I'm not excited

Howaythetoon

I've always rated Owen, he for me is a world-class goalscorer and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine we would sign such a player, especially in our current climate. When the news broke that he had signed, a huge smile broke across my face and I shouted "yes" a few times and then I just settled down as if it was any other day.

I was more excited by the prospect of our forum going live again, to be honest.

I'm happy, don't get me wrong, but when I think back to how I was when we signed Shearer, well it doesn't even register. I think I was more excited when we signed Kluivert last season in fact, maybe that's because I was following it from midnight through to the actual press conference, reporting on it for the old Howaythetoon site.

Anyone else feel like me? Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet. Usually I'd be phoning everyone I know, rushing to the shops to buy all the papers, e-mailing everyone I know, watching SSN all day.

I watched it this morning for 10 minutes and then an hour ago for another 10 or so minutes while the adverts were on Revisita La Liga or whatever it's called.

Maybe our current plight hasn't helped.

I just feel I should be more excited than I am.

It was the same with the Luque, Emre and Parker deals too. Pleased they happened and thankful we could then move onto other targets, but nothing approaching excitement.

Yet Boumsong excited me, I was over the moon when we signed him for some reason.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When we signed Shearer we were in expectation of making that last step to become champions.  That's the difference.

23939[/snapback]

Plus that was the biggest transfer the world had ever seen, from a team that had won things with him, and we got him from under Manure's noses.

i was excited when i got the phone call telling me it had been confirmed and i four year deal had been agreed. i spoke about it for the next hour then when i arrived in newcastle because i was on my way there anyway, i went to SJP and people were getting interviewed and stuff and i didnt really feel too excited. mind you come a week on saturday when he is lining up against fulham, the feeling could change again

I'm everything you expected you should be HTT...

Last time I felt like this was when Shearer signed, but this is bigger to me because there was always the belief that Shearer was simply 'coming home'..

Before that it was when KK signed, but then I didn't really fully understand that one as I was only 5 and also KK was in the twilight of his career...

Owen is IMO, the best English striker there is and he's very much in his prime!

i was excited when i got the phone call telling me it had been confirmed and i four year deal had been agreed. i spoke about it for the next hour then when i arrived in newcastle because i was on my way there anyway, i went to SJP and people were getting interviewed and stuff and i didnt really feel too excited. mind you come a week on saturday when he is lining up against fulham, the feeling could change again

23953[/snapback]

That's when it will sink in for me tbh.

23953[/snapback]

That's when it will sink in for me tbh.

23957[/snapback]

especially if he scores a few :fuk:

Will be a bit special when he scores and someone like Martin Tyler shouts "Owen!!!".

23965[/snapback]

"It's Michael Owen for Newcastle United!"

That would be totally weird. that would make me feel excited if i heard that.

"Who would have thought that Michael Owen would have scored a hatrick against his former club Liverpool at Anfield to give Newcastle a 3-0 win" :fuk:

:razz:

Last time I felt like this was when Shearer signed, but this is bigger to me because there was always the belief that Shearer was simply 'coming home'..

Before that it was when KK signed, but then I didn't really fully understand that one as I was only 5 and also KK was in the twilight of his career...

23954[/snapback]

The Shearer signing was always going to be special. I grew up in a poor area and money was tight in my house. Many of my family had to move away to earn a better living and it was always Geordies leaving Newcastle to make good of their lives in my area. Fathers were always away Doon South to earnm a wage packet. I was almost brainwashed from an early age with the mantra that I'd have to move away from Newcastle if I wanted to make good of my life.

So Shearer, a Geordie who had left Newcastle to make good of his life, returninging home to better himself, well the club and City had come full circle. I think that's why it captured the imagination of everyone in the City, even those not really interested in football.

I remember being on the bus the following day and two old biddies were discussing it and saying things like "eeh, isn't it smashing for the lad coming home after all these years, eeh I hope he does well and his family get looked after".

The sheer buzz was crazy.

I was only a teenager at the time and I was running about the street screaming my head off. Everyone was out (very hot day) just talking about it.

I guess I'll start shitting my kegs when he scores against Fulham or tomorrow when he's actualy being paraded. I hope so anyway.

As good as today was, and although people are definitely getting a buzz from it, even miserable buggers like me, it in no way comes close to how it felt when Shearer signed, for reasons that have already been mentioned.

The only people who are going to agree with you Craig on this one are people who were too young to feel the buzz last time round. It was sensational with a real beliefthat we were going to bag the title (not just deluded souls like Smogeordie :fuk:).

And although I rate Owen highly as a goal scorer, to be honest I don't think he is a patch on the player Shearer was in 1996. Not even close.

23954[/snapback]

The Shearer signing was always going to be special. I grew up in a poor area and money was tight in my house. Many of my family had to move away to earn a better living and it was always Geordies leaving Newcastle to make good of their lives in my area. Fathers were always away Doon South to earnm a wage packet. I was almost brainwashed from an early age with the mantra that I'd have to move away from Newcastle if I wanted to make good of my life.

So Shearer, a Geordie who had left Newcastle to make good of his life, returninging home to better himself, well the club and City had come full circle. I think that's why it captured the imagination of everyone in the City, even those not really interested in football.

I remember being on the bus the following day and two old biddies were discussing it and saying things like "eeh, isn't it smashing for the lad coming home after all these years, eeh I hope he does well and his family get looked after".

The sheer buzz was crazy.

I was only a teenager at the time and I was running about the street screaming my head off. Everyone was out (very hot day) just talking about it.

I guess I'll start shitting my kegs when he scores against Fulham or tomorrow when he's actualy being paraded. I hope so anyway.

24000[/snapback]

Christ, the media would love you.

Bah, I think HTT is only annoyed that his theory that Fat Fred isn't backing the manager with cash fell to pieces with two signings worth more thatn 25m in a week.

Terrible feeling to be wrong, eh.

:fuk:

Shearer being a geordie is a factor, the fact we thought we had a team good enough go and win the league was also a factor.

But the biggest factor is the difference between the feel good optimistic factor that Keegan created against the one Souness does.

Shearer being a geordie is a factor, the fact we thought we had a team good enough go and win the league was also a factor.

But the biggest factor is the difference between the feel good optimistic factor that Keegan created against the one Souness does.

24137[/snapback]

definitely. We were adding Shearer to a quality team that looked like having a real chance of winning the title. This time we're buying a player who will likely help us to a midtable finish. My joy for the signing of Owen is tempered by the unease at the way the team is prepared,managed and currently plays.

Bah, I think HTT is only annoyed that his theory that Fat Fred isn't backing the manager with cash fell to pieces with two signings worth more thatn 25m in a week.

Terrible feeling to be wrong, eh.

:fuk:

24123[/snapback]

When I read the bit about more excited by Boumsong I assumed it was a wind up to be honest.

Wow, after the third thread on here telling us your not over the moon about this I think I finally believe you.

24203[/snapback]

I take it N-O is still ferked then.

I still aint as excited as I should be because I realise we are still woefully short in terms of our overall squad and our defence is still fairly sh*te and has had no investment or improvement over the summer.