Roeder rules out moves for Distin and Silvestre

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder insists he has no plans to take either Sylvain Distin or Mikael Silvestre to Newcastle United.

The Magpies manager has admitted he is hoping to strengthen his defence in the summer and was linked with the duo over the weekend.

But Roeder revealed he will not be making any inroads to sign Manchester City's Distin or Manchester United's Silvestre.

"Not one player I was linked with over the weekend was correct and I am not interested in Mikael Silvestre or Sylvain Distin," Roeder told the Evening Chronicle.

Distin is out of contract at City in the summer and has yet to make a decision on his future, with Stuart Pearce hoping to persuade the Frenchman to stay.

Silvestre, meanwhile, has not been a regular in The Red Devils' plans this term and is out for the remainder of the season due to a shoulder injury.

Over the weekend, Roeder had scouts across Europe taking in Euro 2008 qualifiers, while the Magpies boss watched Portugal's 4-0 win over Belgium.

A defender on a free with premiership experience who is better that our current crop of defenders and he's not interested.

I know it's only Distin, but you'd have thought the whole Campbell saga would have knocked some sense into the thick twat. ;)

A defender on a free with premiership experience who is better that our current crop of defenders and he's not interested.

I know it's only Distin, but you'd have thought the whole Campbell saga would have knocked some sense into the thick twat. :)

Better than Sodje? ;):)

Guest Patrokles

Let's hope he has the bar set higher than those two.

Let's hope he's not set it too high that we'll have no chance of signing said players.

Given the derision and 'I hope we don't sign Silvestre!' cries earlier this week, I'm surprised there's not more support for his stance.

Let's hope he's not set it too high that we'll have no chance of signing said players.

Given the derision and 'I hope we don't sign Silvestre!' cries earlier this week, I'm surprised there's not more support for his stance.

Silvestre im glad about but I think Distin on a free could be very useful.

Has anyone complained about that in this thread? As far as I can see, most people are saying they'd take Distin. Wouldn't you?

I thought Distin was shit for us, and looks average for City.

He's big and quick so he's half way there in looking like a decent centre half, but doesn't have the brains for it. Just like Boumsong. Infact, he's a shitter version of Boumsong. That's how shit he is.

Plus, it used to annoy the piss out of me the way he'd throw his hands around in the air every time we conceded a goal.

As a replacement for Bramble as third choice then yes, first XI - No.

I thought Distin was shit for us, and looks average for City.

He's big and quick so he's half way there in looking like a decent centre half, but doesn't have the brains for it. Just like Boumsong. Infact, he's a shitter version of Boumsong. That's how shit he is.

Plus, it used to annoy the piss out of me the way he'd throw his hands around in the air every time we conceded a goal.

As a replacement for Bramble as third choice then yes, first XI - No.

Distin is much better than Boumsong. Possibly one of the worst defenders I have seen play for us.

"Not one player I was linked with over the weekend was correct and I am not interested in Mikael Silvestre or Sylvain Distin," Roeder told the Evening Chronicle.

Apart from the two Portuguese defenders who Kenny Shepherd said we were intrested in?