Hello lads (and ladies..)

flagpole corner

Hello there boys and girls. Well done on the Owen signing. Great clinch it is for you and although it pains me to see us play the situation so poorly fair play to Newcastle. Your guys laid the cards on the table and did what was required while we pussy footed around trying to play poker without the money. The way I've seen the whole saga is that we've had contact with Michael and SFX for a long time. His family and his friends (at the club, in the city) have been prompted he was coming back. Rafa wanted him. The club wanted him. Everyone in Liverpool knew he was on his way back. Sure everyone talks about the "friend of a friend" but Liverpool is a small city and things get around and it was nailed on. He had even accepted a pay cut to come back. He was on his way back but at some point in the game we've pussied about. Rafa was told he'd have money for Owen + a right winger (hopefully Solano now) and centre back. But when it's come time for us to make our move we havent got the money (partly due to your bid) and have to flog Cisse to make way for Owen which would have been madness. Owen was told to sit tight and even wait till January if we couldn't settle something in the 48 hours and call Real's bluff by not moving. Clearly he wasn't prepared to that and took the safe option of joining Newcastle as a 4th option. In the end I'm gutted but selling Cisse and buying owen for £16m would have been foolishness on our part. Shepherd has done the business for you lot but Rick Parry has a lot to answer for us as we enter the season with the possibility of a completely inexperienced strike force, no right winger and absolutely no cover for Sami and Carradona. Frightening it may be but we have the best manager in Europe and will cope I'm sure.

Anyway, you're getting a decent squad now. Boumsong, Given, Emre, Parker, Dyer, Shearer, Owen and Luque is very healthy but defence still needs a lot of work from what I've seen. But it's a new squad and will take time to blend & gel, I dont think expectations like a top 5 finish will do the club any good to be honest. Also interested to know where the club are financing all this money from too? Can't all be from the sale of Woodgate can it? Will the fans get off Souness' back? He's a legend for his playing career with us obviously and although he sold his soul as manger with us it surprised me to see the amount of stick he got before he even had 10 minutes in the job. This is his first full season in charge and where he should be judged. Although things went downhill at Blackburn he did win the league cup and get them to 6th, it was kind of inevitible that things would slide after Dunn and Duff were sold.

Anyway, good luck for the season (not too much though lol) and see you on Boxing day, will be interesting. Oh and since I'm here can I take the time to direct anyone unaware of it, to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign. Ta.

Hello there boys and girls. Well done on the Owen signing. Great clinch it is for you and although it pains me to see us play the situation so poorly fair play to Newcastle. Your guys laid the cards on the table and did what was required while we pussy footed around trying to play poker without the money. The way I've seen the whole saga is that we've had contact with Michael and SFX for a long time. His family and his friends (at the club, in the city) have been prompted he was coming back. Rafa wanted him. The club wanted him. Everyone in Liverpool knew he was on his way back. Sure everyone talks about the "friend of a friend" but Liverpool is a small city and things get around and it was nailed on. He had even accepted a pay cut to come back. He was on his way back but at some point in the game we've pussied about. Rafa was told he'd have money for Owen + a right winger (hopefully Solano now) and centre back. But when it's come time for us to make our move we havent got the money (partly due to your bid) and have to flog Cisse to make way for Owen which would have been madness. Owen was told to sit tight and even wait till January if we couldn't settle something in the 48 hours and call Real's bluff by not moving. Clearly he wasn't prepared to that and took the safe option of joining Newcastle as a 4th option. In the end I'm gutted but selling Cisse and buying owen for £16m would have been foolishness on our part. Shepherd has done the business for you lot but Rick Parry has a lot to answer for us as we enter the season with the possibility of a completely inexperienced strike force, no right winger and absolutely no cover for Sami and Carradona. Frightening it may be but we have the best manager in Europe and will cope I'm sure.

Anyway, you're getting a decent squad now. Boumsong, Given, Emre, Parker, Dyer, Shearer, Owen and Luque is very healthy but defence still needs a lot of work from what I've seen. But it's a new squad and will take time to blend & gel, I dont think expectations like a top 5 finish will do the club any good to be honest. Also interested to know where the club are financing all this money from too? Can't all be from the sale of Woodgate can it? Will the fans get off Souness' back? He's a legend for his playing career with us obviously and although he sold his soul as manger with us it surprised me to see the amount of stick he got before he even had 10 minutes in the job. This is his first full season in charge and where he should be judged. Although things went downhill at Blackburn he did win the league cup and get them to 6th, it was kind of inevitible that things would slide after Dunn and Duff were sold.

Anyway, good luck for the season (not too much though lol) and see you on Boxing day, will be interesting. Oh and since I'm here can I take the time to direct anyone unaware of it, to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign. Ta.

23547[/snapback]

Hi, nice to have you here. :suicide:

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad YOU can see what a coup we pulled off. According to our "legendary" supporters, our board are shite..... :stars:

Nice to read your thoughts.

It actually came as a suprise to me that Shepherd didn't play games this time and slapped a bid in right away. I think it was the Alan Shearer factor that clinched the deal at our end. I did expect him to sign for Liverpool.

Having said that I rate Cisse and am suprised it was him who you tried to sell. What about Morientes? He's looked poor every time I've seen him so far.

Nice to read your thoughts.

It actually came as a suprise to me that Shepherd didn't play games this time and slapped a bid in right away. I think it was the Alan Shearer factor that clinched the deal at our end. I did expect him to sign for Liverpool.

Having said that I rate Cisse and am suprised it was him who you tried to sell. What about Morientes? He's looked poor every time I've seen him so far.

