Roeder: No one could have done better than me!

Scottish Mag

Whatever you say, Rodders :rolleyes:

Personally, top 8 or even top 10 would have been acceptable, but you couldn't manage that could you.

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :rolleyes::rolleyes: Utter rubbish, Rodders.

Yes we've had injuries, but stop bleating on about it. If you aint feeling any pressure, why the need to come out and defend yourself??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I hope you see why that statement is a little iffy in comparison to what Roeder inherited.

Yes there is a huge difference in the standard of squad between us and Man Utd, however as much as we all slag off the current group of players we have at the club he took over a club with some good players that finished 7th in the league last year. He then had 15 million, which to most of the clubs in the league is a hell of alot of money, and we are going backwards...

I'm not sure we're going backwards. I think this season has been a massive disappointment for everyone, but at the same time, it's been a useful reality check for all concerned. The acid test for Roeder is now what happens this upcoming summer. If he messes up this summer, and next season begins poorly, then I'll be more than willing to revise my opinion of him downwards. But I think he's made a few realisations this term, and we'll see whether he learns and puts things right.

We're not some kind of manager's school for little Glenn to learn his trade, we're a top flight Premiership football club, and it should be ran like one.

As ewerk says, what else could he know in the summer? That not addressing your team's shortcomings in TWO transfer windows isn't a good idea?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

Personally, top 8 or even top 10 would have been acceptable, but you couldn't manage that could you.

I feel sorry for the next manager of Man Utd. Imagine having to replace all the players to get 'his squad' in order not to be using someone else's :rolleyes::rolleyes: Utter rubbish, Rodders.

Yes we've had injuries, but stop bleating on about it. If you aint feeling any pressure, why the need to come out and defend yourself??

I hope you see why that statement is a little iffy in comparison to what Roeder inherited.

Yes there is a huge difference in the standard of squad between us and Man Utd, however as much as we all slag off the current group of players we have at the club he took over a club with some good players that finished 7th in the league last year. He then had 15 million, which to most of the clubs in the league is a hell of alot of money, and we are going backwards...

I'm not sure we're going backwards. I think this season has been a massive disappointment for everyone, but at the same time, it's been a useful reality check for all concerned. The acid test for Roeder is now what happens this upcoming summer. If he messes up this summer, and next season begins poorly, then I'll be more than willing to revise my opinion of him downwards. But I think he's made a few realisations this term, and we'll see whether he learns and puts things right.

We're not some kind of manager's school for little Glenn to learn his trade, we're a top flight Premiership football club, and it should be ran like one.

As ewerk says, what else could he know in the summer? That not addressing your team's shortcomings in TWO transfer windows isn't a good idea?

See above. It's actually quite clear what the difference is between last summer and this. He's going into this summer long after the expiration of his honeymoon period, his side isn't getting results, players such as Bramble, etc. are showing themselves not to be good enough. That's a COMPLETE CONTRAST to last summer.

See above. It's actually quite clear what the difference is between last summer and this. He's going into this summer long after the expiration of his honeymoon period, his side isn't getting results, players such as Bramble, etc. are showing themselves not to be good enough. That's a COMPLETE CONTRAST to last summer.

Bramble has shown himself to not be good enough from the day he signed tbh

Guest Patrokles

Bramble has shown himself to not be good enough from the day he signed tbh

But he had a decent spell under Roeder towards the end of last season, that's the point. Now he's reverted to form.

None of this excuses him from failing to address the squad's shortcomings, particularly in defence.

Roeder is a canny bloke, but coming out with bollocks like this just makes him look a complete moron. There are many managers who could and would ahve done a better job.

He's entitled to mention the fact its a record breaking injury hit season by anyones standards, but that can't hide the fact he had more than enough talent available to have won so many of the piss easy home games we through away and to have actually competed in some of the away matches we just didn't turn up for.

Also other managers might have tried buying fullbacks, getting some sort of organisation in the team, not picking Carr, known how to use subs and change games when its not working and many other things.

He's had some terrible luck this season with injuries, but to say what he has is just embarassing.

What does he know now that he couldn't have known last summer?

More self-realisations, and an awareness that the club wasn't as good as he may have thought.

When you look at the way things went for him last season, compared to this, then it's clear what the difference is between last summer and this.

Self-realisations? You reckon he's finally cottoned on that he's not up to the job?

