol: