We won't rush Owen back

Scottish Mag

Freddy Shepherd has warned England that Newcastle United will not rush Michael Owen back to help them out of their Euro crisis.

England have only scored only one goal in their last five games and now there is every danger that they will not qualify for the finals of the European Championship in Switzerland and Austria in the summer of 2008.

And with England's under-fire manager Steve McClaren having a public fall-out with Wayne Rooney after Saturday's disappointing goalless draw with Israel, Owen is now seen as the only hope in the eyes of some supporters.

Certainly if Owen returns for United before the end of the season then he will be in the England team for the summer Euro qualifier against Estonia in Tallinn on June 6.

But if Owen does not return with United before then it has to put a question mark against him playing for England in the summer.

However, in an exclusive interview, United chairman Shepherd told me today: "I am an England fan and I want to watch them in the Euro finals in 2008.

"But let's stop this clamour for Michael Owen returning to play for England before it gets up a full head of steam.

"Michael Owen will return when it is in the best interests of the player and Newcastle United not England.

"The player and Newcastle United come first, but he will not be rushed back just so that he can play for England in the summer.

"And make no mistake about it, if Michael is not fit for Newcastle United this season he will not be fit for England."

Shepherd is already at loggerheads with FIFA about the amount of compensation United should get after Owen injured his knee in the World Cup game with Sweden in June.

As far as the United supporters are concerned, some I have spoken to want Owen back in a black-and- white shirt as soon as possible.

Others tell me they would be prepared to wait until the start of next season.

There was a report over the weekend that Owen has pencilled in his comeback for the game with Chelsea at St James' Park on April 22 and that would certainly add some spice to an already attractive game.

But Glenn Roeder told me today: "There is no comeback date for Michael Owen at this moment in time.

"However, I have to say Michael is now flying in training and we are delighted at the progress he is making."

Freddy Shepherd has warned England that Newcastle United will not rush Michael Owen back to help them out of their Euro crisis.

England have only scored only one goal in their last five games and now there is every danger that they will not qualify for the finals of the European Championship in Switzerland and Austria in the summer of 2008.

And with England's under-fire manager Steve McClaren having a public fall-out with Wayne Rooney after Saturday's disappointing goalless draw with Israel, Owen is now seen as the only hope in the eyes of some supporters.

Certainly if Owen returns for United before the end of the season then he will be in the England team for the summer Euro qualifier against Estonia in Tallinn on June 6.

But if Owen does not return with United before then it has to put a question mark against him playing for England in the summer.

However, in an exclusive interview, United chairman Shepherd told me today: "I am an England fan and I want to watch them in the Euro finals in 2008.

"But let's stop this clamour for Michael Owen returning to play for England before it gets up a full head of steam.

"Michael Owen will return when it is in the best interests of the player and Newcastle United not England.

"The player and Newcastle United come first, but he will not be rushed back just so that he can play for England in the summer.

"And make no mistake about it, if Michael is not fit for Newcastle United this season he will not be fit for England."

Shepherd is already at loggerheads with FIFA about the amount of compensation United should get after Owen injured his knee in the World Cup game with Sweden in June.

As far as the United supporters are concerned, some I have spoken to want Owen back in a black-and- white shirt as soon as possible.

There was a report over the weekend that Owen has pencilled in his comeback for the game with Chelsea at St James' Park on April 22 and that would certainly add some spice to an already attractive game.

But Glenn Roeder told me today: "There is no comeback date for Michael Owen at this moment in time.

"However, I have to say Michael is now flying in training and we are delighted at the progress he is making."

Hedging on all sides. The steady stream of propoganda continues unabated. Have we hired Saatchi and Saatchi?

Hedging on all sides. The steady stream of propoganda continues unabated. Have we hired Saatchi and Saatchi?

Or how many times can we slyly re-emphasise that we bought an England player...

"

Michael Owen will return when it is in the best interests of the player and Newcastle United not England.

"And make no mistake about it, if Michael is not fit for Newcastle United this season he will not be fit for England

I dont see the problem tbh. Saying exactly what i want him to be saying.

"

Michael Owen will return when it is in the best interests of the player and Newcastle United not England.

"And make no mistake about it, if Michael is not fit for Newcastle United this season he will not be fit for England

I dont see the problem tbh. Saying exactly what i want him to be saying.

Haven't you noticed he/they have been doing a lot of that just recently...

Yes, but dont tell me you are unhappy that the club are talking sense for once?

Dyer admitting to being a twat

Roeder finally admitting Bramble and the rest of our defence arent good enough and wont be getting new contratcs

Shepherd telling the press to shut up about owen returning for england.

Im sure you believe there is some sinister reason behind it, and that may be true, but it seems that the club can only do wrong with some people.

Yes, but dont tell me you are unhappy that the club are talking sense for once?

Dyer admitting to being a twat

Roeder finally admitting Bramble and the rest of our defence arent good enough and wont be getting new contratcs

Shepherd telling the press to shut up about owen returning for england.

Im sure you believe there is some sinister reason behind it, and that may be true, but it seems that the club can only do wrong with some people.

I think since the AZ game there has been a propoganda drive of sorts and also GR has been shoring up his positon. TBF I find these kind of club led press snippets utterly without any creativity or aforethought...They just seem to be stating the plain obvious.

If they are trying to do good then fair enough. We'll find out this summer.

Doesn't this article completely contradict the comments aired by Roeder a few weeks ago when he said Owen will not be coming back gently?? :lol:

Doesn't this article completely contradict the comments aired by Roeder a few weeks ago when he said Owen will not be coming back gently?? :lol:

Good point Craig. Looks like they're at 6's and 7's as usual.

However, I have to say Michael is now flying in training and we are delighted at the progress he is making.

Now change Michael to Kieron and it all looks so sickeningly familiar.

....probably using the same template... :lol: