Does your car fill with petrol

Renton

Mine does the automatic breaking thing, it’s quite handy but it feels utterly surreal.

Its only ever done it when I’ve gotten to close to another car though & one time I’d gone round a corner and someone sprung out on me. 

You end up breaking yourself as well, but it’s nice to get a head start :lol: 

21 minutes ago, ewerk said:

My automatic braking is ridculous. It literally does put the brakes on 100% and scares the shit out of me.

Aye mine too, and it sets off a fucking deafening klaxon in the car.  Wakes me up every time.

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Renton said:

When will driverless cars become a reality? My new one has driving assist which nudges you into the middle of the lane etc. In theory you can take your hands off the wheel but no way would I trust it. Also brakes if you get too close to the car in front. I was driving under a metro bridge when a metro went over it, and the stupid cunt of a car slammed on the brakes. Doesn't inspire confidence. 

They already exist

• 2 years later...

Anyone got any experience of electric cars? I'm thinking of changing to do my bit for the planet. Is it a pain the balls finding somewhere then waiting for it to charge? Do you have to go to the official garage for servicing?

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

Anyone got any experience of electric cars? I'm thinking of changing to do my bit for the planet. Is it a pain the balls finding somewhere then waiting for it to charge? Do you have to go to the official garage for servicing?

Had a Nissan Leaf 10 years ago. Was a pain in the arse as it only did 90 miles.

Got a Tesla M3 now which is much better as it gets 330miles out of a full charge. Charging infrastructure has improved in the last 12 months with rapid chargers springing up all over. Cost to charge goes up depending on how fast it charges. Still cheaper than a tank of petrol though. 

My daily commute is 10miles each way and I get free charging at the hospital so it suits me. Wouldn't fancy an electric car if it was the only car in the household on if I regularly had to make long trips 

I bought a diesel, treated myself to a Q5 because I do a LOT of motorway miles.

There is a clean air zone in discussion in Manchester now so I might have fucked myself.

I will get an electric at some point but I don’t have a drive/garage so the infrastructure isn’t there yet 

7 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've been thinking about going electric, I've got a hybrid and don't drive loads but then again, probably need to see what and where my next job is? 

Always thought that was the sensible compromise until sufficient cheap infrastructure was in place for charging a fully electric car. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Always thought that was the sensible compromise until sufficient cheap infrastructure was in place for charging a fully electric car. 

By all accounts home charging is even cheaper than the hybrid option, you can set it to charge for the cheapest tariff, you can even set the heating to come on at a pre-set time for the winter months. I'm tempted but it's finding an affordable car with decent space in the back to accommodate a wheelchair. Apparently motability fit you a charger gratis and to keep for good if you leave scheme. (The missus is entitled to be on the scheme). Like I say, in current circumstances my driving would probably suit an electric car but the future could be different?

• Like 1

The cost of EV's is eye watering isn't it? Everything I would want is 40k plus, fuck knows how much J69's Tesla is? Then the resale is a problem because the prices aren't great as the batteries obvioulsy degrade over time. Then the price of electicity has massively increased, making the whole thing much less attractive. I'll keep waiting. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

The cost of EV's is eye watering isn't it? Everything I would want is 40k plus, fuck knows how much J69's Tesla is? Then the resale is a problem because the prices aren't great as the batteries obvioulsy degrade over time. Then the price of electicity has massively increased, making the whole thing much less attractive. I'll keep waiting. 

I always thought they were a lot more expensive but the one I'm looking at is only a touch more expensive than it's diesel equivalent with the added bonus of less servicing costs, running costs and £500+ a year in road tax.

I think the batteries hold up quite well and should last 10-15 years.

Not to go all Chez Given but it's a BMW IX. I can basically get the same money in trade in for my car that I paid for it three years ago and it's getting to an age where it's going to take a dip in value soon so I may as well add to it and get something good.

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Not to go all Chez Given but it's a BMW IX. I can basically get the same money in trade in for my car that I paid for it three years ago and it's getting to an age where it's going to take a dip in value soon so I may as well add to it and get something good.

Make It Rain Money GIF

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Definitely in this country where there are long distances between what little infastructure we have for electric vehicles. Fine if you never leave the city but a trip an hour of two in an direction from a metro and you're going to be pushing a big scalectrix until you find a powerpoint or an extension cable long enough.

• Like 2