Roeder cool on strike duo return

Jimbo

Roeder cool on strike duo return

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he will not rush Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi into a return for the reserves against Manchester United on Wednesday.

The strike duo are both back in training after serious injuries but Roeder has no intention of being hasty.

"Owen won't play in the reserves and neither will Ameobi," Roeder said. "But they are back on the training ground and playing football.

"Both are doing well but it's a long way from Premiership football."

Owen is targeting a return to action this season after making a good recovery from surgery on a cruciate knee ligament.

"We've not put a date on when Owen will return simply because he is a world-class footballer and he is of interest to world football," said Roeder.

"If he doesn't make that date hysteria breaks out and there is no need to.

"He will continue his build up in training this week, as will Shola.

"It didn't seem the right thing to do playing him in the reserves. There would have been too much interest."

I wouldn't play either of them this season.

Me neither, we are basically safe from the drop and have little to play for.

I expect Owen will push to get a few appearances in so that he can go and play for England in the Euro 2008 qualifier in the summer.

I wouldn't play either of them this season.

Me neither, we are basically safe from the drop and have little to play for.

I expect Owen will push to get a few appearances in so that he can go and play for England in the Euro 2008 qualifier in the summer.

Aye I'm sure he'll want to, but it'll be best for the club if he plays as little as possible this season (and indeed probably misses those qualifiers tbh - although I can see him agreeing to that if he's anything close to fit).

I think we will be lucky to see Owen play more than a couple of match, but i can at least seem him coming on for the last home game for a cameo appearance.

I would bring em both on for the final minute or so of the last home game, but that's all.

No point in risking them at all. We've got nigh on 5 months to get the pair of them up to peak fitness, I suggest we use that time properly.

I would bring em both on for the final minute or so of the last home game, but that's all.

No point in risking them at all. We've got nigh on 5 months to get the pair of them up to peak fitness, I suggest we use that time properly.

I reckon the odd half here and there will boost their confidence and make then more confident for the season ahead. Similar to Taylor playing in Shearers testimonial.

Roeder cools Owen talk

By Alex Livie - Created on 9 Apr 2007

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has revealed Michael Owen is on the brink of a return to action, but ruled out the striker facing Hartlepool in a friendly on Wednesday.

Owen has not played competitive football since suffering a serious knee injury on World Cup duty last summer.

The forward's rehabilitation has gone as planned and he has made good progress in the last six weeks.

Speculation had suggested the forward and fellow long-term injury victim Shola Ameobi would be let loose on Wednesday.

Roeder has admitted the club had considered fielding the pair, but has opted to keep their powder dry.

"With Michael, it is quite simple, very simple: the very fact we considered him for a game on Wednesday - and Shola is the same - and have decided not to play either of them just shows you how close both of them are to playing," said Roeder.

"You can make your own assumptions from that.

"Michael Owen is world news, not just British news, in football. If I say he is going to play in the middle of next week and he does not, hysteria breaks out that he has had a setback when he, for sure, has not.

"All I can say is we are getting very, very close. He is in great shape, he really is. Honestly, he is in great shape."

Roeder admits that he will look to tee-up a game when he feels the time is right.

He said: "We can pick up the phone to any local club and get a friendly pretty quickly, within a day.

"But we have not thought about arranging a friendly for next week just yet. We will see how this week goes first."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...cools+Owen+talk

According to nufc.com:

Back in action:

Strike duo return

Tuesday morning saw both Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi make a playing return for Newcastle in a behind closed doors friendly match against Scottish side Gretna.

More details to follow.

According to nufc.com:

Back in action:

Strike duo return

Tuesday morning saw both Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi make a playing return for Newcastle in a behind closed doors friendly match against Scottish side Gretna.

More details to follow.

Gretna would have spanked us, they're on fire again this season.

Newcastle old boy Colin McMenamin (sp?) is top scorer in the league with 23~ish

Offiong also scoring a few up there.... Chopra leading the Champiship as well

According to nufc.com:

Back in action:

Strike duo return

More details to follow.

Scored apparently as did Sherla. :D