Roeder not worried

Baggio

Roeder not worried that Shearer will return to take his job

George Caulkin

He has loomed over Newcastle United’s recent history in much the same manner as St James’ Park dominates the Tyneside skyline, but Alan Shearer is regarded as an ally by Glenn Roeder, the manager, not a threat. As the club conclude a difficult campaign engaged in navel-gazing, the name of their record goalscorer figures prominently, but Roeder is embracing his position as a “long-term” project.

There is something irresistible about Shearer returning to manage his home-town side. Since his retirement as a player last summer, he has combined television punditry for the BBC with the process of acquiring his coaching qualifications, but while he has spoken enthusiastically about the prospect of life in the dugout, the timing, as yet, does not seem comfortable.

As striker, captain and talisman, Shearer effectively enjoyed a power base at Newcastle to rival most managerial incumbents he worked alongside. Ruud Gullit tendered his resignation after banishing Shearer to the substitutes’ bench for a game against Sunderland, while the odd bout of tension in his relationship with Sir Bobby Robson was interpreted as destabilising.

Theoretically, something similar could apply to Roeder, who is working on a one-year rolling contract, but the Londoner takes an opposing stance. “It never crosses my mind,” he said. “Alan texts me before every single game, wishing me all the best and he has been very supportive. I don’t think I’m just keeping the seat warm for Alan; I see myself here long-term, very much so.

“I see him as my friend. He understands the problems we have had. He has endorsed that during the season, saying how difficult the job has been. I don’t believe anyone could have done better.”

Roeder is not only coping with heightened expectation — albeit doused by a crippling injury list — but also a cult of disappointment. Without a domestic trophy since 1955, hope and disillusion have long been married, from Newcastle’s implosion under Kevin Keegan to tame performances in recent cup competitions.

The trend continued in their listless departure from the Uefa Cup, when AZ Alkmaar were allowed to recover from a two-goal deficit to reach the quarter-finals. “Nobody wants to win more than me,” Roeder said. “Nobody wants to change Newcastle more than me. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change the culture of Newcastle United. That result against Alkmaar is Newcastle.

“It’s not just about this season or last season, it’s the Newcastle which threw away a 12-point lead at the top of the Premiership, which you would have thought was impossible. It’s engrained in that badge.”

At such a tempestuous club, managers can rarely afford to look beyond the immediate, but Roeder took a calculated risk when he found his leading transfer targets unavailable last January and refused to sign inferior alternatives. “There are managers out there whose philosophy is to keep surviving for the next six months, but what do they achieve for their clubs?” he said. “Not a lot.

“I’ve been prepared to gamble on my job here for the good of Newcastle, so that in the summer I can hopefully get the signings I want. There is no reason to think at this particular time that we won’t. We can go into next season with a better squad. The mould will be broken and what will break it is the squad of players we have.

“I will be judged on the quality of player I will get into this club. That is why anyone who comes in here will be my signing. I will be judged on that player. I’m happy to be judged on [Obafemi] Martins, [Antoine] Sibierski and [Damien] Duff, but three signings is not my squad.”

At such a tempestuous club, managers can rarely afford to look beyond the immediate, but Roeder took a calculated risk when he found his leading transfer targets unavailable last January and refused to sign inferior alternatives. “There are managers out there whose philosophy is to keep surviving for the next six months, but what do they achieve for their clubs?” he said. “Not a lot.

“I’ve been prepared to gamble on my job here for the good of Newcastle, so that in the summer I can hopefully get the signings I want. There is no reason to think at this particular time that we won’t. We can go into next season with a better squad. The mould will be broken and what will break it is the squad of players we have.

“I will be judged on the quality of player I will get into this club. That is why anyone who comes in here will be my signing. I will be judged on that player. I’m happy to be judged on [Obafemi] Martins, [Antoine] Sibierski and [Damien] Duff, but three signings is not my squad.”

Hmmm, interesting reading.

Rodders is confirming that there was money available in the window but he didn't want to buy what was available.

He says he is taking a gamble on his job with this decision not to buy anyone. That sentence could also be easily written as 'I've taken a gamble with NUFC' which is, ultimately, the main consideration.

