Fulham step up Bramble bid

Scottish Mag

Fulham have reacted to Glenn Roeder's decision to drop Titus Bramble by lodging their interest in the Newcastle centre-back.

Bramble, who can move on a lucrative Bosman-style free transfer in the summer, was not even in the squad of 16 which lost to Manchester City at the weekend, and the former England Under-21 international looks certain to leave St James's Park.

The 25-year-old was due to be offered a new contract at United until he was made the scapegoat for Newcastle's 2-0 Uefa Cup defeat to Alkmaar and the powerful defender appears to have fallen out with Roeder as a result.

Newcastle's manager insisted last month that he had not made a decision on Bramble's future, but the fact he did not even name him among the substitutes at the weekend was a massive snub, which appears to indicate he is no longer part of his plans.

Bramble's advisers have had a number of enquiries from Premiership and Championship clubs already this year, but the player had wanted to remain in the North-East and told them to wait for United to make their minds up before revealing plans for next season.

The former Ipswich prospect would, The Journal understands, still like to remain a United player, but he is unsure where he stands with Roeder. And with other clubs keen to get a decision as they formulate their own re-building plans, time is running out.

Bramble has been heavily linked with a switch to Portsmouth since January, where Harry Redknapp wants to pair him with Sol Campbell, but Fulham boss Chris Coleman has also been alerted to his availability after the events at the weekend.

A move to London might appeal to Bramble as it is close to his home town of Ipswich but, despite his mixed fortunes at St James's Park, Bramble is still admired by several Premiership managers who believe they can make him a consistently dominating defender.

The move to Portsmouth would probably be the most attractive proposition given that it would allow Bramble the chance to play alongside Campbell, a player he has the utmost respect for.

In turn, Redknapp believes Campbell would be the ideal player to bring out the best in Bramble, as he would benefit from his experience as well as his organisational skills.

Interestingly, this is a partnership which could have been built at Newcastle but Roeder did not want to sign the former England international last summer as he was not sure about his fitness record.

It is a decision which has backfired on Newcastle's manager as Campbell has been in magnificent form for Pompey, making 32 appearances as the south coast club push for a shock European place.

Bramble will not be the only departure in the summer and, as revealed in The Journal on Monday, Sunderland will make a bid for Damien Duff if they are promoted to the Premiership.

The Wearsiders have privately admitted they are interested in the former Chelsea star who has not lived up to expectations at United. And Duff could be persuaded to move as he would link up with a large Irish contingent on Wearside, as well as Keane, his former Eire captain.

Meanwhile, Craig Moore is expected to be fit for the trip to Sheffield United, despite limping off with a groin strain against Manchester City.

The Australian, who is expected to play in either the Middle East or his homeland next season, is hoping to return to training on Thursday.

Roeder said: "By getting Craig off the field when we did, we prevented any serious damage to his groin. He will be back training with us again by Thursday and we feel that he has a genuine chance of playing against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Saturday.

"Stephen Carr also took a knock on Saturday, but he will also be back on Thursday and will be OK for the weekend."

"Step up bid"? They shouldn't even have to get out of first gear tbh.

Coleman: Glenn boyo, I hear Titus Bramble's contract runs out this summer, isn't it?

Roeder: He's yours. Take him. Please?

So much for " Eight games to play for his future at the club". I doubt he'll play for us again.

I take back anything I've said about Bramble in a positive light, the lad should be driven to his next club by FFS and never be spoken of again.

I'd drive him to Craven Cottage myself.

Even drive up here first as well Jimbo lad?

It would be worth it. :o

Coleman: Glenn boyo, I hear Titus Bramble's contract runs out this summer, isn't it?

Roeder: He's yours. Take him. Please?

You hear that from his wife?

Aye, heard about that on the radio this morning. Crazy business!

portsmouth or fulham r welcome to him soon him and the rest of the deadwood leave the better

That only leaves us with Given. :o

This is you taking the piss again, right? :o