23561[/snapback]

We had to fight tooth and nail to grab Morientes from Real Madrid (who we don't really have a great working relationship with...) and he's Rafa's man. There's no way he'll be gone anytime soon.

Re your board, to be fair, I think it's crap aswell but credit where credit is due, theyve done well this time. If we had the money that NUFC are branding about then Michael would've been in Liverpool red a long time ago I'm sure but we didn't and that's life. I wonder if rumours of a £12m release clause are true? Certainly it would tie in with reports saying that is as far as we were prepared to go on Michael. Wouldnt surprise me to see him move in 12 months time but we'll see eh!

Hi, another Red here...was just reading your board out of interest and decided to post.

First off, congrats on getting Owen - while not a solution to all your problems, the bottom line is if you give him chances he will get you goals. He will also raise the profile of your club and who knows, might spark something of a resurgence.

I must disagree very slightly with my fellow Kopite about our board's conduct during this transfer - we did and do have the money - the Cisse stuff was just journo fabrication. There was no way in a million years we were going to pay double what we sold Owen for a year ago, as that would make us look like complete mugs. I don't believe Rafa in any way intends to let Real screw him around in the transfer market anymore after the initial Owen transfer and the Figo deal.

Edited by Cosmik Debris

nah I'm not softlad. No problem.

Hi, another Red here...was just reading your board out of interest and decided to post.

First off, congrats on getting Owen - while not a solution to all your problems, the bottom line is if you give him chances he will get you goals. He will also raise the profile of your club and who knows, might spark something of a resurgence.

I must disagree very slightly with my fellow Kopite about our board's conduct during this transfer - we did and do have the money - the Cisse stuff was just journo fabrication. There was no way in a million years we were going to pay double what we sold Owen for a year ago, as that would make us look like complete mugs. I don't believe Rafa in any way intends to let Real screw him around in the transfer market anymore after the initial Owen transfer and the Figo deal.

23603[/snapback]

Without turning this into a Liverpool discussion lol, there was always the belief that Owen & LFC had things sorted and all that was needed was some patience from both parties to get Real to lower their asking price (which is why Owen came out last week saying he'd only move to NUFC on loan). I think it became apparent that Real Madrid weren't prepared to budge since Newcastle's huge offer was on the table which led us to basically saying we can't afford him. Both Monaco and Marseille have said they wanted Cisse and Rafa didn't really do anything to stop the speculation.

Nice to see the sensible side of the Liverpool reaction. The BEEB 606 showed Liverpool fans at their worst - you want to check it. But I agree with one or two of the lads here - when it signed and sealed THEN talk about it. Fat lady sings and all that.

nah I'm not softlad. No problem.

23603[/snapback]

Without turning this into a Liverpool discussion lol, there was always the belief that Owen & LFC had things sorted and all that was needed was some patience from both parties to get Real to lower their asking price (which is why Owen came out last week saying he'd only move to NUFC on loan). I think it became apparent that Real Madrid weren't prepared to budge since Newcastle's huge offer was on the table which led us to basically saying we can't afford him. Both Monaco and Marseille have said they wanted Cisse and Rafa didn't really do anything to stop the speculation.

23621[/snapback]

That's true, and slightly worrying too. I wanted Owen back, but not at the expense of Cisse. Hope Rafa's not looking to get shot.

But you're right, we don't want to turn this into a Liverpool discussion forum. :fuk:

Nice to see the sensible side of the Liverpool reaction. The BEEB 606 showed Liverpool fans at their worst - you want to check it. But I agree with one or two of the lads here - when it signed and sealed THEN talk about it. Fat lady sings and all that.

23627[/snapback]

It it nice to see them on here. I like Liverpool fans generally and these lads sound like good lads, we know how forums can make us sound. How would we feel if some on this forum were allowed to represent us!

I have always found liverpool fans to be a top bunch, suppose the tw*ts that come from the blue side help them seem more appealing to chat with aswell though!  :P

23644[/snapback]

Yeah I remember Rafa (the poster not the manager! :fuk: ) started a thread to wish wor lot a good run in the season. Goes both ways too, HTT is getting a fairly decent reception on the RAWK site with his "cheer up" post too.

Take care, and as long as the 4-3 scoreline happens in our favour this season, I wouldn't mind that sort of excitement, like! :razz:

I've got nowt against NUFC, except the constant "big club" assertions by the press but it's another story for another day. Certainly favour you lot over Boro or Sunderland though! lol.

We certainly do have some bad apples in our fanbase (not saying I'm that juicy lol) but watching sky sports and fans singing "are you watching liverpool" is a bit silly and I know a lot of geordie england fans who have been quick to criticise St Michael in the past but thats football. Just one request - please please please dont sing that shite "Sign On" song. It was funny the first time someone sang it, now everyone does, including Wolverhampton Wanderers. arf! NUFC fans have a reputation of being good willed supporters, up for a laugh and witty in their songs and humour - a bit like the Kop used to be.

Speak soon

I've got nowt against NUFC, except the constant "big club" assertions by the press but it's another story for another day. Certainly favour you lot over Boro or Sunderland though! lol.

We certainly do have some bad apples in our fanbase (not saying I'm that juicy lol) but watching sky sports and fans singing "are you watching liverpool" is a bit silly and I know a lot of geordie england fans who have been quick to criticise St Michael in the past but thats football. Just one request - please please please dont sing that shite "Sign On" song. It was funny the first time someone sang it, now everyone does, including Wolverhampton Wanderers. arf! NUFC fans have a reputation of being good willed supporters, up for a laugh and witty in their songs and humour - a bit like the Kop used to be.

Speak soon

23780[/snapback]

They get one brain cell and share it between Newcastle "fans" that are on TV tbh.