However, I have to say that he has gone up a few notches in my estimation for being so brave, as I don't want to see dross brought in just for the sake of it. I hope it works out for him but only time will tell.

Rodders is confirming that there was money available in the window but he didn't want to buy what was available.

He says he is taking a gamble on his job with this decision not to buy anyone. That sentence could also be easily written as 'I've taken a gamble with NUFC' which is, ultimately, the main consideration.

However, I have to say that he has gone up a few notches in my estimation for being so brave, as I don't want to see dross brought in just for the sake of it. I hope it works out for him but only time will tell.

Or alternatively I f*cked up and ran around like a headless chicken and went to see people a million times and by the time I made my decision it was too late. Like in games where I can see we are crap but can't make up my mind until I put subs on 7 minutes from time.

Or alternatively I f*cked up and ran around like a headless chicken and went to see people a million times and by the time I made my decision it was too late. Like in games where I can see we are crap but can't make up my mind until I put subs on 7 minutes from time.

:lol:

For every ying, there's a yang! :lol:

What a load of shite. I have precisely zero faith in you or your future signings Glen. You are one of the worst managers in the premier league, if not the worst, and will achieve fuck all at our club, except get us relegated.

What a load of shite. I have precisely zero faith in you or your future signings Glen. You are one of the worst managers in the premier league, if not the worst, and will achieve fuck all at our club, except get us relegated.

So you won't be joining the Glen Roeder Fan Club then?

So you won't be joining the Glen Roeder Fan Club then?

Nice bloke or not with him in charge I literally have no hope for us. I'd take Shearer like a shot. At least with him there is the vague possibility of success and I could get excited again.

Let's get my thoughts on Rodders out of the way first.

I don't think he's the right man for NUFC. I don't think he can motivate the team or get them playing with any degree of excitement.

But, if he has the balls to say 'Fuck it, I'm not buying x because I don't think he's good enough, regardless of our squad being close to the bones' then he has shown he has a bit of gumption about him - reagardless of how good we think he ultimately is.

I don't think he's the right man for NUFC. I don't think he can motivate the team or get them playing with any degree of excitement.

But, if he has the balls to say 'Fuck it, I'm not buying x because I don't think he's good enough, regardless of our squad being close to the bones' then he has shown he has a bit of gumption about him - reagardless of how good we think he ultimately is.

It's all words though Snakey, the only thing that matters is results and I'm sick of waiting on a promise.

I see what you are saying but I think its more probable that its just more PR spin and it was more of a combination of having actually having fuck all to spend (despite what the clubs says) and the fact he'll struggle to attract many players to the club.

I think some of the "I'm not buying shit for the sake of it" stuff is cobblers anyway. He doesn't have the options because he lacks a scouting network, and he doesn't have the balls to make a decision when he has one to make. That's the bulk of the reason why he can't make signings imo.

Well, we are going to find out in the summer.

If there was cash available, then there should be an even bigger pot to spend in the close season.

I will be waiting to be pleasantly surprised :lol: and use the phrase *in mock european accent* 'My, Mr Rodders, with all these great players you are really spoiling us!'

Well, we are going to find out in the summer.

If there was cash available, then there should be an even bigger pot to spend in the close season.

I will be waiting to be pleasantly surprised :lol: and use the phrase *in mock european accent* 'My, Mr Rodders, with all these great players you are really spoiling us!'

What pisses me off is like all these wankers it is a opportunity of a life time, for me it is my lifetime :lol:

Anyway I feel Roeder had done a good job up until AZ. He has not wasted any money. Having said that I feel we should bin him as we have went as far as possible with him.

Love the way he dosn't mention Bernard,Rossi,Gooch,Pav :lol:

He is a shit manager,we are not going anywhere with him in charge and i just hope he gets sacked by the end of the season..

No offence, but from the outside looking in, it looks like we've tried and failed to bring in players then panic bought last minute. More bullshit from Roeder, getting sick of the fuckin spin now like.

....another day more bollocks from Roeder.

By the way, he won't be judged on the quality of his signings. He'll be judged on the ability to turn them into a cohesive unit that plays decent football and wins games.

So I reckon he's fucked.