Niall Quinn

DanTheMan

more information on this now coming out, from The Journel

I had to laugh when I read of Niall Quinn's big gesture providing taxis for stranded Sunderland fans when their flight was cancelled on Saturday, March 30, following their match at Cardiff ("Quinn pays £8,000 to get fans back home", The Journal, April 2).

I was on the plane with my severely disabled wife and three-year-old daughter. Mr Quinn certainly didn't offer us any help.

As my wife is completely dependent on a wheelchair, we had already pre-boarded by the time the Sunderland party arrived. To my mind, it was clear that they had had more than "a few drinks"; in my opinion, most of the group stank of booze. Some seemed to stagger as they boarded and by the time they were all on, the cabin smelt like a brewery.

Contrary to what has been written in some newspapers, there was aggressive behaviour from members of the party.

The female cabin crew were genuinely worried and my wife felt frightened and vulnerable.

The initial intention had been to remove one or two specific people and then get underway, but at this point other members of the party started getting off and causing trouble. It was then that the police were called. The pilot was right to refuse passage; he couldn't guarantee our safety. Nobody knows if there would have been an in-flight incident, but it was a chance he couldn't take. Everyone knows that if you turn up to fly having had a skinful, you're likely to be turned away.

It's thanks to inconsiderate people who appear to be unable to go anywhere without being drip-fed alcohol, that a disabled woman and a three year-old spent several uncomfortable hours on a cold plane miles from home.

In the end, easyJet looked after us very well, providing accommodation and transport. And it's a fact they offered to pay for everyone's accommodation. Their only mistake was to allow the group to board in the first place. Niall Quinn has had some great publicity. I'm sure £8,000 won't make too much of a dent in his wallet.

But the group from Sunderland shouldn't be painted as victims; they inconvenienced a lot of people and newspaper reports let them get away with it.

RICHARD GOODING, Newton Hall, County Durham

I had to laugh when I read of Niall Quinn's big gesture providing taxis for stranded Sunderland fans when their flight was cancelled on Saturday, March 30, following their match at Cardiff ("Quinn pays £8,000 to get fans back home", The Journal, April 2).

I was on the plane with my severely disabled wife and three-year-old daughter. Mr Quinn certainly didn't offer us any help.

As my wife is completely dependent on a wheelchair, we had already pre-boarded by the time the Sunderland party arrived. To my mind, it was clear that they had had more than "a few drinks"; in my opinion, most of the group stank of booze. Some seemed to stagger as they boarded and by the time they were all on, the cabin smelt like a brewery.

Contrary to what has been written in some newspapers, there was aggressive behaviour from members of the party.

The female cabin crew were genuinely worried and my wife felt frightened and vulnerable.

The initial intention had been to remove one or two specific people and then get underway, but at this point other members of the party started getting off and causing trouble. It was then that the police were called. The pilot was right to refuse passage; he couldn't guarantee our safety. Nobody knows if there would have been an in-flight incident, but it was a chance he couldn't take. Everyone knows that if you turn up to fly having had a skinful, you're likely to be turned away.

It's thanks to inconsiderate people who appear to be unable to go anywhere without being drip-fed alcohol, that a disabled woman and a three year-old spent several uncomfortable hours on a cold plane miles from home.

In the end, easyJet looked after us very well, providing accommodation and transport. And it's a fact they offered to pay for everyone's accommodation. Their only mistake was to allow the group to board in the first place. Niall Quinn has had some great publicity. I'm sure £8,000 won't make too much of a dent in his wallet.

But the group from Sunderland shouldn't be painted as victims; they inconvenienced a lot of people and newspaper reports let them get away with it.

Like I said before, I doubt EasyJet would have hoyed them off for nowt. If I was on a plane and it was our lot pissed up and causing bother I'd want them hoyed off as well.

It's pretty obvious they were bladdered. There's a picture of our friend wtdog doing the rounds asleep on the airport floor with a half drank bottle of wine next to him. I for one don't believe that they were just tipsy.

