very good owen article by koptalk.com

paddy

just found this, very good article!!

Owen would be a legend at Newcastle

Nobody wants Michael Owen at Anfield more than me. We're desperate for an experienced and proven hitman and St Mike fits the bill. But in all honesty if I was Michael Owen I'd snub Anfield and I'd sign for Newcastle United.

Newcastle are a massive club. They have won nothing of real interest but there's no doubting the potential that club has. I have loads of friends up in the north east, I even have family who live a stone's throw from St James' Park, I even have two season tickets at Newcastle - shocked? You shouldn't be because when I put in an appearance at any town or city around the country, I'll call in to the nearest football ground to see a match. The amount of neutral games I have been to, especially in recent years, is amazingly high but they're great fun to go to.

Because I was spending a lot of time in Newcastle I put my name down on the season ticket waiting list for a bit fo fun really, never expecting to hear anything for years. To my surprise I was offered two tickets within a year and they're bloody great seats, just 5 rows behind one of the goals. They're not as good as my seats at Anfield where I cheer on my beloved Reds and no, I don't support Newcastle, I just have an interest and a knowledge about the way things happen there. Even the lads around us at St James' know I'm a Red and when they netted right in front of me last time around I certainly came in for some stick. I know you probably think I'm mad but I just love football and if I can squeeze a few extra games in when Liverpool aren't in action then what's wrong with that?

Anyway, like Liverpool fans, Newcastle fans are very, very passionate about their football and of course their team. They should be a team challenging year in, year out but unfortunately it never seems to click for them. The Keegan era was fantastic and like most neutrals, I wanted them to win the League that year when Kev had his "just love it if we beat them" outburst. But it wasn't to be.

So what about Michael Owen? Well I want him at Anfield, of course I do but if he has to go somewhere else, I hope it's Newcastle because I tell you what, he'd love it there. He'd be idolised at St. James' Park, much more than he ever was at Anfield. Like Shearer, he'd become a legend but like Shearer, he could end up with no winners medals. If he wants to be loved unconditionally then St James' Park and not Anfield is the place for him to be.

If I was Michael Owen I'd opt for Newcastle purely because I'd be happy playing for 50,000+ fans who appreciated me week in, week out. At Liverpool the Kop cared more about the petulant Robbie Fowler frozen out in the stands (following a run-in with Phil Thompson) than they did a younger, fitter, leaner more professional Michael who was delivering on the pitch. No wonder Michael got upset when the Kop rarely sang his name.

The thought of playing for Freddy Shepherd wouldn't excite me though. Instead I'd rather be playing under the wing of David Moores at Anfield. It'd be great for Michael to line-up alongside Alan Shearer but that's come too late to make it worthwhile. Instead I'm sure he'd rather be playing back at Anfield with his best pal Jamie Carragher, fighting for silverware with Steven Gerrard rather than fighting down the Bigg Market with the likes of Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer. If Newcastle had a more professional offering then I think Michael wouldn't hesitate to join them on a permanent basis. But with a bit of effort on everyone's part at L4, Michael could become the club's all-time greatest striker.

Michael was wrong to walk out on Liverpool based on our European success. He'd need to win over a few die-hards to repair that bond if he was to return but some fans should also ask themselves if they contributed to his exit in the first place.

Who'll score the most goals and sell the most shirts? Peter Crouch or Michael Owen? Djibril Cisse or Michael Owen? Fernando Morientes or Michael Owen? Florent Sinama Pongolle or Michael Owen? Neil Mellor or Michael Owen?

Don't let Michael become a legend at another club....

I've always been surprised by how much more Fowler seemed to be loved there than Owen no matter what he did.

I'm sure some of the Liverpool fans on here could say if theres much truth in the Fowler/Owen thing and if so why Owen wasn't as popular as you'd expect.

I've always been surprised by how much more Fowler seemed to be loved there than Owen no matter what he did.

I'm sure some of the Liverpool fans on here could say if theres much truth in the Fowler/Owen thing and if so why Owen wasn't as popular as you'd expect.

