Scouting network needs rebuilding

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder last night vowed to rebuild a Newcastle scouting network he claims is all but non-existent . . .

In order to identify transfer targets worthy of his quest for success at St James's Park.

While Roeder describes his summer player search as his biggest challenge as United boss, his first - and biggest - signing of the summer may perform off the pitch.

"We haven't got the recruitment personnel - ie the scouting network - we need, and we're working on that," Roeder revealed.

"We've got one full-time scout. Frank Arnesen, at Academy level at Chelsea, has got more than 20 full-time scouts all around the world looking for young talent under 21.

"The chairman is trying to help me and we've highlighted someone we want to employ.

"We are trying to persuade him to leave his current club to come to Newcastle, and he would help me greatly.

"We would be employing his address book. He has got contacts, and we haven't."

Guest Patrokles

About time, as long as it isn't just becoming a Glen's mates network but a real professional set up...

"Planning"

Though I think you could justify claiming that Souness had a bit of an old mates network, I don't think you can level that against Roeder.

About time, as long as it isn't just becoming a Glen's mates network but a real professional set up...

"Planning"

Though I think you could justify claiming that Souness had a bit of an old mates network, I don't think you can level that against Roeder.

I am just a bit suspicious about the Montgomery (former West Ham mate, now Rangers) rumour I read somewhere else. Of course, Roeder isn't as bad in this regard as the tosser. And while it's understandable that you want to work with people you know I think you should put quality ahead of cronyism if you really want to install professionalism.

"Planning"

I wouldn't call getting 1 man with his little black book in as a Professional set up tbh.

"Planning"

I am just a bit suspicious about the Montgomery (former West Ham mate, now Rangers) rumour I read somewhere else. Of course, Roeder isn't as bad in this regard as the tosser. And while it's understandable that you want to work with people you know I think you should put quality ahead of cronyism if you really want to install professionalism.

He worked for us under Robson too I think so I doubt it is just jobs for the boys.

It's taken him a year to realise that we need more than one scout? :lol:

This is the sort of thing that does my head in about the people who run this football club from chairman to maanger. And its why we are the worlds largest pub team, loads of money and resources, run like your local sunday league team.

The idea that in 20007 a club with our crowds and turnover, playing in the prem has 1 fulltime scout is absolutely disgraceful. And even if in the past the people who "run" our club were too thick to sort this out you'd think by watching the likes of Arsenal and their scouts trawling europe for the best young players we may have just thought, lets get a few more souts oursleves!

"Planning"

He worked for us under Robson too I think so I doubt it is just jobs for the boys.

I stand corrected. I forgot about it (even though he was just named yesterday as the one spotting Bernard at Lyon :lol: ).

So I'll let Glen off this time (just this time). Especially as he is right that the club needs to catch up with the bigger clubs when it comes to spotting cheap talent.

"Planning"

I stand corrected. I forgot about it (even though he was just named yesterday as the one spotting Bernard at Lyon :lol: ).

So I'll let Glen off this time (just this time). Especially as he is right that the club needs to catch up with the bigger clubs when it comes to spotting cheap talent.

10 years too late as usual....What next video performance analysis?.....Oh wait...

"Planning"

10 years too late as usual....What next video performance analysis?.....Oh wait...

Someone told me the story of meeting English scouts last week at an U15-international. He said they told him they would see all upcoming U17-qualifying matches played in Osnabrück. He then told them the matches weren't played in Osnabrück but in Spelle and Rheine.

I was actually quite happy when I heard the story, because the first that entered my mind was "Newcastle United". Only our lot could be so incompetent to send scouts abroad with no idea where the matches they want to see are actually being played...

"Planning"

Someone told me the story of meeting English scouts last week at an U15-international. He said they told him they would see all upcoming U17-qualifying matches played in Osnabrück. He then told them the matches weren't played in Osnabrück but in Spelle and Rheine.

I was actually quite happy when I heard the story, because the first that entered my mind was "Newcastle United". Only our lot could be so incompetent to send scouts abroad with no idea where the matches they want to see are actually being played...

:lol:

"Planning"

:lol:

I always thought the idea of this scouting lark was to hire natives who know the local game.

"Planning"

No, because that would be suggesting he actually had a network. :lol:

On a more serious note it's good to see this is being addressed but it ridiculous that this isn't already in place at a club the size of NUFC.

Roeder gets the credit on this one for trying to sort the problem out tbh. He takes none of the responsibility for the situation as it currently stands - that's a situation that's been allowed to continue for a number of years, it seems.

Roeder gets the credit on this one for trying to sort the problem out tbh. He takes none of the responsibility for the situation as it currently stands - that's a situation that's been allowed to continue for a number of years, it seems.

That about sums up Roeder for me.

He appears to at least have a clue about HOW a big club should be run, even if he's not quite capable of doing it at the level required.

Scouting, not over paying players and not rushing back players from injury being among them. :lol:

Guest Patrokles

That about sums up Roeder for me.

He appears to at least have a clue about HOW a big club should be run, even if he's not quite capable of doing it at the level required.

Scouting, not over paying players and not rushing back players from injury being among them. :lol:

I agree, and that's one of the reasons I'll bide my time before judging him either way. At least he's trying to set us up a decent infrastructure.

So it's taken 10 years to realise that last minute calls to 'friendly' agents isn't the way forward. :lol:

Aye, I thought Willie McKay was a full time employee of the club for the last few years, judging by the amount of 'talent' he;s brought in.

Well I don't think he can be blamed for it in the period of time he was caretaking.

And tbf it's not something you fix over night either, having said that once he's come out and admitted to the situation like he has, he (and FFS I suppose) only have a certain amount of time to fix it.

It does bemuse me that we could get to this level though, I can't imagine Robson left it like that (although admittedly he maybe had less need of traditional scouts in some senses due to his contacts I suppose).