The 4 million page thread on the SMB all patting quinn on the back has had Paully the Mag just add that to it and..surprise surprise...a handful of replies...most of them saying the Journal is a Newcastle paper and it's one of us on the wind up. :lol:

Like I said before, I doubt EasyJet would have hoyed them off for nowt. If I was on a plane and it was our lot pissed up and causing bother I'd want them hoyed off as well.

I still think it was a honourable gesture from Quinn, it's not really his fault that most football fans are tramps...

The 4 million page thread on the SMB all patting quinn on the back has had Paully the Mag just add that to it and..surprise surprise...a handful of replies...most of them saying the Journal is a Newcastle paper and it's one of us on the wind up. :lol:

They're on top form today like :D

They've got the 8k Taxi thread, guiness1989's thread claiming that they're 100% up and the 'Easy 6 points' thread :D

They will definitely extend. Initially to 62,000 (to beat the mags ) and who knows after that? If we were competing in the Champions League we could fill 80k.

What's our record again? 75K?

Err Makems eh? :lol:

one of their 19 point type relegation season their was a quality thread on the smb. they'd managed to beat liverpool at the stadium of light, despite been bottom of the league and heading towards relegation they were discussing how they were only 3 or 4 players away from competing for a UEFA cup place next season

Some of our fans may have been drunk, but the gesture from the big man was great all the same. Really couldnt see Shepherd doing it, but thats not a dig, were just very lucky to have a quality chairman. I agree that you as our rival fans will try to find ways to sledge him, but as the only fans in the UK doing so proves a fair point too.

The attendances we get after a season with 15 points arent too bad to be honest either :lol:

Changing topic have anyone on here heard any echo's of a "alleged" pre-season tournament between us?

Some of our fans may have been drunk, but the gesture from the big man was great all the same. Really couldnt see Shepherd doing it, but thats not a dig, were just very lucky to have a quality chairman. I agree that you as our rival fans will try to find ways to sledge him, but as the only fans in the UK doing so proves a fair point too.

The attendances we get after a season with 15 points arent too bad to be honest either :lol:

Changing topic have anyone on here heard any echo's of a "alleged" pre-season tournament between us?

Aye I heard there was some meeting between Quinn and Shepherd a few weeks ago.

I'm sure Roeder said he wanted us to play the likes of Tow Law and West Auckland in preperation for next season.

We should have some north east competition, us, Sunderland, Darlo, Hartlepool, we could even invite Boro along. Policing nightmare thogh

The mackem's are obviously getting ridiculously carried away, but to me there is no doubt things are moving forward for them in contrast to us, so I'm seriously worried. Which is why we really need a new investor to the club to take us forward. Newcastle should be a much better investment than Sunderland so why can't we get anyone? Our debts and Shepherd's over valueing of the club?

The mackem's are obviously getting ridiculously carried away, but to me there is no doubt things are moving forward for them in contrast to us, so I'm seriously worried. Which is why we really need a new investor to the club to take us forward. Newcastle should be a much better investment than Sunderland so why can't we get anyone? Our debts and Shepherd's over valueing of the club?

Our investment came from an ex-player, so it wasnt really a business idea. I think first of all you have to get rid of Shepherd to stand any chance of a change. The debt could also be an issue like, the club have never actually been honest on how much it is.

I'm sure Roeder said he wanted us to play the likes of Tow Law and West Auckland in preperation for next season.

We should have some north east competition, us, Sunderland, Darlo, Hartlepool, we could even invite Boro along. Policing nightmare thogh

Was it not meant to be Sunderland, Newcastle and a couple of decent European teams? :lol:

Our investment came from an ex-player, so it wasnt really a business idea.

How much exactly did Quinn put in? As far as I'm aware the majority of the money was put in by Irish investors who will be looking to see a return on their money so I would say it was a business idea.

Our investment came from an ex-player, so it wasnt really a business idea.

How much exactly did Quinn put in? As far as I'm aware the majority of the money was put in by Irish investors who will be looking to see a return on their money so I would say it was a business idea.

Think most of the money came from a consortium of irish investors, but quite abit came from some of his horse racing friends from Ireland........

To be honest i dont think they will want to see a return for their money, to them its more about exporting Ireland as a country into our league ala Celtic etc