23802[/snapback]

It is true. I think it's partly because he has always had a lot more character than Michael and was, in his short-lived prime, a better player; and also because Robbie's a scouser who we know would never even remotely consider playing for Man Utd - we don't get that impression with Owen.

I do think though that considering his contribution to the club he probably deserved a bit more singing than he got.

Edited by Cosmik Debris

The bit about Owen not being loved enough is very true but it didn't detract from his desire to come back. But I suspect if we had signed him he would still have had to have re-built bridges with some supporters. Some of his performances in his final year weren't good and there were lots of rumours about a clique being formed and players like Owen having too much power.

But with that said, when it was announced at half time that Owen scored his first goal for Real (as it was a CL night) the whole crowd stood up and clapped/cheered. That was great.

23802[/snapback]

It is true. I think it's partly because he has always had a lot more character than Michael and was, in his short-lived prime, a better player; and also because Robbie's a scouser who we know would never even remotely consider playing for Man Utd - we don't get that impression with Owen.

I do think though that considering his contribution to the club he probably deserved a bit more singing than he got.

23819[/snapback]

Cheers, its something i've heard many times, that Liverpool fans pretty much all worshipped Fowler but didn't feel the quite same about Owen. Wonder if it bothred him that much not being sung about as much as you'd expect for such a goal scorer?

23802[/snapback]

23819[/snapback]

Cheers, its something i've heard many times, that Liverpool fans pretty much all worshipped Fowler but didn't feel the quite same about Owen. Wonder if it bothred him that much not being sung about as much as you'd expect for such a goal scorer?

23833[/snapback]

He was still loved though by almost all fans (just the knee jerk, hyped up sky supporters who used to slag him off) and the club always bent over backwards for him. As I said above, he got a great reception when it was announced he had scored.

23802[/snapback]

23819[/snapback]

23833[/snapback]

He was still loved though by almost all fans (just the knee jerk, hyped up sky supporters who used to slag him off) and the club always bent over backwards for him. As I said above, he got a great reception when it was announced he had scored.

23839[/snapback]

Yeah, i was under the impression that obviously Liverpool fans loved him, just not the same as Fowler. And you will get that, every club has a player (or 1 or 2) who are just legends to everybody and can never quite be eclipsed by the next guy.

Quick question for the Liverpool fans:

Is there any slight resentment towards Owen over the way he handled his contract talks thus leading to his move to Madrid?

Yes he probably came out of production line at the wrong time so to speak. If he was a few years older and came after Rush it would've been different probably. I've got nothing against him now, I was gutted 12 hours ago but rather it be Toon than going to the mancs or chavs. Slightly annoyed though as I remember him often saying he'd never want to sign for another english club ahead of liverpool though.

edit :

Is there any slight resentment towards Owen over the way he handled his contract talks thus leading to his move to Madrid?

see above. Also, some people suggest it was Rafa who called his (and his agents) bluff by saying MO wasn't worth a 90k p/w contract and sold him to Real so he could sign Alonso and Garcia before the deadline. His dithering over a new contract for a year wasn't good though, but he held all the cards when Houllier was still in charge.

Edited by flagpole corner

Yes he probably came out of production line at the wrong time so to speak. If he was a few years older and came after Rush it would've been different probably. I've got nothing against him now, I was gutted 12 hours ago but rather it be Toon than going to the mancs or chavs. Slightly annoyed though as I remember him often saying he'd never want to sign for another english club ahead of liverpool though.

23850[/snapback]

I know what you mean, players are too quick to say these things then ultimately go against it. Like Alan "Mr Leeds, i'll never play for manu" Smith who ended up at manu!

Yeah it was a bit annoying that he didnt at least give Rafa some time, but then he never made any secret of wanting to maybe play abroad some day. I think he regretted the relatively low fee we got for him.

Also as flagpole says, it's rumoured that Rafa instigated the transfer.

Edited by Cosmik Debris