Magpies to go for Man Utd duo

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE are eyeing Manchester United defensive duo Wes Brown and Mikael Silvestre as they look to shore up their creaking defence this summer.

The Magpies are also pulling out all the stops to tempt Reading contract rebel Steve Sidwell to St James' Park on a Bosman.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder hasn't been happy with his back four for most of the campaign and the final straw came when they twice chucked away a three-goal lead to go out of the UEFA Cup to AZ Alkmaar earlier this month.

The inevitable end-ofseason clear-out could mean the end of the road for centre backs Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and on-loan Oguchi Onyewu and there must be doubts over injury-prone fullbacks Stephen Carr and Celestine Babayaro.

Newcastle are keen on both 27-year-old Brown and Silvestre, who is two years older, because both experienced internationals can operate in central defence or at full back.

It is unlikely, however, that Sir Alex Ferguson will want to let two top defenders leave together. Brown wanted to move on in 2005, but eventually signed a contract until 2008.

But there is a feeling that Ferguson might reluctantly decide to cash in on Brown once he enters the final year of his contract.

Silvestre has two years of his present deal left.

Newcastle are pushing hard for Sidwell and feel they have a good chance of landing the 24-year-old midfielder.

Guest Patrokles

:lol:

Shirley we can do better than a couple of Man U cast-offs.

You make it sound like Manchester United are a division 2 side with a shit squad.

i'd take both as they are both very good players.

silvestre has won silverware consistently so how does that make him shit.

So has Traore, it must be the sign of a good player....

Silvestre is a joke at ManU, my mate goes there often and I read one of the fanzines he had in the back of his car which had a mock up piss take of him. Not what you would expect to see in a fanzine for one of their own "very good" players.

point well made gejon, however is he any worse than what we have. i have my doubts.

No but then thats the point in signing better players. There is no point getting players in because they are a bit better than the shite we already have.

I don't really know whether Silvestre is good enough or not, but i know that whilst Wes Brown is easilly better than what we have his injury record is appalling and that's without him being at NUFC, we'd have to be mad to try and sign him!