And despite our good run of form towards the end of last season I think most of us knew that Bramble was always a liability and we needed two new full-backs. I don't think many of our players have improved or gotten worse since last season but what has changed is that our performances have been terrible. Let's not forget that Roeder wasn't an outsider coming into the job, he was at the club and I'm sure saw most of our games and knew the score with most of our players and as such shouldn't have needed a year to realise that some of our players just aren't good enough for the team.

Guest Patrokles

More self-realisations, and an awareness that the club wasn't as good as he may have thought.

When you look at the way things went for him last season, compared to this, then it's clear what the difference is between last summer and this.

Self-realisations? You reckon he's finally cottoned on that he's not up to the job?

And despite our good run of form towards the end of last season I think most of us knew that Bramble was always a liability and we needed two new full-backs. I don't think many of our players have improved or gotten worse since last season but what has changed is that our performances have been terrible. Let's not forget that Roeder wasn't an outsider coming into the job, he was at the club and I'm sure saw most of our games and knew the score with most of our players and as such shouldn't have needed a year to realise that some of our players just aren't good enough for the team.

But with the performances and results we were getting towards the end of last term, he would have been entitled to think that the squad wouldn't need a massive overhaul. Then the Owen spanner in the works didn't help. Now he's under no illusion as to the scale of the task. Therein lies the difference.

I'm not talking about a massive overhaul, I'm talking specifically about Bramble, Carr and Babyaro.

As a club employee I'm sure that Roeder had seen Bramble go through phases of being an excellent centre back under Souness but he also saw how bad he could be and that the concentration lapses kept returning. As for Carr and Babyaro even at the end of last season most people highlighted those two players as not being good enough and the need for replacements.

Whilst these problems were obvious to everyone else Roeder either didn't see them or ignored them and now he has to address them 12 months later with a season of mediocrity wasted. Glenn Roeder knows nothing now about those three players that wasn't glaringly obvious last summer and to say he does is ridiculous, the fact is that he is now faced with problems he should have sorted out last summer but chose not to.

Edited by ewerk

Guest Patrokles

You're ignoring my main point and I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here because I don't want to have to re-iterate for the second or third time.

Your main point is what exactly? That the performances at the end of last season papered over the cracks and it has taken a full year to assess everyone? Is that what you're saying?

Glad you had a good laugh! :rolleyes:

Maybe you didn't understand the point I was making, perchance??? Rodders implied that he (and a lot of other managers make the same tired point) that they can't be judged until they manage a squad of their own, and not someone else's. Now then, should Alan Pardew get Charlton to avoid relegation, what will this say of his management?? Surely Charlton should go down as they have a shit squad of players and the last manager was taking them down? But hey, if they stay up, then this says to me that a different manager can get a squad of any players to play better than his predessor and this excuse of 'using someone else's players' is a poor excuse. [imo]

Glad you had a good laugh! :rolleyes:

Maybe you didn't understand the point I was making, perchance??? Rodders implied that he (and a lot of other managers make the same tired point) that they can't be judged until they manage a squad of their own, and not someone else's. Now then, should Alan Pardew get Charlton to avoid relegation, what will this say of his management?? Surely Charlton should go down as they have a shit squad of players and the last manager was taking them down? But hey, if they stay up, then this says to me that a different manager can get a squad of any players to play better than his predessor and this excuse of 'using someone else's players' is a poor excuse. [imo]

Agree the 'not my players' thing is total smoke and mirrors...

Roeder's struggling without Shearer IMO

As a player or coach? Coaching wise, I feel he is missing Tommy Craig more.

Have faith, he's got Terry Mac and Lee Clark.......

That hes shit?

Roeder is 52 and has been a football manager for a long time. He shopuld no longer be learning stuff like how to spot a good player from a bad. He should now just be learning new forms of training and diet. maybe new tactical thinking. But not how to use subs and change a game. Or that playing a crap player just because that is his position. The man is a joke of a manager.

Guest Patrokles

Patrokles still ploughing a lone furrow as Roeder's chief apologist I see. Like fighting a bush fire with a watering can tbh. :lol:

I'm not in love with Roeder or anything. I just feel that there are always alternative viewpoints, and the board would be one big circle-jerk if someone didn't point them out!

Patrokles still ploughing a lone furrow as Roeder's chief apologist I see. Like fighting a bush fire with a watering can tbh. :lol:

I'm not in love with Roeder or anything. I just feel that there are always alternative viewpoints, and the board would be one big circle-jerk if someone didn't point them out!

Circle jerk Yay!!!!!

Circle Jerk? Are you actually American?

It's a wank-wheel man. :lol:

A merry-go-wank.

Guest Patrokles

I bow to your superior knowledge of mutual handjob orgies. :lol: