Roeder: No one could have done better than me!

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder last night came out fighting in defence of his under-fire reign at Newcastle... Insisting no Premiership manager could have done better with United during their injury-hit season.

Roeder is standing defiant amid claims that the Magpies' campaign has been a failure, also claiming . . .

He feels under NO pressure, despite United's woeful UEFA Cup exit, lowly league position and fans' unrest.

He is staying at St James's Park for the "long haul" in a bid to rid the club of its culture of failure.

And he should be judged only on the success of the players he brings to Tyneside - not those he inherited.

But Roeder admitted he will only regard himself as a success when he has won United a major trophy.

The mood among Magpie fans is black after capitulation in Holland saw their side crash out of Europe.

Failure to strengthen in key areas during two transfer windows has been blamed for the surrender in Alkmaar.

But Roeder has also fielded flak over his tactics and team selections at home and abroad in recent weeks.

However, the United boss is dismissive of talk that his job is under threat - and that he has been a failure this season.

"There isn't any manager who would have kept Newcastle in the top six this year," a fiery Roeder told the Sunday Sun. "No one would have done better than me.

"The ones who think they could have are on fantasy island.

"Considering we have had the worst injury crisis in this club's history - and in any other flipping club's history - we have done the best we can.

"I'm not an excuse maker, but the fact is that we've had nine operations this year when, over the last 20 years, we have averaged two-and-a-half a year."

"We have done as well as we could in those circumstances."

Thus, Roeder is equally contemptuous of suggestions that he is feeling the pressure of life in English football's ultimate hotseat.

"No. None. None at all. I don't see why I should," he added. "Though it suits negative people to say that or write that. The most important thing at a football club is the football team, and we have had a dozen players out for six months.

"I am not yet working with my squad. I am working with other managers' squads.

"Three players (his signings Duff, Martins and Sibierski) is not my squad.

"I will get judged on the players I bring here in the summer. I have to find good character and mental strength as well as ability.

"The players that come in will have to perform to a level that keeps Newcastle in or very close to the top six all season."

As for criticism from unhappy fans, Roeder said: "It's easy being the manager 12 rows back behind me: easy.

"But I got brought up on criticism from people I respect and trust. Anyone else's criticism? It's `ta ta, bye bye'.

"I sleep well every night. In my own mind, I'm here for the long haul.

"To be successful you have to win something," he added. "So I'm not calling this season successful.

"We have got to get a mentality that when we don't play well we don't lose," he admitted. "That's something we cannot do at the moment."

And Roeder expects time to teach his players how.

"Every club that changes its manager all the time, struggles. Look at this club. Where has the continuity been? And what has happened?

"Where are the trophies?"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And he should be judged only on the success of the players he brings to Tyneside - not those he inherited.

Fair enough Glenn so lets have a look then...

Damien Duff, Paul Huntington, Obafemi Martins, Giuseppe Rossi, Antoine Sibierski, Olivier Bernard, Pavel Srnicek, Oguchi Onyewu

hmmmm I would say that overall based on that list Glenn you are a fucking failure son. Martins being the only one out of that to look world class, Sib has been worth the "money" we paid but frankly he was a panic buy that nobody else wanted otherwise you wouldnt have waited til the 11th hour to sign him. The rest are failures (Pav excluded but frankly we should never have been in that position in the 1st place).

Damien Duff, Paul Huntington, Obafemi Martins, Giuseppe Rossi, Antoine Sibierski, Olivier Bernard, Pavel Srnicek, Oguchi Onyewu

hmmmm I would say that overall based on that list Glenn you are a fucking failure son. Martins being the only one out of that to look world class, Sib has been worth the "money" we paid but frankly he was a panic buy that nobody else wanted otherwise you wouldnt have waited til the 11th hour to sign him. The rest are failures (Pav excluded but frankly we should never have been in that position in the 1st place).

Huntington is an academy player but the rest is pretty much spot on.

This is the same bloke who spent £10 million on Thomas Repka and Don Hutchinson ffs.

Whilst I am far from being on Roeders side, did you really expect to see him bring in anyone that looks "World Class"? :lol: Even Martins isn't world class tbh..

The rest are failures (Pav excluded but frankly we should never have been in that position in the 1st place).

