Aldi

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Does anyone here shop at Aldi? It might have a bit of a pikey stigma, but I got a cracking set of portable speakers for my mp3 player there today. Also they do some excellent biscuits and cheeses there.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I only sink as low as Asda tbh. ;)

27 year old and you're still worrying about going into Harry Ramp shops rather than worrying about getting yourself a bargain?

Some quality stuff in Aldi. The Chocolate Mousse they used to do was lush.

Aldi are great for the Special deal gadgets etc, I don't find their food all that cheap so I don't bother, I use Lidls for that.....

I only sink as low as Asda tbh. ;)

27 year old and you're still worrying about going into Harry Ramp shops rather than worrying about getting yourself a bargain?

Aldi, Netto, both good shit :)

I only sink as low as Asda tbh. :)

To be honest, I dont have an Aldi (or Netto) anywhere local to me. Not that I would go in anyway!! ;) I used to have a kwik save close by when I lived in the toon. Reminded me of Dawn of the Dead.

Aldi is great, cheap as piss... I can get the same amount of shopping in Aldi for about 5 quid that would cost me 20 quid in Sainsburys, obviously its not as good quality but it'll do me when I'm skint!

Edited by Greg

We had one of these threads a while back and I ended up going to Lidl on the strength of it. Jesus wept, never again! I don't think it helped that my closest Lidl is in Battle Hill, but it was just absolutely manky and I couldn't find one thing that looked appetising. ;)

Somebody give me something nice to buy from Lidl!

There's a new-ish Aldi that I pass on my way home so I might try there instead of Tesco for a blast. Are there any special Aldi customs that I should know about - do I need to take my own carriers or pay only in cash or something like that? I'm only half-joking btw. :)

We had one of these threads a while back and I ended up going to Lidl on the strength of it. Jesus wept, never again! I don't think it helped that my closest Lidl is in Battle Hill, but it was just absolutely manky and I couldn't find one thing that looked appetising. ;)

Somebody give me something nice to buy from Lidl!

There's a new-ish Aldi that I pass on my way home so I might try there instead of Tesco for a blast. Are there any special Aldi customs that I should know about - do I need to take my own carriers or pay only in cash or something like that? I'm only half-joking btw. :)

Bockwurst. Got some from Sainsbury and some from lidl and lidl is superior. Also big bags of Pasta, Bratwursts, Misterchoc, beer.

I was going to say, go there as well as (rather than instead of) your weekly shop.

Not that I'm exactly nostalgic for German food, but it's always nice to pick up a nice bit of spicy sausage, etc. etc.

Aldi is better than Lidl and Netto tbh. You can't really do a 'proper shop' there but the stuff is good quality.

I think I said it in the other thread ages ago. Aldi do have a very strict policy. A lot of the stuff are just second labels from the big companies. They also have stipulations in their contracts that they are allowed to kick products out of their sortiment as soon as products do not get top rankings in product tests.

Aldi is better than Lidl and Netto tbh. You can't really do a 'proper shop' there but the stuff is good quality.

I think I said it in the other thread ages ago. Aldi do have a very strict policy. A lot of the stuff are just second labels from the big companies. They also have stipulations in their contracts that they are allowed to kick products out of their sortiment as soon as products do not get top rankings in product tests.

Good for vino imo. If you go, the bottles of stuff they sell in the £5-10 range normally taste more like the £10-15 from a normal supermarket. Their fresh pasta is very nice too. Basically though, it's the sort of place where you go in and buy a few 'odds and ends'.

So can anyone answer my question re having to take your own carriers etc? I'm sure you used to have to. Or is it just that you have to pay for them so gyppos take their own?

You have to pay iirc, or you can use a box ;) as some people do. I haven't been since before Xmas. I can't even remember if you have to pay cash but I think you can use your card.

So can anyone answer my question re having to take your own carriers etc? I'm sure you used to have to. Or is it just that you have to pay for them so gyppos take their own?

No idea - I take bags with me whenever I go shopping anyway, despite the patronising tone of Tesco's 'Green Clubcard Points'. The Germans have got me well trained ;)

No idea - I take bags with me whenever I go shopping anyway, despite the patronising tone of Tesco's 'Green Clubcard Points'. The Germans have got me well trained :)

Gyppo. ;)

Cheers then. You want to be able to pay with cards though. I only carry hundreds and plastic baby.

No idea - I take bags with me whenever I go shopping anyway, despite the patronising tone of Tesco's 'Green Clubcard Points'. The Germans have got me well trained :)

Gyppo. ;)

Pssht. Fabric bags with obscure German slogans are where it's at. There's nothing quite like the confused xenophobia of a London bus-dweller who knows he's looking at something foreign but isn't clever enough to work out what exactly he should be shouting at you. :)

I class myself as a Lidl-enthusiast.

I regularly do my weekly shop in there.. But occasionally go to Waitrose for herbs and spices and fresh fish etc

Lidl do good fruit and veg (although it will go off, unlike the Tesco's stuff) you can get decent meat, bread, pasta, olive oil, pesto, super cheap jam, cereals and household products... I got a whole (frozen) lobster for a fiver....

It works for me, but if you cant cook and rely on microwave meals then stay well clear...

Gemmill, if the Aldi policy is the same as Lidl, they take cash and debit cards but no credit cards.

I regularly do my weekly shop in there.. But occasionally go to Waitrose for herbs and spices and fresh fish etc

That's quite a range.

Two opposite ends of the supermarket spectrum. No Waitroses near me still though.