We should never have been in that position? We have 3 keepers on our books in Given, Harper and Krul, whilst I criticise Roeder for his handling of the defender situation regardless of the injuries (as we all knew Bramble, Moore, Baba and Carr always pick up injuries) I fail to see what Roeder could have done to prevent the goalkeeping situation we were left in. I don't think we are really in a position to pay a 4th choice goalkeeper to do fuck all but sit on the reserves bence each week.

One thing thats guaranteed to lose any kind of sympathy anyone might have had for an admittedley difficult season injury wise is lost by absolute garbage like "6 players out for 6 months" - only Shola and Owen have been missing that long and Shola would be back by now if the club hadn't completely fucked up his treatment and Roeder hadn't kept playing the poor bloke for 2 months when he was a virtual cripple.

Shite transfers haven't helped.

Whatever you say, Rodders :lol:

Personally, top 8 or even top 10 would have been acceptable, but you couldn't manage that could you.

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :unsure::D Utter rubbish, Rodders.

Yes we've had injuries, but stop bleating on about it. If you aint feeling any pressure, why the need to come out and defend yourself??

To be fair, he may be at almost full strength now, but only 3 players have managed to play more than two thirds of the games this season. Even though most players are now fit, a squad that fractured throughout the season is going to struggle to play fluid, attractive football.

He never bleated on about the injuries while we were getting results (for a short while) but he's trotting it out a bit much now like, just pipe down and concentrate on settling on a first 11 with quality back up, rather than a random selection for every position but goalkeeper.

To be fair, he may be at almost full strength now, but only 3 players have managed to play more than two thirds of the games this season. Even though most players are now fit, a squad that fractured throughout the season is going to struggle to play fluid, attractive football.

He never bleated on about the injuries while we were getting results (for a short while) but he's trotting it out a bit much now like, just pipe down and concentrate on settling on a first 11 with quality back up, rather than a random selection for every position but goalkeeper.

:lol:

It's true, there's hardly a position on the park where I know who Roeder's first choice is.

It's true, there's hardly a position on the park where I know who Roeder's first choice is.

If it's any comfort he doesn't either.

If it's any comfort he doesn't either.

:unsure:

'comfort' isn't quite the word.

Guest Patrokles

Whatever you say, Rodders :D

Personally, top 8 or even top 10 would have been acceptable, but you couldn't manage that could you.

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :):blink: Utter rubbish, Rodders.

Yes we've had injuries, but stop bleating on about it. If you aint feeling any pressure, why the need to come out and defend yourself??

:lol::unsure::D<_<:D

I hope you see why that statement is a little iffy in comparison to what Roeder inherited.

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :):blink: Utter rubbish, Rodders.

I hope you see why that statement is a little iffy in comparison to what Roeder inherited.

Yes there is a huge difference in the standard of squad between us and Man Utd, however as much as we all slag off the current group of players we have at the club he took over a club with some good players that finished 7th in the league last year. He then had 15 million, which to most of the clubs in the league is a hell of alot of money, and we are going backwards...

Guest Patrokles

Yes there is a huge difference in the standard of squad between us and Man Utd, however as much as we all slag off the current group of players we have at the club he took over a club with some good players that finished 7th in the league last year. He then had 15 million, which to most of the clubs in the league is a hell of alot of money, and we are going backwards...

I'm not sure we're going backwards. I think this season has been a massive disappointment for everyone, but at the same time, it's been a useful reality check for all concerned. The acid test for Roeder is now what happens this upcoming summer. If he messes up this summer, and next season begins poorly, then I'll be more than willing to revise my opinion of him downwards. But I think he's made a few realisations this term, and we'll see whether he learns and puts things right.

I'm not sure we're going backwards. I think this season has been a massive disappointment for everyone, but at the same time, it's been a useful reality check for all concerned. The acid test for Roeder is now what happens this upcoming summer. If he messes up this summer, and next season begins poorly, then I'll be more than willing to revise my opinion of him downwards. But I think he's made a few realisations this term, and we'll see whether he learns and puts things right.

What does he know now that he couldn't have known last summer?

Guest Patrokles

Whatever you say, Rodders :rolleyes:

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :rolleyes::rolleyes: Utter rubbish, Rodders.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What does he know now that he couldn't have known last summer?

More self-realisations, and an awareness that the club wasn't as good as he may have thought.

When you look at the way things went for him last season, compared to this, then it's clear what the difference is between last summer and this.